Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Apple DVD Player sucks?

Apple DVD Player sucks?
beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2001, 04:22 PM

I must say, my first experience wtih Apple DVD Player last night was terrible. I went out and got an A/V cable for my new iBook, and so I was excited to try and watch a DVD on my TV. I knew this wouldn't be as good as having a real DVD player, but I figured it would be at least tolerable. I experienced two main problems:

1.) From the beginning of the disc (Traffic, rented from Blockbuster), the audio would "pop" every few seconds, but not at consistant intervals. I later confirmed this would also happen when playing without the A/V cable, so it doesn't appear to be a problem with the TV or cable or A/V port.
2.) By the end of the film, the audio and video were seriously out of sync. And stopping and re-starting the film AND the player software didn't seem to clear it up. I don't have any other discs or access to another player here at home, so I can't confirm that it's not a problem with the disc, but I seriously doubt that's the case.

So, yeah, I'm more than a little disappointed in this DVD Player software. I would expect it to work a lot better than this. Oh, by the way I have DVD Player 2.7 and OS 9.2.1 on a dual-USB iBook.

blot
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2001, 11:45 PM

It is a known problem. To minimise the problems do this:

1. Turn off platinum sounds in appearance
2. Set monitor to display thousands of colors (does not affect DVD playback quality)
3. Give more ram/memory to the DVD app.
4. Ensure that processor cycling is off.
5. Restart and enjoy.

Cheers.

[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: blot ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules