Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > vista release running on MBP! w00t!

vista release running on MBP! w00t!
rtbarry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2007, 08:09 PM

took some messing around, but finally got wireless working.

running Vista Home Premium on MBP (core2duo / 2.33). slick as (windows) can be.

kinda tricky, since the "Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP" install fails and rolls back on Vista, you have to unpack the drivers from the CD to your harddrive (in command prompt, navigate to the CD drive, then run “Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe” /A /v , which will unpack the drivers to the C: drive.) and then browse to the folder that contains the atheros drivers and manually update the drivers thru the device manager.

then, voila!

amarkworth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2007, 09:57 PM

any luck with isight or bluetooth?

17" iMac 2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM / 160GB Serial ATA drive / 8x DL SuperDrive / ATI Radeon X1600-128MB SDRAM

"Omnia mutantur, nihil interit."

solofx7
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by rtbarry View Post

kinda tricky, since the "Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP" install fails and rolls back on Vista, you have to unpack the drivers from the CD to your harddrive (in command prompt, navigate to the CD drive, then run “Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe” /A /v , which will unpack the drivers to the C: drive.) and then browse to the folder that contains the atheros drivers and manually update the drivers thru the device manager.

then, voila!
what drivers did you update?

prashant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2007, 01:55 AM

My MPB with C2D has problems with sleep on Vista - it refuses to wake up on mouse moves and the keyboard seems to be completely deactivated (caps not working, and none of others wake up the MBP).

Do you have this problem too?

I have Vista Business edition, using Atheros and Apple keyboard drivers from bootcamp.

prashant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2007, 02:10 AM

hmm. Apparently its a known bug.
Windows Vista's Hideous Wakeup Support at The NeoSmart Files

I should have searched before posting.

amarkworth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2007, 01:16 AM

There is a control panel in vista that allows you to change what your computer power button does when you press it. I changed it from "turn off" to "sleep". (More like MacOSX) I don't think hibernate does anything different except for laptops. I haven't had a problem yet getting my mac with vista home premium to wake and sleep using the power button. I haven't had a problem with the keyboard or mouse either, but that's not to say it might be a real issue knowing M$...

Originally Posted by prashant View Post
My MPB with C2D has problems with sleep on Vista - it refuses to wake up on mouse moves and the keyboard seems to be completely deactivated (caps not working, and none of others wake up the MBP).

Do you have this problem too?

I have Vista Business edition, using Atheros and Apple keyboard drivers from bootcamp.

17" iMac 2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM / 160GB Serial ATA drive / 8x DL SuperDrive / ATI Radeon X1600-128MB SDRAM

"Omnia mutantur, nihil interit."

és:
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2007, 07:47 AM

I've not had one single problem with Vista (although, it is still windows and I don't use it that often). Everything works, the UI is pretty good.

Wireless connected easily (the easiest I've ever configured a windows machine, that's for sure), bluetooth KB works just fine.

It's all going well.
( Last edited by és:; Feb 5, 2007 at 07:58 AM. )

macross
Feb 5, 2007, 10:41 AM

How big is Vista home premium? I'm looking to install it and running Parallels?

rtbarry  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2007, 11:11 AM

Default install of Home Premium used up about 12-13GB, which left me 7-8GB freen on my 20GB NTFS partition.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2007, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by rtbarry View Post

then, voila!
as i hate the windows os, how do i go about manually updating the drivers?
i cannot get my trackpad to operate correctly under vista.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 14, 2007, 11:42 AM

Open Device Manager. Locate the trackpad/mouse entry. Choose "update driver." In the provided box, navigate to the trackpad driver on the Boot Camp driver disc and select it. Click "OK" (maybe more than once for different folder levels, etc.) and Windows starts loading the new driver. Maybe you'll need to restart Windows.

It's not hard to do almost anything in Windows, it's just not as simple to find where to do it and not as simple to figure out exactly how.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules