Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 18)
Rumor
Aug 29, 2011, 01:33 PM

DLC is starting to get a little out of hand. If you buy all the DLC for Dragon Age, you end up spending over $150 (rough estimate and includes original).
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2011, 01:37 PM

Activision should seize the chance and start charging $20 for map packs.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
DLC is starting to get a little out of hand. If you buy all the DLC for Dragon Age, you end up spending over $150 (rough estimate and includes original).
Almost better off waiting for the "Game of the Year" editions.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Almost better off waiting for the "Game of the Year" editions.
Not really viable in the realm of online gaming.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2011, 01:36 PM

It's not often I post cosplay:

Um, wow. On multiple levels.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2011, 02:09 PM

Are you saying one of those is a real woman!?!

Just kidding. Yeah that's quite impressive.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2011, 04:16 PM

Oh riiiiight!

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2011, 04:06 AM

Super Mario Bros. Portal is totally a thing that is happening | Joystiq

Mario Bros + Portal = Mari0 . Its being made as a real game for Windows, Mac and Linux this time, not a just joke video.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Aug 31, 2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
It's not often I post cosplay:

Um, wow. On multiple levels.
Fantastic, Bioshock was always a favorite...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 31, 2011, 09:49 AM

Yeah, that game that wasn't even released yet was always my favorite too.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Aug 31, 2011, 11:51 AM

You know what I ment...
I'm sure that cosplay is trying to convey the great assets that the Columbia will provide to the Bioshock world

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2011, 02:44 PM

Without Price Cut "PS3 Will Outsell Xbox 360" (IGN)

High-profile gaming research analyst for Wedbush Securities, Michael Pachter, has told IndustryGamers that if Microsoft does not respond to recent price cuts "PS3 will outsell Xbox 360" in the US this holiday season.

The 360 has been outselling the PS3 on its US home turf during 2011 but, in a soon to be published "Pachter's Podium" Q&A, the analyst has reportedly called the holiday battle between the two consoles a "close call."

"If Microsoft does nothing, I think PS3 will outsell Xbox 360," Pachter told IndustryGamers. "However, my friends at Microsoft are extremely proud, and they absolutely refuse to tolerate the possibility that the PS3 will outsell the Xbox 360. I think they have the ads printed for the Xbox 360 price cut, and will drop them on us the instant they see PS3 sales greater than 360 sales."

On the back of a series of price cuts PS3 sales have significantly increased around the world, in one case by 400 percent.

Microsoft, to date, has insisted there are no plans to reduce the price of the 360 in the near future.
I'll see you guys on Uncharted 3.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 1, 2011, 03:20 PM

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
I'm sure that cosplay is trying to convey the great assets
Yeah, those are some nice assets.

I see there were even more pics on the site.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Without Price Cut "PS3 Will Outsell Xbox 360" (IGN)

I'll see you guys on Uncharted 3.
What's Uncharted?

As well, this would only pertain to someone who hasn't chosen a platform. Since most of us have, I don't think you'll be seeing us on Uncharted 3. It's more like we'll be seeing you on HALO 4!
MacBook Pro

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2011, 03:28 PM

I've had both systems now for 2-3 years, and I still feel like I haven't picked a platform.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 1, 2011, 03:29 PM

You have picked a platform, the only thing that's stopping you from committing is your XBOX Live friends list.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2011, 03:35 PM

Exactly.

Considering how little time I'll have to play multiplayer this winter, that isn't quite as much of an attention-keeper as it used to be. It's honestly the only reason I picked one up again. My back-and-forth on 360s are legendary, but I've never once considered selling my PS3 (of course, knowing me, I just might not be remembering).

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2011, 03:53 PM

I'd never sell my PS3 either. Better games, hardware, and interface. The only thing Xbox has is Halo and Xbox Live. I've considered moving my launch-day console into the second bedroom and buying a Kinect bundle - how's the new hardware compare to the old stuff? Quieter?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 1, 2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
I'd never sell my PS3 either. Better games, hardware, and interface. The only thing Xbox has is Halo and Xbox Live. I've considered moving my launch-day console into the second bedroom and buying a Kinect bundle - how's the new hardware compare to the old stuff? Quieter?
What about controller preference?

