Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook HD Finally coming!

Powerbook HD Finally coming!
Link
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 03:48 AM

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...hreadid=117763

I suppose it's still a rumor, but not much longer to wait If this goes through, it'll be the PB I've been waiting for.. woohooo!
Aloha

U n i o n 0015
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2005, 02:13 PM

Meh...which would you rather see: new processor design or same 'ole G4 with an HD screen?

New processors all the way. It's high time that the power is put back into PowerBook.
12" 1.5GHz Aluminum PowerBook G4
15" 1GHz Titanium PowerBook G4

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 02:13 PM

Actually, I'd prefer an HD screen. My PB is fast enough, currently, as is.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

ibook_steve
Apr 1, 2005, 02:37 PM

Don't hold your breath.

Steve

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by ibook_steve:
Don't hold your breath.

Steve
The newest PowerBook manuals said something about a 1920x resolution, as well. It was mentioned on the forums. I don't think the possibility of an HDPB is out of the question.

Link  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by U n i o n 0015:
Meh...which would you rather see: new processor design or same 'ole G4 with an HD screen?

New processors all the way. It's high time that the power is put back into PowerBook.
Ever notice since the g4 imac they don't let the powerbook compete with the imac?
Aloha

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2005, 08:08 PM

No PB HD for a while... Apple can't even keep up with demand now.... I doubt that we would see a new PowerBook for a number of months.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 2, 2005, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
The newest PowerBook manuals said something about a 1920x resolution, as well.
That bit in the manual is about connecting a regular PowerBook with 64MB VRAM to a 23" Cinema Display. Please kill this speculation now. It has nothing to do with future PowerBooks.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 2, 2005, 08:50 PM

Apple doesn't want to give you an LCD screen with the same res as the 23" Cinema Display. It cuts into sales of their monitors.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2005, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
Apple doesn't want to give you an LCD screen with the same res as the 23" Cinema Display. It cuts into sales of their monitors.
With the markup price of the PowerBook and the tremendous demand of the PowerBook line Apple has nothing to worry about. Apple would rather sell you a PowerBook than a monitor. I think they would enjoy it if it cut into the sale of their monitors. They also can use an HD PowerBook as a great selling point for users or iMovie HD, FCE HD, and FCP HD.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Cheetah223
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2005, 10:36 PM

That bit in the manual is about connecting a regular PowerBook with 64MB VRAM to a 23" Cinema Display. Please kill this speculation now. It has nothing to do with future PowerBooks.
That bit in the manual never mentioned anything about an external monitor of any kind. There wasn't anything at all even hinting at an external display in that secion of the manual if I recall.
Have:
30GB 5G iPod
Want:
15" 2.16GHz MBP - 20" Cinema Display

osxisfun
Apr 2, 2005, 10:38 PM

>Apple doesn't want to give you an LCD screen with the same res as the 23" Cinema Display. It cuts into sales of their monitors.

I don't agree with this at all. it will happen someday... PC laptops do this so its not the tech holding things back.

maybe they are saving for the g5

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 2, 2005, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
>Apple doesn't want to give you an LCD screen with the same res as the 23" Cinema Display. It cuts into sales of their monitors.

I don't agree with this at all. it will happen someday... PC laptops do this so its not the tech holding things back.

maybe they are saving for the g5
It will happen but right now things are tight. Sales of their desktop models aren't as high as other companies so selling you an LCD monitor is one way of getting you to purchase a desktop at some point. From a business point of view I don't disagree with that at all because they need revenue to fund innovation.

osxisfun
Apr 2, 2005, 11:11 PM

oh i think we are in agreement about the rumor. i don't buy it either...

here's to higher rez lcds some day!

Link  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2005, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by Cheetah223:
That bit in the manual never mentioned anything about an external monitor of any kind. There wasn't anything at all even hinting at an external display in that secion of the manual if I recall.
In fact, the picture specifically states this:

"Depending on how your PowerBook was configured, it may have a wide-screen display that has a 'native' resolution of 1920 x 1200 or 1440 x 900. For either of these native resolutions, other standard resolutions, such as 1024 x 768, are supported."

Other notebooks with 17" "HD" screens do exist, I know sony sells a few, beyond that I really can't remember.

Furthermore, this manual 'fluke' ONLY exists with the current Rev Ds, the Rev Cs came with a different manual where said statement is on a different page and only mentions 1440x900.
Aloha

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 2, 2005, 11:24 PM

A PowerBook can be 'configured' in closed lid operation with a 23" Cinema Display. The 'native' resolution will thus be 1920x1200. If they weren't talking about that they would have been more specific. It's a configuration based on all models from the 12" to 17" that have 64MB VRAM.

Apple would not have let a mistake like that slip or carried on printing it (the same text still appears) as it would cut into the current generation's sales.

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2005, 11:47 PM

I am still waiting to buy my Powerbook (probably the 17"), and I downloaded the manual from apples support site on Friday (04/01). They must have revised it, since it no longer lists the 1920 x xxxx resolution.

The PDF file was titled: 0221619PB_G417inchUG.pdf

h00ligan
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2005, 07:15 AM

guys the rumor is for a tower, not a pb.
-= H00ligan =-

1.33 GHz 12" | 60 gig 7200 rpm drive | 1.25 Gigs of ram
amd 64 3000+ eMachines m6805 (arima lappy) | 60 gig | 512 megs | almost 3400 3dMark03 and it was only $1250 :)

Link  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2005, 07:36 AM

Actually:

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/...30102917.shtml

"New PowerMac G5s and PowerBook HD at NAB?"

Credibility:

*The manual fluke (even if currently not being printed)
*Year of HD
*NAB being video oriented
*such screens do exist..
Aloha

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 4, 2005, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by Link:
Actually:

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/...30102917.shtml

"New PowerMac G5s and PowerBook HD at NAB?"

Credibility:

*The manual fluke (even if currently not being printed)
*Year of HD
*NAB being video oriented
*such screens do exist..
Higher resolutions will come to the PowerBook. Regarding those specs, without Blu-Ray slot drives it will hardly be a PowerBook HD. Is anyone making them yet? Nice to see the ATI 9800 mentioned but the new slim Dell XPS designs have the 6800 Ultra Go which is twice as fast.

Scooterboy
Senior User
Apr 4, 2005, 12:08 PM

Isn't the 6800 UltraGo PCI Express 16x?

PowerBook G5 HD screen, PCI Express 16x graphics w/ 6800 Ultra Go or ATi x800 either card with 256 MB DDR RAM...

That would make me upgrade!

There are PC laptops that have all these features already. The G5 would make the PowerBook competitive against the high end P4 and PM laptops.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

Filburt
Apr 4, 2005, 01:18 PM

A PowerBook can be 'configured' in closed lid operation with a 23" Cinema Display. The 'native' resolution will thus be 1920x1200. If they weren't talking about that they would have been more specific. It's a configuration based on all models from the 12" to 17" that have 64MB VRAM.
Huh? How do you get that from this?
"Depending on how your PowerBook was configured, it may have a wide-screen display that has a 'native' resolution of 1920 x 1200 or 1440 x 900.
It says, "[PowerBook] may have a wide-screen display that has native resolution of..." As for bundling 23" display along with 17" PowerBook, that won't happen (for obvious reasons) and particularly since the 'book is capable of connecting to 30".

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 4, 2005, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by Filburt:
As for bundling 23" display along with 17" PowerBook, that won't happen

Skimming isn't reading. Learn to read.

Cheetah223
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2005, 06:26 PM

Apple would not have let a mistake like that slip or carried on printing it (the same text still appears) as it would cut into the current generation's sales.
You offer very little support for your argument. I could say "if they were talking about using a 23" display they would have been more specific" and it would hold just as much impact as your argument.

