Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > wireless network with old airport card and new extreme AP card

wireless network with old airport card and new extreme AP card
Phayamac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2003, 09:57 PM

I need some urgent help regarding a airport network setup.

I have a G4 Cube and a 17 inch PowerBook . The Cube has the old airport card installed and the PB the new airport extreme card . My base station is also the old grey one. Right now it is all working , but I want to upgrade my base station to the AP Extreme base station and use my old one if its possible to bridge the signal.

My question is, can I use the old AP base station with the new extreme base station? Does the airport card in the G4 Cube work with the New Extreme base station or do I need to upgrade the card? Is it possible to upgrade the airport card in a G4 Cube at all?

Any help or advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

xanderwilson
Aug 25, 2003, 11:47 PM

They should all work together. I have an Airport Extreme base station, three regular Airport cards in computers and a Linksys USB wireless adaptor hooked into a Windows machine. They all work fine together and the Airport Extreme base station gives me more range and a more powerful signal (running in compatibility mode) than I had with the original base station.

But you can't use the old stuff as a bridge to extend the range of your Airport Network. Believe me, I tried with my old base station. For that you need two Airport Extreme Base Stations.

Alex.
www.telltaleweekly.org - Funding a Free Audiobook Library. Now available in AAC.
www.alexwilson.com - Alex Wilson Studios

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2003, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by xanderwilson:
But you can't use the old stuff as a bridge to extend the range of your Airport Network. Believe me, I tried with my old base station. For that you need two Airport Extreme Base Stations.
Sure you can, but you'll need to run a cable between the two. Wireless bridging requires two AEBSes, but if you can run a cable, you're set.

You can mix old and new cards/base stations. There is no AE card for older Macs, so you're stuck with that one in the Cube.
Why, if everything works, are you switching to an AEBS? It will NOT give you any more speed. Even your current ABS is faster than your internet connection, so the internet will not be effected. And once you have an 802.11b device (the Cube's AP card) on the network, the speed of the entire network slows down to 802.11b to accommodate.

Phayamac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2003, 06:37 PM

I was hoping to increase the speed and range by upgrading to the extreme airport base station. Right now its working , but I cannot really move my PB around. Our house has several levels and as soon as I go 2 floors down I am out of range.

Thanks for your help, at least I know that everything is compatible with each other.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2003, 06:59 PM

Ya, but you won't get any more speed with an AEBS. None at all. If you want to increase your range, and you can run a cable between the two, then that would be great, but you don't need an AEBS to do this. You can bridge ANY wireless router or access point connected by e'net cable.
If it has to be wireless bridging, then you'll need two AEBSes. But again, your setup will NOT get any speed increase with .11g.

Forum Links
Forum Rules