Anyway I feel like saying all the XBOX has in Live is kinda like saying all the Mac has is the experience. That's like the most important part, yo.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 2, 2011, 09:18 AM

New MW3 multiplayer vid for those who don't visit the thread.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Multiplayer World Premiere - YouTube

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 2, 2011, 09:43 AM

Call of Duty action-adventure would have been 'world-class,' died in prototype | Joystiq
"We came on board to make a third person action adventure game, in the Call of Duty franchise," Schofield said in a video feature on Gamespot, "and we were working on it about six months." Condrey was matter of fact about the reasoning behind Sledgehammer's action-adventure title. "There are a lot of fans out there who enjoy games like Uncharted, so you can imagine that genre meeting a world-class franchise."

Condrey decided to rub it in a little more. "We had a prototype together that was pretty compelling, and it looked really good." But the chance to help make Activision's big gun shoot straight has probably killed its would-be offshoot. "The opportunity to work on the biggest thing in the industry with... Infinity Ward, that's demonstrated that they know how to do exceptional software, was just an opportunity we couldn't (pass up)."
So I'm assuming Sledgehammer pitched Call of Duty: Uncharted, Activision replied, "Go help IW, bitch."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2011, 10:56 AM

Anonymous Tumblr account accuses Crytek of employee mistreatment | Joystiq
This week in "It sucks to work in the game industry"

Sony's Rob Dyer criticizes Microsoft's content policies | Joystiq
"Publishers are getting the living crap kicked out of them by Microsoft," Rob Dyer, Sony's SVP of public relations, told Industry Gamers in a recent interview concerning Microsoft's publishing policies. But we're getting ahead of ourselves here -- Dyer was provoked by the following information from Microsoft's Content Submission and Release Policy, which forbids its games from being released first or with exclusive content on other platforms
Sour grapes for being beaten to the punch. I seem to recall a few games couldn't get exclusive DLC on XBOX because Sony had already tied up the rights.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2011, 11:19 AM

Sony's Rob Dyer criticizes Microsoft's content policies | Joystiq

Sour grapes for being beaten to the punch. I seem to recall a few games couldn't get exclusive DLC on XBOX because Sony had already tied up the rights.
That's not the point. The point is that Microsoft is strong-arming devs/pubs into never acquiring timed exclusive deals with Sony.

It actually seems kind of...Apple-ish.

Also, Batman: Arkham Asylum's Joker challenges are the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2011, 11:22 AM

That's not the point. The point is that Microsoft is strong-arming devs/pubs into never acquiring timed exclusive deals with Sony.

It actually seems kind of...Apple-ish.
Yeah? And who's to say Sony wouldn't be using their position to do the same if they had beaten MS to the punch?

Also, Batman: Arkham Asylum's Joker challenges are the only one I can think of off the top of my head.
Mortal Kombat characters for another. My point is, they're locking out MS on this small stuff, why wouldn't they be trying for the bigger stuff if they could?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2011, 11:30 AM

Yeah? And who's to say Sony wouldn't be using their position to do the same if they had beaten MS to the punch?
The absence of that kind of tactic in Sony's department is probably why they're in third place this gen (though that's not as bad as it sounds).

Mortal Kombat characters for another. My point is, they're locking out MS on this small stuff, why wouldn't they be trying for the bigger stuff if they could?
Ah, yes...Kratos.

If Microsoft is threatening to take its ball and go home, publishers would have to face the prospect of losing 60% of their sales. I'm sure that wouldn't be worth whatever morsels Sony could throw their way as incentive for timed exclusives. I feel like Sony could do the same thing, but after knocking Microsoft's policy, there's probably no way it'll happen.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2011, 11:33 AM

The absence of that kind of tactic in Sony's department is probably why they're in third place this gen (though that's not as bad as it sounds).
Not a chance. In the grand scheme this is a drop in the bucket.

If Microsoft is threatening to take its ball and go home, publishers would have to face the prospect of losing 60% of their sales. I'm sure that wouldn't be worth whatever morsels Sony could throw their way as incentive for timed exclusives. I feel like Sony could do the same thing, but after knocking Microsoft's policy, there's probably no way it'll happen.
It's a two-way street. After all, why didn't MS drop MK or Arkham or even Portal 2?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2011, 10:41 AM

I picked up Resistance 3 after spending a good amount of time with the multiplayer beta, and I can see myself spending a lot of time there until UC3 comes out. I've heard a lot of people compare to the multiplayer to a mixture of CoD and Halo, and I'd tend to agree with it. The play styles are relatively similar to CoD, but the weapon/perks/abilities variety is definitely heavy on the sci-fi. The Resistance series has always been known for its crazy weapons, apparently.

Joystiq - Resistance 3 Review
Resistance 3 Review - PlayStation 3 Review at IGN
1UP - Resistance 3 Review

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2011, 11:01 AM

Just curious, but who here besides Jawbone and Stogie has a PS3?

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2011, 11:02 AM

And more importantly, who plays games on their PS3?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2011, 11:36 AM

http://forums.macnn.com/77/gaming/380997/psn-tags/

I see Chongo on all the time. I would add Railroader and Cash to the list of resident players, but since I can't call either of them "resident"...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2011, 11:37 AM

Also, for any trophy/achievement whores, Madden 12 seems to be the easiest sports game to platinum/100% that I've ever seen. Knocked out 88% of the trophies within the first 20 hours.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2011, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Just curious, but who here besides Jawbone and Stogie has a PS3?
That would be me, to your other question as well.

Didn't know Resistance 3 came out. I picked up Dead Island yesterday. Was up till 12:30am on that one.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2011, 11:52 AM

So it's safe to say you're enjoying Dead Island?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2011, 03:43 PM

Yeah, it's a blast. I haven't gotten a chance to try the 4 player co op yet, time got past me, but I hear that's were its REALLY at.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2011, 07:41 PM

What sucks about the PS3 falling short with online, time of release, terrible pricing, and their other problems that have plagued them this generation is that so many people have missed out on some truly great games. All I could think of while I was playing Resistance 3's multiplayer was, "Now, this is what Homefront should have been like." For some reason, R3 reminded me a lot of Homefront's gameplay, except substituting crazy guns for vehicles. I really can't explain why the two feel so similar -- maybe it's the feel of the controls.

I understand everyone being content with their system of choice. I'm finally more at peace with my own. I just hate that Sony screwed the pooch on this gen -- at least enough that some of my favorite games of all-time are now "you had to be there" conversations.

Originally Posted by excal1bur
Yeah, it's a blast. I haven't gotten a chance to try the 4 player co op yet, time got past me, but I hear that's were its REALLY at.
Looks like fun, even if the reviews are mixed. I'd hop on with you if I hadn't already picked up Resistance 3 and Deus Ex. Then Battlefield 3, Uncharted 3, and Arkham City are all going to hit near the same time...

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2011, 02:38 AM

I got a $10 gift card when I bought Deus Ex, so I might use that and pick up Resistance 3. I see the reviews are very good for that and I do enjoy the series a lot. Uncharted 3 is what I'm REALLY waiting for this year, too.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 8, 2011, 01:12 PM

Thursday News: Rain'd Out Edition

Nintendo Officially Confirms, Comments on 3DS Circle Pad Add-on

Man, has Nintendo ever botched the 3DS. It's been six months (?) and they're adding a second stick (which should have been there in the first place?). Wonder how long til the hardware rev that makes this standard.

Driver: San Francisco for Xbox 360 missing Uplay Passport [update] | Joystiq
Copies of Driver: San Francisco for Xbox 360 being sold by retailers do not include the Uplay Passport, a code required to access multiplayer beyond the 48-hour trial period. Driver is the first title by Ubisoft to require a Uplay Passport.
A change of heart? Did Ubisoft see the error of its ways?

