Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Convert 2 avi files into 1 vcd

Convert 2 avi files into 1 vcd
aquaclear
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2004, 12:34 AM

I have 2 avi files that do not open with quicktime. I have to use videolan (vlc) to view. Is there a app that allows me to combine the two avi files and put them onto a dvd disc and allow it to automatically play when inserted into a dvd player that places vcd or at least combine the 2 avi into 1 avi so I can burn onto a dvd disc.

Thanks

xanderwilson
Apr 18, 2004, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by aquaclear:
I have 2 avi files that do not open with quicktime. I have to use videolan (vlc) to view. Is there a app that allows me to combine the two avi files and put them onto a dvd disc and allow it to automatically play when inserted into a dvd player that places vcd or at least combine the 2 avi into 1 avi so I can burn onto a dvd disc.
See if you have the latest version of Quicktime or if there are any codecs that VLC has that Quicktime doesn't, that's the likely culprit. If you CAN eventually get it to open in Quicktime, export it as a DV Stream and work with it in iMovie, or just combine it in Quicktime (Pro might be required for DV Stream export).

If not, then Cleaner might be the only way to go.

Alex.
www.telltaleweekly.org - Funding a Free Audiobook Library. Now available in AAC.
www.alexwilson.com - Alex Wilson Studios

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2004, 12:24 PM

I've found the more likely culprit is that the "avi" is really something else, even something that QT can play like mpg. If you wan't to do this the mac way and get it playing in QT, see here: http://nasorscher.home.comcast.net/movieFAQ. Then just drop it on Toast and wait.

Alternatively, VLC can export the streams directly to mpeg 1, but you'll have to make sure you configure the export to be VCD compliant (File->Open File... instead of Quick Open File...). This is kind of an unsupported feature though, even more so than the fact that the whole mac port of VLC is in questionable status as far as development goes these days.

Forum Links
Forum Rules