Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > html or windows media player?

html or windows media player?
ShyWizard
Banned
Jan 29, 2002, 03:03 AM

Here is the problem-- I created a link on a webpage to the video file (movie.wmv). Here is an example www.wizard.com/movie.wmv)
but instead of playing the movie, the webbrowser show's me a weird greek language!
This only happens on an Apple....On a PC...it opens windows media player like it's suppose to and plays the movie.

So, i need the HTML to tell my mac browser to open that movie using my windows media player.....and not turn it into greek ancient writing.

How do i do this?

derbs
Senior User
Jan 29, 2002, 07:23 AM

you need to create a .asx metafile and link to that from your site.

open bbedit and paste in

<ASX version="3.0">
<Entry>
<ref HREF="http://www.wizard.com/movie.wmv"/>
</Entry>
</ASX>

and save this as whatever.asx
Now point your link to this.

There's a good article on the microsoft msdn site:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...t/html/asx.asp

"Windows Media� metafiles are simply text files that act as links from Web pages to Windows Media-based content on a Windows Media server or Web server. The basic purpose of a metafile is to redirect streaming media content away from browsers, which in most cases are not capable of rendering the content, to Microsoft� Windows Media Player. Windows Media metafiles have a .wvx, .wax or .asx extension. When a browser downloads a file with one of these extensions from a Web site, it opens Windows Media Player. Windows Media Player then locates and plays the content specified in the file."

ShyWizard  (op)
Banned
Jan 29, 2002, 01:27 PM

I put in the text above and it WORKS! However, now on my friends PC, it no longer opens. I just get a blank page.

What do i do?

derbs
Senior User
Jan 30, 2002, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by ShyWizard:
<STRONG>I put in the text above and it WORKS! However, now on my friends PC, it no longer opens. I just get a blank page.

What do i do?</STRONG>
doh! typical

could u post a link and i'll check it at work?

Forum Links
Forum Rules