As for the 'mistake' that Apple let slip in the manuals, it's been pointed out to them several hundred times at least I'd guess, they know it's there, who's to say it's not a move to increase anticipation for the next rev. powerbooks? If you've got 100 people who hold back from buying a Rev. D and opt for a Rev. E instead, costing a mere $300 more, you'll make money on this 'cutting into sales'. Perhaps there will be nothing at all done, but a release of an HD screen for slightly more money, which keeps Apple's production costs the same, but brings more money in...Again, they made money after "losing" it because these 100 people didn't buy a Rev. D.
Have:
30GB 5G iPod
Want:
15" 2.16GHz MBP - 20" Cinema Display

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 4, 2005, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by Cheetah223:
You offer very little support for your argument. I could say "if they were talking about using a 23" display they would have been more specific" and it would hold just as much impact as your argument.
I didn't say that a higher resolution screen wouldn't come, quite the opposite (read above). Power Mac sales are slow which has a knock on effect by slowing down monitor sales. That's why you won't see a higher res screen on the PowerBook until Apple rolls out a Power Mac that will sell by either being revolutionary or offer good value for money. It seems they will do all the above in the next generation.

Let's also be clear than the manual does not refer to a PowerBook HD as a true HD machin should also have an optical disc player such as Blu Ray that plays the next generation of HD content. Oh, and the codecs.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2005, 10:08 PM

You come off pretty poorly in this thread. You make assumptions that are unconfirmed and try to make any speculators look like idiots. Do you know what "native" means?

You say that if it's plugged into a 23" Cinema Display it will have "native" 1920x1200...except that it would no longer be "native" at this point. Also: a 17" PB can be plugged into a 20" and 30" Apple monitor (which have different resolutions, so why aren't the rest listed?).

Your speculation makes far less sense than the speculation others have of a potential HD PowerBook.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 5, 2005, 12:10 AM

You say that if it's plugged into a 23" Cinema Display it will have "native" 1920x1200...except that it would no longer be "native" at this point. Also: a 17" PB can be plugged into a 20" and 30" Apple monitor (which have different resolutions, so why aren't the rest listed?).
The same print appeared in the manual for all 12, 15 and 17 inch models with 64MB VRAM. The maximum resolution in closed lid operation is the one mentioned which would be called "native" just as a Power Mac connected to a 23" display would also have the same "native" resolution. Get over it. You're coming up with conspiracy theories.

I DIDN'T SAY THAT POWERBOOKS WON'T EVER SHIP WITH SAID RESOLUTION SO GET THAT THROUGH TO YOUR HEAD.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 12:14 AM

The same print appeared in the manual for all 12, 15 and 17 inch models with 64MB VRAM. The maximum resolution in closed lid operation is the one mentioned which would be called "native" just as a Power Mac connected to a 23" display would also have the same "native" resolution. Get over it. You're coming up with conspiracy theories.

I DIDN'T SAY THAT POWERBOOKS WON'T EVER SHIP WITH SAID RESOLUTION SO GET THAT THROUGH TO YOUR HEAD.
Again:

Why only mention 23" monitors and not the others?

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2005, 01:17 AM

I don't think so... The margins on the PowerBook are pretty damn nice.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 5, 2005, 01:37 AM

Again:

Why only mention 23" monitors and not the others?
Be-cause six-ty four meg ram does not drive high-er res-o-lu-tions on App-le mon-i-tors.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 01:44 AM

Be-cause six-ty four meg ram does not drive high-er res-o-lu-tions on App-le mon-i-tors.
Ah, so the Rev. D 17" PBs with 30" monitor support have a different resolution listed in the manual?

(By the way, you're not nearly as loving when you're not drunk and depressed.)

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 5, 2005, 01:48 AM

Ah, so the Rev. D 17" PBs have a different resolution listed in the manual?

(By the way, you're not nearly as loving when you're not drunk and depressed.)
A. Who cares if the manual was updated? Happens all the time. It seems they removed it because people were misinterpreting what they meant and waiting for new models which won't be ready until Blu Ray is.

B. I know. Trying my best not to feel any form of loving anymore.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 01:52 AM

A. Who cares if the manual was updated? Happens all the time.

B. I know.
A. The manual was updated to say it accepts the 23" resolution at the same time the 17" PBs also gained support for the 30" monitors.

Maybe Apple got lazy.
Maybe Apple messed up.
Maybe you're right.
Maybe you're wrong.

It doesn't matter, but the fact remains that you're being a jerk about something that is NOT clear.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 5, 2005, 01:55 AM

[B

It doesn't matter, but the fact remains that you're being a jerk about something that is NOT clear. [/B]
Which I totally except while pointing out I'm not the only one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules