Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > g-raid

g-raid
prolix
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2004, 05:14 PM

I'm currently looking for a decent secondary storage system, preferably something that its fault tolerant. I have a dual g5 with a 160gb drive. I planed on using that as teh boot/system drive, then maybe an external raid solution for storage.

Has anyone used one of these? http://www.g-raid.com/

299$ for the external 160gb solution. thats a raid 1 setup in one nice looking chassis

I was also thinking of just doing a raid 1 on two internal drives but I'm trying to plan ahead and account for future space requirements.

hmurchison2001
Senior User
Jul 6, 2004, 06:20 PM

I'm suprised they are calling this G-RAID because I was under the impression that the drives are actually sequential. Meaning fill up one 80GB HD and then recording starts on the other.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by prolix:
I'm currently looking for a decent secondary storage system, preferably something that its fault tolerant. I have a dual g5 with a 160gb drive. I planed on using that as teh boot/system drive, then maybe an external raid solution for storage.

Has anyone used one of these? http://www.g-raid.com/

299$ for the external 160gb solution. thats a raid 1 setup in one nice looking chassis

I was also thinking of just doing a raid 1 on two internal drives but I'm trying to plan ahead and account for future space requirements.
I would bet it's 160 gb as RAID 0. If you wanted RAID 1 you'd only get 80 GB of capacity. I also don't know about the controller -- whether you could actually see the drives individually or whether they have a controller in the unit which does the RAID for you (in which case you couldn't do the RAID 1 at all). I'd recommend you read it more carefully than I just did -- but my gut would say when they talk about speed and list 75 MB/sec with 2 drives that they're talking RAID 0.

prolix  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2004, 08:14 PM

you guys are right, i read the site wrong (or not closely enough). i think it is raid 0, oops. i assumed it was dual 160's b/c of how they indicated 2/160, i took that as two 160's, whereas its more likely to be 2 drives with a total of 160.

back to the research, might be better to just raid 1 two internal drives

Forum Links
Forum Rules