Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB Keyboard Recommendations

USB Keyboard Recommendations
John B
Mar 15, 2000, 11:03 PM

didn't like the G4's keyboard, but my
sister's new puppy did
I'd like to get a fullsize USB keyboard
any recommendations>?

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2000, 01:19 PM

I tried the iKey but I don't like the touch, feel, of the plastic and the keys feel "loose" unlike their excellent ADB model which I got from Shreve for $29 and identical to Apple's older Extended keyboard.

I would try an iMate and ADB until Apple comes up with a better k/b. I like the Apple USB for touch, but the lack of full-size (function keys, home/end, arrows, numeric) makes it unusable.

Hum. AppleWorks 6, bad USB k/b, iBook corruption. They are running up quite a track record!

Greg

branny1
Mar 16, 2000, 01:33 PM

I am using the iKey with my G4 450. While I must admit I like the feel of the keys with the Apple keyboard the small function and directional keys were just not usable for me.
The iKey works fine for me.

jeffl
Mar 16, 2000, 02:00 PM

<a href=http://www.drbott.com/prod/ukb600.html>Dr. Bott LLC</a> is selling a new USB keyboard from MacSense for 49.99. I think it has a much better look and feel than the iKey! It is also available in blueberry or graphite.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2000, 02:06 PM

I use an Adesso USB Truform keyboard (the new ice colored one). It works great except for the occacional repeated key during a single key stroke. I use to use an ADB Truform with an iMate but the builtin pointer would wreak havoc with Quake3 (couldn't use a USB mouse)

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2000, 02:38 PM

Macally also sells the imediakey. It has 19 programmable buttons above the keys that can control common tasks like volume, audio CDs, and opening programs.

It's also color coordinated with your G4.

jspectre
Mar 16, 2000, 02:44 PM

as much as i dislike microsoft, the microsoft natural keyboard is excellent.. great feel.. usb. works fine, except for the lack of a power key. you can get freeware drivers for it thru versiontracker that swaps the alt and windows keys to be more mac like (command and option are reversed). all in all an excellent keyboard, i've seen them for as low as $30 at stores with rebates..

James Buratti
Mar 16, 2000, 04:07 PM

Mac Warehouse has their Macally 104 Key ikey keyboard and single button mouse bundled for $49.95 Seach for code BND2908 @ warehouse.com

I like both the keyboard and mouse. Plus you'll have a spare mouse for when your dog gets hungry again.

rugby
Mar 16, 2000, 04:20 PM

I've tried all these keyboards and my personal opinion is they stink poopoo. Go get the Micro Connectors USB keyboard from outpost.com. This is the best keyboard I've ever used and it feels better than the old Apple Extended which I had used for 8 years prior.

WiseWeasel
Mar 16, 2000, 04:55 PM

I am using the Micro Connectors extended USB keyboard, and it is great. I't the nicest looking and feeling, and is available in all six colors. It's a little loud, but it quiets down as you break the keys in. Otherwise, it feels really good. Don't get the iKey, that thing is a joke. The keys are really small, oddly shaped, and feel crappy. I've had no problems with the Micro Connectors keyboard.
I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime les syst�mes, leur application except�e."

WiseWeasel
Mar 16, 2000, 04:57 PM

along with the Contour Unimouse, and you've got yourself a setup. Get the tangerine keyboard, it looks spiffy!
I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime les syst�mes, leur application except�e."

mike3k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2000, 04:59 PM

I got a MacAlly iKey with my B&W G3 and had nothing but trouble with it. I was plagued with mouse freezes & the keyboard suddenly not working. I finally bought an AppleDesign ADB keyboard for $19 and it's working great. The B&W G3 still has a built-in ADB port, but one of my friends is using the same keyboard on his G4 with an ADB adapter and it works great. I'd say forget a USB keyboard and go with a nice ADB keyboard, even if you need an adapter.

batmantis
Mar 16, 2000, 06:21 PM

uhh, well im glad everyone likes the micro connectors keyboard, but anything that isnt split key makes me claustrophobic. any input?

-remember, anything put off til the last minute only takes one minute.

