Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Regret sets in

Regret sets in
Danoir
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2004, 12:48 AM

I just picked up a new iBook over Thanksgiving. Now I wish I got the BTO 80GB installed. Is there anything I can do? I know I could buy an external HD but that would defeat the point of going portable. I know I could buy an internal 80GB for a lot of money, install it myself and then have the warrenty not cover it. Is there another option? Could the dudes at a Genius bar install one for me? Could I return the iBook to Apple and get another one?

Frustrated,
Danoir

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2004, 01:14 PM

There is a set amount of time where you can return your iBook to the Apple Store and pay only a restocking fee. Then you could buy your BTO with the 80gb hdd. I'm not sure how long the return area is, though. I'm sure someone else can shed some light on this.
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2004, 02:02 PM

Just get a faster 5400 or 7200 HD for a reasonable price ($190) and get an Apple Authorized Tech to do the job for about $75-$100 if you wanna keep your warranty. You could also, ebay that sucker off and get another iBook (be warned that you'd probably lose $50-$75 bucks this way). I would do the upgrade to a faster HD, it's a better deal in my opinion.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Danoir  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2004, 05:32 PM

Yeah, I think I'll pick up a new 80GB 5400rpm drive for the iBook, and an enclosure for the old one. With installation it will be roughly 300 bucks, but for the drive and now external drive for backup, it's probably worth it.

Can anyone recommend HDs for me? Fujitsu, Hitachi, Toshiba? It would be nice if even at the slightly higher speed, it would be quieter and more power efficient. Maybe I'm just dreaming.

-D

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 06:11 PM

Umm... even less audible than the 30GB Toshiba drive? Mine's completely inaudible, which one do you have?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Danoir  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2004, 06:12 PM

I believe my iBook came with a 60GB Fujitsu 4200rpm drive. It's virtually silent. I'm just hoping to avoid something louder.

D

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2004, 06:24 PM

Toshiba has some quiet 80gig 5400 drives, I've heard mixed stories on the Travelstar Hitachi though.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2004, 11:42 PM

I have that same toshiba that iREZ is talking about and installed it myself works great and I never hear it. it was only $200.00.

Here is a link to some different drive options and prices the toshiba is only 178.00 now.
http://www.drivesolutions.com/cgi-bi...=0&type=Laptop
( Last edited by MARINEOSX; Dec 8, 2004 at 11:47 PM. )
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

Danoir  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2004, 01:53 PM

Ok, I bit the bullet and went with the Toshiba 80GB 5400rpm drive. It's only $159 on www.zipzoomfly.com

Couple of questions. Now I'll have a 60GB internal that I would like to put in an external drive enclosure and use for backup. Does anyone have any recommendations on those? They seem to range in price from $35 to way more. What's the difference? Most seems to come with both USB 2.0 and FireWire. I have no idea what to look for in features.

Secondly, could I stick the stock 60GB in the enclosure as is (i.e. directly out of the iBook) and just plug it into the iBook with the 80GB once I have OS X installed and start dragging things from former disc to new one? Or, should I get Panther all set up nicely on my old iMac, transfer everything from the iBook there first, then replace the drive, then bring it all back from the iMac. Then I could reformat the 60GB in the enclosure and start being 'that guy' who backs up all his stuff (I've never been that guy).

Many thanks,
D

pgolf
Dec 9, 2004, 07:57 PM

There's a 100GB Seagate which retails for $199. A 5400 or 7200 RPMs I think.

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2004, 08:13 PM

If you are going to transfer files then the best bet would be to send it to another Apple that you are a registered user on. The reason for this is that some files will not let you copy everything to the external drive, I tried this and ended up sending them to my imac instead of the external because the external won't support certain things. I however do not know if this is the same thing for the drive that was previously in there. If it has osx loaded onto it then it might work. If you do this and it does let me know. As far as setting up the old one for external I have no idea never tried it.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2004, 08:36 PM

if you are root on your computer, you should be able to tranfer everything. i've never had an issue.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

sworthy
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 01:53 AM

actually, I once had the problem of not being able to transfer everything. Occasionally when attempting to backup my itunes library I would get a message saying it couldn't copy files with certain names.

Anyway, I used Lacie's 'Silverkeeper', and I don't have problems anymore.

Forum Links
Forum Rules