Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Traveling - yes or no?

Traveling - yes or no?
Neysh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2019, 02:17 AM

Do you like to travel? If yes, what is your favorite country to go?

reader50
Administrator
Jun 28, 2019, 04:22 AM

Never traveled outside the USA, but I've long wanted to visit Ukraine. We've had many visitors from there, be nice to see what we're missing.

Xilme
Banned
Jun 28, 2019, 06:41 AM

I like to travel, besides I have a lot of business trips. Every year I visit approximately 10 new countries. So, traveling is a big part of my life.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2019, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Xilme View Post
I like to travel, besides I have a lot of business trips. Every year I visit approximately 10 new countries. So, traveling is a big part of my life.
Really? Perhaps there's some kind of service or recommendation you'd like to spam us with...sorry I mean recommend to us?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2019, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Neysh View Post
Do you like to travel? If yes, what is your favorite country to go?
Yes, business and leisure.

I have no favorite country; I like tropical islands a lot (like in the Caribbean, South Pacific etc.)

-t

Thorzdad
Jun 28, 2019, 10:49 AM

I love visiting different places. The actual traveling, especially flying, can be a horrid experience (at least in the US)

My wife and I recently spent a long weekend in Colorado, to celebrate my birth-mom's 80th birthday. We gathered at my sister's place in Gunnison. Mom came up from Santa Fe (another place I love to visit) and my brother came down from Seattle. It's gorgeous up there in the mountains. The flying to/from Denver was rubbish. The 4+ hour drive between Denver and Gunnison wasn't too bad considering the views. It was a fantastic weekend.

I've been out of the country only once. We did our 25th anniversary in a small eco-tourist casita up on the side of a mountain on the Pacific coast of Mexico. The town it was in had no roads to it, so you had to reach the place via an open boat ride along the coast from PV south to the little town. It was a big spend for us, but it was a wonderful, quiet, relaxing week.

My wife traveled Europe with a choir group back in college, and I'm quietly jealous of her for that. There are too many countries I'd love to visit, to choose just one. Just throw a dart at a map, and you'll probably hit one.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2019, 11:04 AM

I always ask this when New Mexico comes up.

Is it really the land of enchantment?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2019, 11:35 AM

I love road trips in the US. There is so much to see, so many great cities, national parks, landscapes.

Even though I travel internationally a lot, and enjoy other countries, you can keep yourself busy for a long time just traveling within the continental US.
The only thing you won’t get is very different cultures, languages and food.

-t

Thorzdad
Jun 28, 2019, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I always ask this when New Mexico comes up.

Is it really the land of enchantment?
Yeah, I suppose it is, in a way.

I like New Mexico quite a lot. It’s beautiful in a rough sort of way, especially the high desert. I’ve never seen a more gorgeous sunset than what I see in NM (ymmv, of course) It’s a hell of a lot more enchanting than Indiana, anyway.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2019, 07:24 PM

I’ve never been, but so far, everyone has answered “yes”.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 28, 2019, 07:50 PM

Travel is great. If it just didn't take time and money. Which everyone I know is short of.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 28, 2019, 08:40 PM

I've traveled to places I never expected to go, and not been to places I always wanted to go. It is not a zero sum experience.

I think everyone in relatively wealthy countries should visit very poor countries for more than just a few hours. Visiting such places makes one appreciate the plenty one has.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2019, 09:53 PM

Yes. I can’t even believe there are non-poor first-world adults who haven’t been out of their own country—wowzers. The US is certainly great to visit—much variety. My personal fav spots outside of North America have been Italy, Spain, Iceland, Azores, Bali and St Vincent & the Grenadines.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

andi*pandi
Jun 28, 2019, 10:48 PM

I think in europe it is easier to visit other countries for cheap. In US, for same distance as France to Spain you just are travelling state to state. I've driven across the country a few times. 38 states? I've been to Canada many times since it doesn't require a flight. Never been to Mexico. I've been to England, France, Germany, Switzerland (a tour), Bermuda, Caymans, and New Zealand.

For our honeymoon we went to Hawaii and Fiji. That was amazing.

mindwaves
Jun 29, 2019, 12:02 AM

I love traveling. In fact, I'm outside right now "traveling." Like everything except the delays and flights (paranoid will crash). Favorite place is Hong Kong. Great food.

Forum Links
Forum Rules