Jake_Ahz
Mar 16, 2000, 08:40 PM

Well, I been using the Adesso Nu-form/Tru-form (I never can keep that straight...) Check out their site at http://www.adessoinc.com/trumain.htm

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 16, 2000, 10:37 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the iMediaKey from MacAlly? How do the keys feel, does the software for it work right? I've been waiting for MONTHS for it to come out, and yesterday I dropped something onto the "enter" key of the numeric keypad of my Apple KB, leaving it permanently mushy... so I need a replacement ASAP (although at least I now have my Pismo to use everywhere <big grin>).

Any experiences?

tooki

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2000, 12:48 AM

I have two days' experience with the imediakey. I like the feel of the keys and the software works correctly (so far).

dent
Mar 22, 2000, 04:38 PM

I too have been looking for a decent USB extended keyboard for the G4. I've tried Macally's iKey, and iMouse Pro (two-button) but I am sick to death of the mouse freezes (which are caused by the iKey). I got a Countour UniTrap and am very happy with that as a mouse except for the loss of the second button, so I will probably buy the "full" Countour mouse pretty soon. As for the keyboard, I finally bought a Micro Connectors one based on comments here and have been happy so far except for the noise. Has anyone had any positive experience with the MacSense one mentioned above on a G4? (which is sold by Dr. Botts)

slider
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2000, 08:06 PM

Batmantis, I have tried the Nu-Form split keyboard and I sent it back. I use my hot keys a lot and if your hand drags forget it. (Apple+A, and you get all AAAAAA's amd lose everything) I would assume that the Tru-Form is the same. DataDesk Tech. is suppose to have their usb smartboard version out soon, March/April, last time I looked. I will be trying this out when it comes out.

Coyote
Mar 24, 2000, 02:14 AM

Sigh...

I so miss the days when I was using the Apple Adjustable Keyboard. Now THAT was a keyboard.

Is there anything like that in USB?

-Coyote

Coyote
Mar 24, 2000, 02:14 AM

Sigh...

I so miss the days when I was using the Apple Adjustable Keyboard. Now THAT was a keyboard.

Is there anything like that in USB?

-Coyote

yanokwa
Mar 26, 2000, 02:19 PM

i will have to nominate the adesso tru-form keyboard in ice. really comfortbale, matches the g4. nice feel on the keys. you can type faster than imagine. get it @ buy.com
"It said Windows 2000 or higher, so I bought a Mac..."

Misterfree
Aug 23, 2000, 12:47 PM

I am using the macsense keyboard and other than being a bit loud when typing, I am happy with it. If looks are a concern, it is by far the best looking of the replacement keyboards available.
I have had a few system freezes since using it but I think most of them can be attributed to Baldur's gate. Man, when are they going to fix that? Good luck

Group51
Senior User
Aug 27, 2003, 04:13 PM

Has anyone tried the MacAlly Ice Key? I saw it in a shop today and it looks hot. I am thinking of spending an extra tenner to get this over the Apple Pro keyboard, but does te Ice Key have all the keys (CMD, Eject volume etc?) Does it need drivers?

Any opinions?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 27, 2003, 04:22 PM

I just bought an IceKey yesterday, and so far I am pretty happy with it. It's more "clicky" than I had expected, but it's not bad, and comparable to the keyboard on the aluminum powerbooks. It has the eject and volume keys, etc but you do need to install a driver for them to work. I prefer the low keys to the white Apple pro keyboard.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2003, 07:45 PM

Well, when I originally posted to this thread (back in 2000) I was using an Adesso keyboard. I've since chucked it and am currently using a Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro. IMO, it's the best keyboard for Macs (I prefer the split keyboard design. Too bad it's discontinued.

torifile
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2003, 09:32 PM

Umm. Why are we dredging up a 3 year old thread? Sure, the question is still valid, but....

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2003, 10:31 PM

Nice finding... stick with the Apple Pro keyboard.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2003, 08:39 AM

I have an Apple Pro Keyboard, it's nice but the Macaly Ice Key is nicer
we don't have time to stop for gas

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2003, 09:34 PM

I enjoy my Apple Keyboard. But if you're really picky, go to best buy and try some out. any USB keyboard will do, in all reality.

matcho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2003, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by torifile:
Umm. Why are we dredging up a 3 year old thread? Sure, the question is still valid, but....
Because, as you stated; the question is still valid.

Not everyone was involved with the thread 3 years ago.

Forum Links
Forum Rules