Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Gas Mileage

Gas Mileage (Page 2)
dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by george68:
This coming from someone who drives an SUV. Funny, but it makes me sad inside that people can be so dumb.

- Rob
It makes me sad that people can so completely ignore the facts:
1 - I need a large vehicle
2 - I am able to buy one, as I live in a free country
3 - Out of the 4 or 5 minivans (which was your suggestion) I looked at, they all weigh approximately the same and get comparable mileage to my truck

I'm sorry, what is your argument? Do you knock the UPS guy for driving a big-ass brown truck too? I suppose he could stuff all those packages into a nice little sedan. I work for the Post Office as a rural carrier - if I worked on a route that supplies one, I would drive a big Postal van, but I suppose they're stupid for using large vehicles as well.

Pull your head out of your ass for once, dude. Just this once.

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by dampeoples:
I deliver the mail in a 2000 Chevy Blazer, and it's killing me fuel-wise.
serves you right! go get an toyo echo or somethin..

PowerMatt
Senior User
Aug 31, 2004, 09:17 PM

If you service your vehicle yourself (i.e. oil & filter changes, etc), you should also check the tranny fluid to make sure it is still red. It is very easy to tell if your tranny fluid is bad because it will become brownish. I am assuming you have a 2WD Blazer, but if it is in fact 4WD, make sure you also get the differentials and transfer case serviced.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

PowerMatt
Senior User
Aug 31, 2004, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by amsalpemkcus:
serves you right! go get an toyo echo or somethin..
Unwrap your arms from around your tree long enough to read the entire thread. By the way, Toyo makes tires, Toyota makes the Echo!! Cheers! I couldn't resist.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

qualey2
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2004, 09:30 PM

>shrug< I don't think that's really necessary, seems a bit overkill. I just drain and refill the ATF at every oil change.

- Rob
Way wrong, I am a techinican and have been for almost 16 years. When you "just drain and re-fill" you are only changing about 1/3 of the fluid in the trans. You have the converter which does not get emptied when you empty the pan, not to mention the drums and valve body.

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 09:37 PM

I drive my children and boat around, and I can't fit the volume of mail I get in a car
ok ok ok
buy an echo and put this pouch on top for mail

keep the guzzler and take your time polluting and going broke..no rush

george68
Banned
Aug 31, 2004, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by qualey2:
Way wrong, I am a techinican and have been for almost 16 years. When you "just drain and re-fill" you are only changing about 1/3 of the fluid in the trans. You have the converter which does not get emptied when you empty the pan, not to mention the drums and valve body.
I've never said it did remove all the fluid. I merely stated that getting it flushed every 30k is a bit much. Draining and refilling, while not replacing all the fluid, does provide quite a bit of fresh fluid to the system. If you're replacing 6 of the 12 quarts every 3k miles, I don't see how the fluid could ever go bad.

- Rob

george68
Banned
Aug 31, 2004, 11:04 PM

It makes me sad that people can so completely ignore the facts:
1 - I need a large vehicle
Wrong. You need a vehicle that provides quite a bit of interior room. That does not mean you have to drive a gas guzzling piss poor handling inadequate braking pathetic accelerating trend-whore mobile.

Look back into history 30 years, 20, 15, or 10, and see what type of vehicle someone with your job was driving. It was probably most likely NOT an SUV, hence you do not NEED the ****ing poser-mobile.

Quit justifying it. The ONLY reason to have an SUV is if you go off roading all the time, otherwise it's a complete waste.

- Rob

mindwaves
Aug 31, 2004, 11:09 PM

I get about 24mpg. This is with relatively rapid acclearation (relatively rapid because my car does not go fast by any sense of the word), air conditioning on usually, and mostly freeway speeds (70mph).

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by amsalpemkcus:
ok ok ok
buy an echo and put this pouch on top for mail

keep the guzzler and take your time polluting and going broke..no rush
I can't afford to purchase a new vehicle right now, besides, most things would get poor mileage.
Putting the mail on the roof? I need storage space, lots of it...

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 01:09 AM

Wrong. You need a vehicle that provides quite a bit of interior room. That does not mean you have to drive a gas guzzling piss poor handling inadequate braking pathetic accelerating trend-whore mobile.

Look back into history 30 years, 20, 15, or 10, and see what type of vehicle someone with your job was driving. It was probably most likely NOT an SUV, hence you do not NEED the ****ing poser-mobile.

