Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Unknown temp item will not delete

Unknown temp item will not delete
bezoar
Jan 29, 2001, 08:47 PM

i was using Empty Temp Folder v1.6.5 and noticed that there is one item that will not delete. it says "Temp-Res 23695, creator unknown, 1k." i was wondering if this file is normally there on all macs or if it's a bug of some kind. how do i delete it if possible? (opt+trash does not work) thanks for any help.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2001, 09:43 PM

nothing in the temporary items folder is there on ALL macs, ANYTHING in the folder can be deleted, if the program wont do it for you, try using resedit, or filebuddy to make the temporary items folder visible and then trash it straight from the finder

rhino_g3
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2001, 10:51 PM

bezoar, I too have an item that will not delete when using EmptyTempFolder. It has been there since I downloaded EmptyTempFolder. I have noticed when deleting temp files that the ones that delete are the ones that say not in use. The one that will not delete for me is TempRes23158 but it always says that it is in use. Also the number behind TempRes changes everytime. As for as I can tell you can only delete the ones not in use. Mabey this file is used by the EmptyTempFolder program itself.

[This message has been edited by rhino_g3 (edited 01-29-2001).]

George Orville
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2001, 11:29 PM

Change Visability from Alsoft is a FREE and simple easy method of deleting any invisible item....In a contextual menu it will show all invisables in any folder or disk. . Then you have the choice to make it visable which will allow you to delete it while you are in the finder..... It really works... It can be found at.......
http://www.alsoft.com
bigbiker

bezoar  (op)
Jan 30, 2001, 11:46 AM

rhino - i know, i noticed the number changing everytime too. and it is always in use.

purplegiant and george o. - thanks i will try your suggestions.

Allah
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2001, 05:18 AM

I don't have a Temp folder. But then I don't run virtual memory. Could there be a connection?
Carp� Bandwidth

Richard Pinneau
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2001, 08:11 AM

Trust us... you DO have a "Temporary Items" Folder. It's set to "invisible"

Use Sherlock to search for all items starting with "Temporary" and it will be listed, even though it is invisible via the Finder.
Using a untility like "CanOpener" will show the list of temp files still there (most left over from crashes which prevented their creating applications from trashing them.) I discovered that megabytes of such files (ending in ".tmp" etc) were giving my PageMaker erroneous idea it was running out of memory.

If you KNOW some are unneeded, they can be trashed from Sherlock search-results list.
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

Forum Links
Forum Rules