Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 1GHz vs. 1.2GHz

1GHz vs. 1.2GHz
zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2004, 09:50 PM

I am looking at getting an iBook from MacMall, and they have the 1GHz for 899 and the 1.2GHz for 994. Other then the processor, what is the big difference between these two models?
You can get a look at the specs here:
http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/ibook/

Any info is appreciated!
Thanks!

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

KianD
Dec 23, 2004, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by zeebe:
I am looking at getting an iBook from MacMall, and they have the 1GHz for 899 and the 1.2GHz for 994. Other then the processor, what is the big difference between these two models?
You can get a look at the specs here:
http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/ibook/

Any info is appreciated!
Thanks!
first major difference is that the 1.0 isn't new - its either old stock or second hand. that could affect your warranty rights, maybe

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2004, 11:12 PM

If you go to macintouch.com you'll find links to the rebates on iBooks at amazon.com. For example, the 1.2 Ghz 12" is $900. I'm looking at the same models, and I'm definitely waiting until after the San Fran MacWorld on January 10. I really don't expect any new models, but it's never wise to buy so close MacWorld...

Xtraz
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2004, 06:59 AM

If you're in academia, go check out your local computer store. At UCLA (and they have some sort of deal with Apple), the 1Ghz 12" iBook (early 2004 edition) is selling for $600.

!

No joke. Its ridiculously good value. I'm now typing on it. (I was going to get the 15" Pbook but couldn't pass over this deal)

pgolf
Dec 24, 2004, 01:03 PM

The 1.25Ghz iBook has the Airport Extreme card budled in. The 1Ghz model does not. That's a $90 difference. Dude, go with the 1.25Ghz.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2004, 03:07 PM

I just purchased an iBook 1GHZ for $650 at the University of Oregon bookstore. It is a brand new Mac, not a refurb. The only difference between it and the 1.2 is the processor speed and the lack of built-in Airport Extreme in the 1GHZ. An Airport card cost $69 from the university bookstore.

I agree with Xtraz: the 1GHZ iBook is a terrific deal if you qualify for the educational discount/sale price. If I thought that G5 iBooks would make an appearance at Macworld San Francisco I might not go for the iBook deal, but we all know a G5 iBook isn't going to happen anytime soon...

BTW, the Apple installer now has a provision for transferring most of the data from an old Mac to a new Mac, and it worked very well. Only a few applications/preferences did not make the transfer. I originally tried using CarbonCopyCloner but the cloned iBook developed serious problems: it locked up so tight that I had to remove the battery in order to turn it off and I had to use my old iBook in Firewire disk mode to zero-out the new iBook drive and reinstall everything.

I'm happy to report that it works fine now...Lesson Learned!

Forum Links
Forum Rules