Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buzzing from 15" PB AL running Zend Studio

Buzzing from 15" PB AL running Zend Studio
cthree
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2004, 02:33 AM

This is a bizarre problem that maybe someone can shed light on or at least confirm.

I run Zend Studio (a Java app) and it works fine. However there is a strange behavior when I type in the editor. The PB starts to buzz. A faint but appearant 2 tone digital interference kind of buzz that comes from somewhere under the keyboard. I haven't been able to pin it down more specifically.

Even stranger still is that it will continue to buzz until I press one of the arrow keys or click the mouse to move the carat to a new place in the editor, then it stops. It will start again as soon as I start typing again. Keypresses and mouse clicks in other apps or windows don't effect it. I have to click in the editor window to make it stop.

This only happens with this app. Now if I put my ear to the keyboard I can hear noise, not from the hard disk or anything mechanical, pretty much all the time (no it's not a fan) but this gets amplified many times by Zend Studio. It also only happens when the AC is plugged in, full battery or not. On battery power it, and the ambient noise I hear all the time, go away. The ambient interference noise can only really be heard if you put your ear to the keyboard.

So it's somehow connected to both the charger and the keyboard and is also tied to using Java (maybe just ZDE, I don't know as I use no other Java apps). It's also effected by software state in that changing the carat position in the ZDE editor window stops and starts it.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar with ZDE or other apps? Are they Java? Just trying to understand what the deal is.

Cheers.

BlakIce
May 15, 2004, 12:52 PM

i had this problem when i was using illustrator CS, it sounded like it was coming out of the powercord, it stopped so i never bothered to investigate it

Forum Links
Forum Rules