Quit justifying it. The ONLY reason to have an SUV is if you go off roading all the time, otherwise it's a complete waste.

- Rob
I love how you conviently dodge the problem. As stated before, during normal operation, my truck gets the same mileage as the van you mentioned earlier, someone even posted that it was 17-25, mine's a 2WD so that might make it higher during normal use, but thanks anyway. What were you saying about gas guzzling?

Piss poor handling? I waws unaware that I needed to swerve in and out of traffic while transporting my boat, family or mail.

Inadequate braking? Yeah, you've got me there, I didn't go buy silly vented rotors, my bad.

Pathetic accelerating? Compared to what? Other trucks? Corvettes? Tractor Trailers?

I am looking back, and they drove Jeep vehicles to deliver the mail - also look back at the volume of mail then vs. now. Oh yeah, that's right, population growth, more mailboxes, more mail - starting to make sense? I didn't think so, it doesn't fit your narrow minded train of thought, and it's something you know nothing about.

Why does going offroad all the time justify owning an SUV? Isn't it still being wasteful while it's doing on-road duty? Pick a side of the fence.

You're an idiot man, plain and simple. I have no idea why i'm even engaged into a conversation with you, you can't even behave on an internet forum without getting banned, you must be a joy in the real world.

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by mindwaves:
I get about 24mpg. This is with relatively rapid acclearation (relatively rapid because my car does not go fast by any sense of the word), air conditioning on usually, and mostly freeway speeds (70mph).
That's the thing, mostly freeway speeds. I get comparable mileage with the same type of driving. It's a whole lot more efficient to keep something moving than constantly restarting.

I'd like to know exactly how the estimated mileage is calculated (the mileage advertised on the new car sticker), I bet it's either just that - calculated and padded, or figured driving using all the tricks, such as slow accelerating, only driving 55, coasting, etc.

george68
Banned
Sep 1, 2004, 01:54 AM

I love how you conviently dodge the problem. As stated before, during normal operation, my truck gets the same mileage as the van you mentioned earlier, someone even posted that it was 17-25, mine's a 2WD so that might make it higher during normal use, but thanks anyway. What were you saying about gas guzzling?
For fifty years the sedan was improved. Then we threw all of that away when people thought it'd be trendy to purchase an SUV. You are a trendwhore. Period. You were saying originally your car was getting FIVE MILES PER GALLON. That's ****ING PATHETIC. A freaking 1970 hemi-cuda got better gas mileage than your pretend off road poser-mobile.

Piss poor handling?
Is this a question? Maybe you didn't hear me the first time. Your car has a high center of gravity, soft springs, and dinky swaybars. This results in **** handling, a higher chance of rollover, and terrible emergency avoidance manuevers. Your stupid poser mobile gets a pathetic .71 g's on the slalom..... almost ANY car/minivan will best that score.

I waws unaware that I needed to swerve in and out of traffic while transporting my boat, family or mail.
I've never said you needed to swerve anywhere.... point is, your stupid blazer will most likely run into something/flip over in an emergency situation. Good handling= a safer car. Car that pretends to be an offroad vehicle with a high center of gravity and crap suspension= not safe. Oh yeah, you also have a live rear axle, which means on uneven surfaces it's going to be even MORE unstable.

Inadequate braking? Yeah, you've got me there, I didn't go buy silly vented rotors, my bad.
Your Blazer uses a truck chassis, which is damn heavy. With a curb weight of almost 4000lbs, it stops from 60 mph in over 150ft.

SUVs suck major ass at braking.

Pathetic accelerating? Compared to what? Other trucks? Corvettes? Tractor Trailers?
Accelerating to 60mph takes over 9 seconds. That's pretty pathetic.

I am looking back, and they drove Jeep vehicles to deliver the mail - also look back at the volume of mail then vs. now. Oh yeah, that's right, population growth, more mailboxes, more mail - starting to make sense? I didn't think so, it doesn't fit your narrow minded train of thought, and it's something you know nothing about.
Think station wagon. Handling, braking, and acceleration close to a car, yet the interior room of an SUV.

Why does going offroad all the time justify owning an SUV?
Because that's what they were designed for. Driving an SUV on road all the time defeats the purpose of owning one in the first place.

You're an idiot man, bla bla bla
Incorrect. Look at who is driving the SUV.

- Rob

hayesk
Sep 1, 2004, 09:02 AM

I agree with Rob, though not so rudely.

