Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best Mini Mouse?

Best Mini Mouse?
vmpaul
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2003, 02:51 PM

Just wondering if there were any consensus on the best mini mice out there for the iBook.

Optical is definitely the way to go because of the different surfaces you'll be on.

I'm just wondering if anybody has tried any of the cordless mini mice? Does having the receiver sticking out of the USB port pose a problem? Is it worth it?

Has anybody tried the mice with the rechargable bases?

babynino
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2003, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
Just wondering if there were any consensus on the best mini mice out there for the iBook.

Optical is definitely the way to go because of the different surfaces you'll be on.

I'm just wondering if anybody has tried any of the cordless mini mice? Does having the receiver sticking out of the USB port pose a problem? Is it worth it?

Has anybody tried the mice with the rechargable bases?
Im using Macally's IcemouseJR to complement with my iBook and it works like a charm. This is the best mini mouse for me and i do recommend checking it out ( http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/inpu...cemousejr.html ), and yes it is optical but its not cordless though.

Havent used a cordless mouse yet so i cant give you feedback on that
12" 1GHz AL PowerBook G4 768MB RAM 40GB/APX

-Q-
Feb 9, 2003, 11:18 PM

Haven't used a cordless mouse either, but I'm a big fan of the Kensington Minimouse Pro with it's retractable mouse cord. But there's a cordless version of it that mouse and the USB receiver is stored inside the mouse itself.

I've been very happy with the Kensignton and highly recommend the minimousel Although IMO, avoid the studio mouse...it didn't work very well for me but YMMV.

vmpaul  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2003, 01:21 AM

How is the software for either of these?

I've used a Macally mouse before but i don't remember it having programmable buttons.

Are the Kensington drivers programmable?

babynino
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2003, 03:45 AM

I've used a Macally mouse before but i don't remember it having programmable buttons.

Actually mouse devices are really plug&play on the OSX, the need for such drivers are for the programmable buttons that you are asking about. By default most mouse either have 1 or 2 buttons, and most of the new mouse now have scroll buttons and extra buttons as well. Specific model software drivers are needed to program these buttons depending on what the user wants. So i can lets say program the scroll button for example for one click or double click or even open a specific progam. Without these drivers, i can only basically use the left, right and scroll buttons as they where without those extra options.

Hope this helps
12" 1GHz AL PowerBook G4 768MB RAM 40GB/APX

-Q-
Feb 10, 2003, 10:09 AM

I like Kensington's mouseworks software over the stuff from MS and Logitech. It seems more flexible and customizable to how you work. That being said, there's only so much you can do with the mini mouse as it has three buttons and a scroll wheel. But you can program things to how you like it...

xtal
Senior User
Feb 10, 2003, 12:12 PM

Logitech's newest version of its 'control center' software is really quite good. I picked up the MX-300, after considering a wide variety of mini- options. I like the feel of a fuller sized mouse, and the Logitech MX series all have excellent optical sensors. I find it small enough to tuck in an accesory pouch with my power brick for travel.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

vmpaul  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2003, 12:16 PM

Actually, now that I think about it the software doesn't mean that much anyway.

I've been using USB Overdrive to program the other buttons on my Logitech Cordless Optical on the desltop. It's much more versatile.

ybalx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2003, 05:42 PM

I vote for the icemouse jr. too! It works like a charm without any need to update drivers in OS 10.2.3. The optic red LEDs glow rather bright... The iBook does have some trouble sleeping when the mouse is plugged in.

alx
fat guy in a little coat

pbook 1.5 ghz, 1.5 ram

cube g4 dp 1.3 7457 geforce 3 120g Seagate 1.5g ram uj825b superdrive

classic 4 ram

Sosa
Senior User
Feb 10, 2003, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
Haven't used a cordless mouse either, but I'm a big fan of the Kensington Minimouse Pro with it's retractable mouse cord.
I have this same mouse and it works great. The software Mouseworks is customizable to your needs. However the retractable cord stopped working after 4 months of daily use. And more importantly, this mouse color does not match our iBooks.

I'm planning on purchasing the Icemouse Jr and trying it out. It seems to have the same features as the Kensington, sans questionable retractable cord, but with matching iBook color.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

-Q-
Feb 10, 2003, 11:50 PM

To me, the retractable cord was far more important than the color. I like the idea of reducing the clutter in my bag.

I don't use my mouse on a daily basis, so that may be why my retractable cord is going strong. But I do use it a number of times a month and haven't had a problem with it yet....

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2003, 02:54 AM

I still think this one is the best:

...duh, I'm so corny
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2003, 04:00 PM

The Logitech MouseMan Traveler, great if your on the go and comes with a USB extender cable if you need a longer mouse cable, as well as a case for the mouse. Very well thought out

techtrucker
Senior User
Feb 27, 2003, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by ybalx:
I vote for the icemouse jr. too! It works like a charm without any need to update drivers in OS 10.2.3. The optic red LEDs glow rather bright... The iBook does have some trouble sleeping when the mouse is plugged in.

alx
I too have an icemouse jr. that I just got...have you had any problems with the ibook awaking from sleep?

Steve W

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2003, 03:13 PM

I really like the Macally Optijr. I wonder how inconvienent a cordless mouse would be on the road

ybalx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2003, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by techtrucker:
I too have an icemouse jr. that I just got...have you had any problems with the ibook awaking from sleep?

Steve W
None yet -- the book seems to wake up without much trouble even if the icemouse jr. is still plugged in.
fat guy in a little coat

pbook 1.5 ghz, 1.5 ram

cube g4 dp 1.3 7457 geforce 3 120g Seagate 1.5g ram uj825b superdrive

classic 4 ram

GRAHAMUK
Mar 3, 2003, 09:01 AM

I got a Swann mouse, not sure what model though, but it's quite small and has a fairly cool blue glow up through the scrollwheel. Three buttons plus scroller (the scroller is the middle button too), just plugged and played with OS X no problem. Now I have got used to the right-clicking and scrollwheel it's very hard to go back - Apple should be releasing a two button + scroller pro mouse, that one button argument doesn't cut it anymore.

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2003, 11:32 AM

Kensington Pocketmouse pro.
I too liked the retractable cord and have had no problems using it every day for about a year.It really makes a difference when traveling not to have the cord tangled in a pocket. The scroll wheel works well too.

I had a Targus optical mini mouse and it worked well but the cable thing was annoying.

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2003, 05:38 PM

Macally miscro mouse. Love it. Great, fun mouse.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

Forum Links
Forum Rules