Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Santa Rosa? 2G? 4G?

Santa Rosa? 2G? 4G?
MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2006, 12:58 PM

ok Merom is 64 bit, 20% boost, sounds like memrom to some people, yadda yadda yadda.

but what really excites me is I keep reading that 4 gigs of ram is possible right now,

((("The current MacBook Pro supports 4GB RAM. Merom will be using the same chipset at launch (Santa Rosa won't be out until next year), so the memory limit will stay at 4GB until at least the first refresh in 2007.")))

but the apple store will only give me up to 2G, help me with this please. i would love 4GB.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 01:08 PM

You can get 4GB, but it'll cost you... AFAIK, 2 GB sticks range from &700 to $900 per stick
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 01:09 PM

There are only two ram slots in the MacBooks. You can have 4 gigs of ram, but you'll have to shell out $1400 for each 2gb dimm. 2GB DDR2 PC2-4200 upgrades from Crucial.com

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2006, 01:10 PM

That looks like a quote from me.

4GB is supported by the current chipset (945PM and friends), but only at 533Mhz, and I haven't heard of any reports of people actually installing it (at $1000+ per module) in Mac.

4GB should be officially supported when Apple refreshes next year with Santa Rosa (800Mhz FSB and maybe 800Mhz RAM).

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 01:27 PM

Either way, this topic has been discussed before. Please do a search.

MattJeff  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
That looks like a quote from me.
that would be a quote from ya thanks for the clerification that its just a really expensive stick not extra slots.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 02:20 PM

It is NOT possible in current MBPs.

There was a huuge thread a while back where someone tried, a single 2Gb stick worked, but 2x2GB didnt. I cant remember the exact reason, but the conclusion, after lots of testing and different ideas, was that 4GB (2x2Gb) does not work in the current MBP.

Sorry!
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

shecky
Sep 4, 2006, 02:46 PM

but note that it IS possible in the new C2D windows machines that were announced the other week. which means that i see no reason why apple would not allow 4GB in the next merom MBP that should get announced (hopefully) in the next week or so. yes its still expensive but in a year or two it will not be.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by shecky
but note that it IS possible in the new C2D windows machines that were announced the other week. which means that i see no reason why apple would not allow 4GB in the next merom MBP that should get announced (hopefully) in the next week or so. yes its still expensive but in a year or two it will not be.
Many of the non-Apple laptops are using 533Mhz RAM instead of 667Mhz. 4GB is known to work on non-Apple laptops using the same chipset at 533Mhz.
Some people have reported that smaller 533Mhz modules work in the Intel Macs, so I'd guess Apple has done something to disable 4GB in the firmware.

I do not think they will allow 4GB @ 533Mhz with the C2D refresh. I think 4GB support will come at 667 or 800Mhz next year with the Santa Rosa chipset.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2006, 05:54 PM

spam reported.

-r.

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2006, 06:07 PM

I am sorry, dude, but you are too funny! It seems that 'nikeboa' knows more than the rest of us, since he offers the Nano in white/black/grey/red.

Seriously, get a life.

Edit: This was not about the OP, but about the spam posted by 'nikeboa', which has been deleted
( Last edited by azt33; Sep 5, 2006 at 02:12 AM. )
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by rjenkinson
spam reported.

-r.
Originally Posted by azt33
I am sorry, dude, but you are too funny! It seems that 'nikeboa' knows more than the rest of us, since he offers the Nano in white/black/grey/red.

Seriously, get a life.
WTF?

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2006, 02:12 AM

There were two spam 'replies', trying to sell iPod Nanos or something like that. They are removed now, so I'll edit my post as well.
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

Forum Links
Forum Rules