If you really need cargo space, you'd have purchased a minivan. But wait, minivans are for soccer moms right - they're not cool. If any of you were thinking this, then admit that you bought your SUV because it is trendy. If you didn't care about such superficial things, then why not buy the minivan?

It's a free country. Sure, that's why you are allowed to drive your SUV. And others are free to tell you what they think of your vehicle decision.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2004, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by PowerMatt:
Unwrap your arms from around your tree long enough to read the entire thread. By the way, Toyo makes tires, Toyota makes the Echo!! Cheers! I couldn't resist.
My piano is a Toyo!

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 12:55 PM

I would have just said to trade it in for a station wagon, my uncle used to deliver the mail around a few towns in Southern Ontario that way. I imagine trying to reach into mailboxes on posts is easier from a Blazer though.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 02:18 PM

1993 RX-7 3 MPG to 30 MPG depending on boost and how I'm driving. Average around 450 miles per tank.
Looking into converting a newer golf into a grease-car for longer commutes.
Ride my Raleigh MTB most places, doesn't cost me anything other then a a few calories.

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
I agree with Rob, though not so rudely.

If you really need cargo space, you'd have purchased a minivan. But wait, minivans are for soccer moms right - they're not cool. If any of you were thinking this, then admit that you bought your SUV because it is trendy. If you didn't care about such superficial things, then why not buy the minivan?

It's a free country. Sure, that's why you are allowed to drive your SUV. And others are free to tell you what they think of your vehicle decision.
The Blazer was purchased because it's what my wife wanted, she now wants a minivan because we have more kids. It also gets roughly the same mileage as a minivan - where is your argument again?
If you don't like SUV's fine, but don't bag them, then recommend something that's no better.

Oh, and the family machine we had before that was a Cherokee, bought in '93 - before SUV's became 'trendy' and hated by jealous? folks. I've always driven trucks - when I go shopping - I look at trucks. Same as folks who have always driven sports cars or sedans, you find something you like - you stick with it.
( Last edited by dampeoples; Sep 1, 2004 at 04:35 PM. )

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:
I would have just said to trade it in for a station wagon, my uncle used to deliver the mail around a few towns in Southern Ontario that way. I imagine trying to reach into mailboxes on posts is easier from a Blazer though.
A station wagon wouldn't be a bad idea, they just don't make many of them anymore, and the ones that are still left get bad mileage, are older, and more prone to break, or are new, something I cannot afford.
My truck is 2WD, so it's not raised any, although not everyone has there box at the same height, I find myself reaching up for some, and damn near having to get out to reach others.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 05:03 PM

A station wagon wouldn't be a bad idea, they just don't make many of them anymore, and the ones that are still left get bad mileage, are older, and more prone to break, or are new, something I cannot afford.
True, the era of the big ass station wagon is behind us. My Dad used to have one of these beasts, 1976 Grand Safari

Thing lasted 16 years, and would have gone more with a rebuilt transmission, the engine was in top shape.

Frankly, I doubt anything's going to get great gas mileage on a stop/start low speed route like mail delivery.

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 05:08 PM

Frankly, I doubt anything's going to get great gas mileage on a stop/start low speed route like mail delivery.
Sadly, I'm starting to figure that out
Talking to some of the folks at the PO, they all get pretty comparable mileage, with stuff like Jeeps, Cherokees, station wagons and other trucks. One lady that runs a tiny auxiallary route has a Cavalier, and her mileage stinks too. I did look around on the net and saw that my tank was 17 or 18 gallons, not 20 as I thought, so maybe it's not all that bad

marusin
Senior User
Sep 1, 2004, 05:14 PM

Actually, there are more station wagons/wagon-type vehicles being made right now then there has been in many years...

You can get a pretty decent Subaru with AWD, good gas mileage and the room you need for not much money. Volvo makes very nice wagons which are not as much money as you may think they are (and the used ones last forever and are even cheaper).

My truck is 2WD, so it's not raised any, although not everyone has there box at the same height, I find myself reaching up for some, and damn near having to get out to reach others.

hayesk
Sep 1, 2004, 05:17 PM

Ford, Volkswagen, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Volvo all make stationwagons. You should be able to find a few around.

Edit: didn't notice that not afford new part.
( Last edited by hayesk; Sep 1, 2004 at 05:29 PM. )

hayesk
Sep 1, 2004, 05:23 PM

The Blazer was purchased because it's what my wife wanted, she now wants a minivan because we have more kids. It also gets roughly the same mileage as a minivan - where is your argument again?
Uhm, it's right there. Minivan has more cargo space than an SUV. That was my point. If you are going to throw away your gas mileage, a minivan has more cargo space. Also, it is safer.

If you don't like SUV's fine, but don't bag them, then recommend something that's no better.
I told you why it is better - you ignored it.

Oh, and the family machine we had before that was a Cherokee, bought in '93 - before SUV's became 'trendy' and hated by jealous? folks. I've always driven trucks - when I go shopping - I look at trucks. Same as folks who have always driven sports cars or sedans, you find something you like - you stick with it.
Sure - as I said, you are free to do so. I am also free to question your reasons. What does an SUV give you that a station wagon or minivan doesn't?

george68
Banned
Sep 1, 2004, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
What does an SUV give you that a station wagon or minivan doesn't?
The ability for Ca$h to own you on the macnn forums.

- $

qualey2
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2004, 07:32 PM

Man this thread has spun right the fu*k outa control. He has questions about gas milage, and now that is solved from what I read let the dying horse just die.

There is no reason to beat him up on HIS CHOICE OF WHAT TO DRIVE. If he feels the s-10 is his best option so be it.

You are all starting to sound like the FCC and MY CHOICE of what to listen to on the radio and watch on tv if I choose to.

george68
Banned
Sep 1, 2004, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by qualey2:

You are all starting to sound like the FCC and MY CHOICE of what to listen to on the radio and watch on tv if I choose to.
It's not the same ****ing ballpark.

His 'choice' (as if it were a choice, he's obviously a lemming brainwashed by society) impacts MY insurances rates (health and automobile, since he's more likely to flip over and die), it affects my planet (waste of resources and a big polluter), and causes a direct danger to me (being rearended by a vehicle that has shitty brakes, handling, etc).

He sucks.

- Rob

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 11:08 PM

1 - I already had the truck, and cannot afford to get another, thanks for the recommendations though. Thanks for the suggestions on improving mileage too.
2 - A minivan's seats are pretty high off the floor, whereas laying the back seats of my truck down puts the mail within reach from the seat - a matter of convience, since I can't afford another car, I don't need to place something back there to bring the mail up to my level as I would in a minivan.
3 - I'm glad my personal preference in cars raises your insurance, blah, blah, blah. I should buy another you whiny bitch. You went from saying that SUV's are OK if you have a boat (check), lots of people (check), or another need (check) to saying they are only good for offroading (no-check, it's 2WD), to they are not good at all. Where do you stand?
4 - Owned who? Posting a picture of captain planet and someone kicking a kid, weh-heh-ell. That and calling me names, good one, I guess I am owned. You win. Oh wait - I STILL drive a Blazer, guess I win after all.

george68
Banned
Sep 1, 2004, 11:58 PM

bla bla bla
I've already proven to you how SUVs are inferior at every aspect of vehicle performance. Let me put it simply:

If you drive an SUV, I do not respect you at all. You are a lemming.

- Rob

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 12:03 AM

His 'choice' (as if it were a choice, he's obviously a lemming brainwashed by society) impacts MY insurances rates (health and automobile, since he's more likely to flip over and die), it affects my planet (waste of resources and a big polluter), and causes a direct danger to me (being rearended by a vehicle that has shitty brakes, handling, etc).
You live nowhere near him.

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 12:49 AM

The only thing that irritates me about SUVs is how men try to justify them by calling them trucks

Anyway vans ARE the ultimate in carrying people.. you don't have to jump over a huge ass middle seat to get to the back, and there's usually still more room in the end.. lower center of gravity, etc..

Then again a station wagon on really big tires must be enticing.. oh wait who's the soccer mom now? I thought they drove station wagons before. lol.

The thing that cracks me up are these "crossover" vehicles like the chrysler pacifica. They get crappy mileage, have huge tires, but they're station wagons. LOL.

Anyway, not to bag on ya.. fine with what ya drive but not much else to say...
Aloha

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 11:35 AM

Even my '84 VW rabbit gives me 30 MPG, even without roof
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 06:22 PM

If you drive an SUV, I do not respect you at all. You are a lemming.

- Rob
Aw man, I was really wanting to be in the cash crew, oh well, there's always the zimphire fan club

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by cenutrio:
Even my '84 VW rabbit gives me 30 MPG, even without roof
Not driving a mail route it won't!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

frido:mac
Sep 3, 2004, 10:28 AM

I realize this is a bit off topic, but what kinds of MPGs are you guys getting? I get between 34 and 39 in my Geo Prizm.
I get around 55-60 mpg with my current car (Audi A2 1.4 TDI), and I used to get 85 mpg with the car I had before (Audi A2 1.2 TDI), Ok, it�s only a 3-cylinder-turbodiesel, but It�s enough....