Due to a printing error on the insert of some copies of Driver: San Francisco in North America, Ubisoft has elected to provide the Driver Uplay Passport content for free.
Nope, just legendary incompetence at work.

Gamasutra - News - EA Details Strong Digital Growth, Sims Social Numbers
his year, EA introduced its Online Pass, which directly combats the used games market by offering one-time use codes to play its EA Sports games online. Those obtaining used copies of the game must purchase an additional $10 pass from EA to play online.

According to Brown, the revenues from the program have not been terribly substantial for the company, though the profit margins are of course significant.

"The revenues we derive from that haven't been dramatic. I'd say they're in the $10-$15 million range since we initiated the program," he said. While the sales are not "dramatic" in volume, he pointed out that it is all "found revenue" that comes from users who previously "consumed bandwidth for free."
If my math is right that's 1 to 1.5 million passes, right? Sounds like a pathetic fraction of used game sales. What a surprise, most people who buy used don't want to spring for a $10 rip-off. All to reclaim that "consumed bandwidth" that was already slotted for the original game purchase.

Sony Admits 'Massive Lead' for Xbox 360, But Insists Software Performs Better on PS3 - IndustryGamers
Dyer cited several examples where on multiplatform releases, the PS3 SKU performed better than the Xbox 360 SKU when comparing the numbers to the respective installed bases for the two high-definition platforms. Sony considers anything below a 1.6 index ratio on software to be favorable. Perhaps the chief example of this was Warner Bros' Mortal Kombat which way over-indexed for Sony.

"If you have a choice between buying a PS3 version and an Xbox version of Mortal Kombat, which one are you buying? You’re buying the PS3 version because you can play as Kratos. Although Microsoft has a 1.6 to 1 index ratio against us [on hardware], we outsold them on Mortal Kombat nearly at a 1 to 1. So that is due in large part to the exclusive content that you’re getting on disc. You’ll see that happening on almost every case where we’ve had a game that they’ve supported with on disc content or with exclusive DLC."
I don't think there's a direct correlation on exclusive content to index ratio (Kratos is particularly niche anyway). I think it's more likely you can chalk this up to it being in the PS3 demo.

Portal 2: Index ratio of 1.6
Sony's comment: "While the 1.6 index ratio is on par with the hardware index ratio, it is below the total index for shooting genre title on both platforms of 1.9. The PS3 version exclusively included a PC version of the game and Steam integration. Also, important to note, that Valve had a heritage on Xbox and this was the first title in this generation that shipped day and date on both platforms."
Considering this had the Steam "exclusive content" and this isn't a traditional shooter, this guy is really talking out his ass.

Fun times with different numbers though. (The more cynical on GAF are concluding this is pre-damage control for another disastrous NPD. We'll see)

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2011, 01:33 PM

Driver: San Francisco for Xbox 360 missing Uplay Passport [update] | Joystiq

A change of heart? Did Ubisoft see the error of its ways?
Nah, I bet GameStop confused Uplay Passport as digital download codes and removed them from the boxes.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2011, 01:45 PM

Nintendo Officially Confirms, Comments on 3DS Circle Pad Add-on

Man, has Nintendo ever botched the 3DS. It's been six months (?) and they're adding a second stick (which should have been there in the first place?). Wonder how long til the hardware rev that makes this standard.
I don't know. They make a killing with add-on purchases. I mean just look at the Wii Motion Plus. Did that ever get built into the standard Wiimote? (I honestly don't know, I haven't follow Nintendo hardware at all this generation.)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 8, 2011, 06:23 PM

It's a little early for that though.

P
Sep 9, 2011, 06:50 AM

I agree that Nintendo flubbed the launch, and that is uncharacteristic of them. Adding a second stick now fragments the market further of a device that is barely selling anyway. I suspect that this will further hurt the 3DS as more developers focus on the old DS.

