Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Lotus Notes on Mac OS X

Lotus Notes on Mac OS X
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 16, 2004, 02:08 PM

Anyone using Lotus Notes 6 on Mac OS X? Just wondering. Pix here.

pgolf
Jan 16, 2004, 02:51 PM

Yup, using 6.5.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 16, 2004, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by pgolf:
Yup, using 6.5.
Comments, vs Entourage/Mail/iCal, etc?

pgolf
Jan 16, 2004, 04:47 PM

I use it to read work email. In terms of mail and calendaring functionalities Lotus Notes 6 is way ahead of Microsoft and Apple. Threaded email and calendar sharing has been supported since the mid 90's.

They've been doing enterprise email way before MS - started out as CC:MAIL. And NO ONE does collaboration like Lotus (IBM Owned)

But I have to admit the Apples Mail is easier to use and more user friendly.

marusin
Senior User
Jan 16, 2004, 05:25 PM

I personally do not use Lotus Notes on the Mac (I do Domino development from time to time though on a Windows machine), but I have heard good things on R6+ on the Mac.

One question I have for you is are you in a Lotus Notes environment? If so, are you using the Notes client for anything other than Mail? Where I'm going with this is that you can just add your mail file to any email client (using pop or imap) and not have to have another application running.

Unfortunately, Lotus/IBM did not think that anyone in the world would want to use a browser other than IE 5+ for Windows so using webmail is pretty bad (it will only work in IE 5 for the Mac and is extremely limited to it's functionality). I don't know if Domino R6 has improved this, but I know that I cannot get into Domino Webmail with anything other than IE 5+ for Windows (and still be able to use it).

I'm realizing that this info may or may not have helped you. If there's anything I can clarify on, let me know.

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2004, 10:22 PM

How well does it work with Domino.doc? I will be getting our IT to install it on my new Mac at home(once I buy it) but they said while it works fine for email it doesn't do well with domino. Is that so in your experience? If so, bummer (IMHO it's a very irritating piece of software on the PC as well, btw)

Macanoid
Senior User
Jan 17, 2004, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by marusin:
One question I have for you is are you in a Lotus Notes environment? If so, are you using the Notes client for anything other than Mail? Where I'm going with this is that you can just add your mail file to any email client (using pop or imap) and not have to have another application running.
could you tell me more about this please. I'd love to use Apple's Mail on my work network!

pgolf
Jan 17, 2004, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by marusin:
At work we use Notes quite extensively. Tons of inhouse and a couple of 3rd party database applications. And were not running pop or imap on the servers.

As for domino.doc, I don't have any experience using it on a mac. I used it back in version 1.0 on a winblows machine. Domino.doc was (probably still is) a big Lotus Notes application written using LotusScript and APIs.

pjmurphy
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2004, 03:03 PM

question..

how do you do a replica of my MAIL from my corp server to my local machine

I can do this with my windows version of NOTES but how with the mac version?

I am on 6.5 BTW

Also, I downloaded this "trial" from Lotus - how long before it expires??

thanks!!!

Originally posted by pgolf:
Yup, using 6.5.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
www.brandthunder.com
15" MBP
2 nanos (blk, red)
8GB iPhone
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Forum Links
Forum Rules