Pics here

Bye, Frido.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 01:00 PM

I like A2s they are expensive though.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

york28
Senior User
Sep 3, 2004, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by frido:mac:
I get around 55-60 mpg with my current car (Audi A2 1.4 TDI), and I used to get 85 mpg with the car I had before (Audi A2 1.2 TDI), Ok, it�s only a 3-cylinder-turbodiesel, but It�s enough....
85! Geez. That's awesome. Nice pics btw.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2004, 03:48 PM

i think u could do better than 3-5mpg no matter how you drive. Any small SUV or station wagon that rates 20-25mpg will probably get at worse 12-15 if you drive like a maniac..

the upcoming hybrids would help your case tremendously because they gain the most during stop and start driving which is exactly what you describe.

i'd wait and get a hybrid suv.

personally, i think suv's/trucks are for suckers.. yeah ti's fine if you got a family of 5 and you're carting them around.. but 90% of the people who own them just drive them solo and it's lame.

/end rant.

fb

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 03:14 AM

you would have to be on the wrong side of the rode.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 03:20 AM

It's not the same ****ing ballpark.

He sucks.

- Rob
Do you drive an electric car? Then you aren't more moral you just feel less guilty, so shut the h*ll up.

george68
Banned
Sep 4, 2004, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
Do you drive an electric car? Then you aren't more moral you just feel less guilty, so shut the h*ll up.
Electric cars pollute also, since you need to generate power for them somewhere. My car get decent mileage (17-27, depending on my foot), handles GREAT, stops great, accelerates great, and has all wheel drive. It is a SAFE vehicle, and is not a complete waste of natural resources like all the people who drive 'pretend' SUVs (2wd suv?!?! wtf?!)

- Rob

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 10:40 PM

uhm yeah they do polute but if they are run by burningcoal they still polute less and like four times as much emissions are controlled because more filters don't alter performance plus the turbine's at the plant can go at the optimal speed instead of changing and electric car's ganerate far less waste heat and if you live in california half of your electricity is made from nuclear which hardly polutes because we just burry it.

george68
Banned
Sep 5, 2004, 05:59 PM

uhm yeah they do polute but if they are run by burningcoal they still polute less and like four times as much emissions are controlled because more filters don't alter performance plus the turbine's at the plant can go at the optimal speed instead of changing and electric car's ganerate far less waste heat and if you live in california half of your electricity is made from nuclear which hardly polutes because we just burry it.
Do you speak English?

- Ca$h

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 02:17 AM

yes but I don't bother with puncuation(or spelling for that matter) for people with low intelect.

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Sep 6, 2004, 02:53 AM

idling for 10 minutes takes 1 ounce of gas, and startup takes 1.5 (something like that) on an "average" car so i've read. So avoid start ups as much as possible. Hope that helps.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 02:57 AM

So 15 minute's is the same as starting up.

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Sep 6, 2004, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by Fyre4ce:

-(Manual transmission) The lower you keep the engine RPM's, the more fuel you will save. Pick the highest gear you can, without the engine running rough. (In my cavalier, I shift into 5th gear at around a 35 mph cruise, which is about 1250 RPM).
Is 1250 RPMs good for the engine though, that seems like engine lugging territory. I was taught that it should be between 2000 and 3000 RPMs

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2004, 07:52 AM

Originally posted by Fyre4ce:
Drive safely, however. Crashing and breaking open your gas tank wastes even more gas.

lol .. hilarious. good tips though

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

george68
Banned
Sep 6, 2004, 10:33 AM

yes but I don't bother with puncuation(or spelling for that matter) for people with low intelect.
The irony here is classic.

I believe you meant 'intellect', dumbass.

- Rob

hayesk
Sep 6, 2004, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by TubaMuffins:
Is 1250 RPMs good for the engine though, that seems like engine lugging territory. I was taught that it should be between 2000 and 3000 RPMs
It depends on the engine. My Accord (V6 w/automatic - didn't come in a standard) will cruise at 100km/h (60mph) at 1900 RPMs.

1250 does seem kinda low though. You won't be saving too much fuel if your engine is struggling to run.

Forum Links
Forum Rules