Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > eMac brightness/contrast

eMac brightness/contrast
iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2004, 02:13 AM

I'm considering an eMac for my office. I don't really need anything fast but having used LCDs at home for some time I'm concerned I'll think the eMac display is washed out, comparatively and will wish I spent the extra several hundred for an iMac. Can anyone who has used both, Apple LCDs and a recent eMac give an opinion on this? Thanks.

xanderwilson
Nov 12, 2004, 11:10 AM

Do you have access to an Apple store or some other place that has eMacs on display? I thought the eMac was better than most CRTs that I've used (granted, the ones I'm used to are at least four years old), but clearly not as sweet as an LCD. YMMV, which is why I think it's a good idea to check one out.

Alex.
www.telltaleweekly.org - Funding a Free Audiobook Library. Now available in AAC.
www.alexwilson.com - Alex Wilson Studios

iDaver  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2004, 12:27 PM

The closest Apple Store is 100 miles away. I have thought about ordering one of the refurbished ones from the Apple Store. $649 for 125 Ghz and a combo drive seems like a pretty good deal.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by iDaver:
The closest Apple Store is 100 miles away. I have thought about ordering one of the refurbished ones from the Apple Store. $649 for 125 Ghz and a combo drive seems like a pretty good deal.
Do you have a local CompUSA? They should have a store inside a store with eMac's setup. Despite what many people will say about the display, I find it to be excellent in contrast and brightness and in many ways prefer over an LCD.

xanderwilson
Nov 12, 2004, 06:01 PM

Hmm. Yeah, I'd call around local shops just to see if they carry eMacs. CompUSA and other electronics/computer retailers might have some.

If it helps your decision at all, you can expect to save about $30/year in electricity consumption by going LCD vs CRT (I've heard a range between $20-$40, maybe depending on size of monitor?). So if you expect to own it for 5 years, add $150 to the cost of the CRT to get an idea of TOC. If the difference then is negligible--like if you can get a refurbished iMac for not much more than the refurb eMac--go with the LCD; if not, then you've no worse a conundrum than you had before you did the math.

Alex.
www.telltaleweekly.org - Funding a Free Audiobook Library. Now available in AAC.
www.alexwilson.com - Alex Wilson Studios

iDaver  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2004, 10:57 PM

Thanks for all the input. I live in a rural area so it's 100 miles to any computer store.

Forum Links
Forum Rules