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I don't know. They make a killing with add-on purchases. I mean just look at the Wii Motion Plus. Did that ever get built into the standard Wiimote? (I honestly don't know, I haven't follow Nintendo hardware at all this generation.)
Yes, it's included in the latest Wiimote, but you can't really compare - that was years after launch.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

P
Sep 12, 2011, 11:11 AM

New Syndicate confirmed for 2012.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 12, 2011, 11:38 AM

Monday News

Speaking of the 3DS...
Gamasutra - News - NPD: Nintendo 3DS Hardware Sales Jump 260 Percent After Price Cut
According to a statement from Nintendo received by Gamasutra following the NPD Group's August retail sales report, more than 235,000 3DS systems were sold during the month of August. Of those, about 185,000 units were sold during the 19 days following the price cut, representing a 260 percent increase from the same 19-day period in July.

NPD: Deus Ex Tops Charts But August Sees Game Industry Down 23% - IndustryGamers
Software (New physical retail only, across all platforms including PC)
01. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360, PS3, PC)** Square Enix Inc - 244K
02. NCAA Football 12 (360, PS3) Electronic Arts - 240.4K (Up from sub-110K last year.)
03. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC)** Activision Blizzard
04. Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd (NDS, Wii, PS3) Disney Interactive Studios
05. Cars 2 (NDS, Wii, 360, PS3, PC) Disney Interactive Studios
06. Just Dance Summer Party (Wii) Ubisoft
07. Just Dance 2 (Wii) Ubisoft
08. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) Disney Interactive Studios
09. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS) Nintendo - 84K
10. Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (Wii, 360, PS3) Majesco

**(includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

Hardware
Xbox 360: 308K (-13.7%)
Nintendo 3DS: 235K
PlayStation 3: 218K (-3.5%) [Comes from press release statement math and known numbers.]
Wii: 190K (-22.2%)
Nintendo DS: 165K (-51.9%)
Price cut for the PS3 looks to have had some effect, judging from the % change compared to the 360.

Heavy Rain developer estimates $13M loss on second-hand sales | Joystiq
"We basically sold to date approximately two million units, we know from the trophy system that probably more than three million people bought this game and played it," de Fondaumiere told GI.biz. "On my small level it's a million people playing my game without giving me one cent."
While dwelling on the continued ignorance to the concept of a second-hand market, it struck me today why the used market is so big. At the risk of being obvious it's because no good rental system exists (Gamefly's model is actually perfect – except that they tend to suffer from undersupply).

Unlike renting movies, the experience is entirely flawed when it comes to games. Ever rent games from a Blockbuster? It's barely worth the effort. You have a very limited amount of time to complete a game of unknown length or scale. Plus you're basically forced to focus on the game non-stop. I suppose you could rerent, but then the cost starts to approach levels that make a purchase more worthwhile. And if you can get that purchase cheaper used...

I can't wait for the day next gen when developers start complaining that people who wait for price-drops months after release are basically stealing from them.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2011, 06:28 AM

DX:HR is being ported by Feral Interactive, coming this winter. Thank god it's Feral and not Aspyr. Feral also did excellent ports for Bioshock and Borderlands.

P
Sep 13, 2011, 10:26 AM

Only problem with that is that it won't show up on Steam if it's Feral.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2011, 10:52 AM

Skyrim. Skyrim. Skyrim. Skyrim. Skyrim. Skyrim.

20 minutes of Skyrim gameplay (Kotaku)

I've got loads of games to play, but this video guaranteed that I pick Skyrim up as soon as the first price drop hits. Amazing.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 13, 2011, 11:56 AM

Don't you mean Elder Scrolls V?
Sorry, being a jerk face.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2011, 02:51 PM

A nice reminder of idiocy in the gaming industry.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Only problem with that is that it won't show up on Steam if it's Feral.
I'm ok with that. I prefer to buy from the Mac App Store. Steam is a resource hog, tolerable only because of their excellent sales.

Forum Links
Forum Rules