Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can you fix sluggish typing in Word?

Can you fix sluggish typing in Word?
m i k e
Jul 4, 2007, 03:10 AM

I am getting ready to purchase a MacBook Pro but went to the Apple store today and found that when typing in Microsoft Word for Mac it's rather sluggish (as in the text takes its time to appear). This wasn't just on the MBP and seemed to be a flaw in the application. Has anyone found a way to fix this?

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2007, 03:36 AM

Turning off the auto-spelling and auto-grammar checking as you type features improves things. And yes, it is just a flaw in MS Office and has been for the past 5 years.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2007, 07:13 AM

It's a flaw in Microsoft, actually, and I call it the "it-ain't-a-feature-if-it-ain't-turned-ON-by-default" school of thought.

****ing morons.

If you don't want to lose the auto-spelling, just turning off the auto-grammar already improves things *drastically*.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2007, 04:13 PM

Live Word Count! It's the live word count that needs to be turned off first. Then grammar checker, then spell checker
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 4, 2007, 09:06 PM

I have not had that much problem with the text lagging my typing in Word. It is not quite as fast as when I type in, say Text Edit, but it's not too bad.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Sethro
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2007, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by D'Espice View Post
Live Word Count! It's the live word count that needs to be turned off first. Then grammar checker, then spell checker
Right on!

By turning off Live Word Count, Grammer Checker, Spell Checker and Auto Correct the application runs fairly smoothly on an Intel machine. You have to remember that Microsoft Office 2004 is a PPC native application and it runs under the Rosetta emulation alogrithm, I belive that the next version of Microsoft Office 2008 is a Universal Binary.

Until then I recommend using Neo Office, its a great alternative and its fast and much more usable that Microsoft Office.

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Jul 4, 2007, 10:13 PM

I always recommend Neo Office to my clients and customers, as it works with MS Office ormat (even '07), and it is free. Until MS Office '08 comes out, Neo Office FTW.

PS: Anyone know when Office '08 is supposed to come out? Last I heard it was supposed to happen this summer...
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2007, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sethro View Post
<snip>You have to remember that Microsoft Office 2004 is a PPC native application and it runs under the Rosetta emulation alogrithm<snip>
Except this has been an issue on PPC machines with Office since version v.X, not just on Intels. And ghporter... yes it is that bad. There is no excuse for any lag in a Word processing application, be it minor or severe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules