Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Back to Mac

Back to Mac
cthree
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2004, 07:16 PM

Hi Mac peeps,

I thought I'd just share a little story about my sorted past. In Feb of 2004 I bought a 15" PowerBook and I have to admit I feel like a bit of a slut. You may find what I'm about to say interesting, boring, funny or sad. It's up to you, I don't care.

I began my computing life in 1979 when I was just a lad. Remember, in 1979 having a computer was an oddity not the norm. My first computer was an "Intertec SuperBrain" 64K CPM computer. By today's standard a real POS but in the day it was a seriously big deal. My dad bought it for his business, convinced by a salesman that it would improve the quality of his life Anyway, it was a wicked complex machine. It had no graphics support whatsoever, pure ASCII and the display wasn't even addressable so aside from BOL and EOL you couldn't actually move the cursor to anywhere but the next line. It had a cheesy debugger and a copy of MS BASIC. There was no software at all except a silly StarTrek game.

I would spend my weekends going to my Dad's office and screwing with this thing out of pure science fiction facination. I eventually figured out how to view the BASIC source code for the Star Trek game and using 3 volumes of binder bound "documention" figured out how it worked. I continuted to play with that thing for years. My Dad got stung on it's purchase and had a computers are evil attitude which I think still remains to this day even though he now has a web site

I managed to convince him to buy a Zenith brand PC clone in about 1983. It had DOS and there was some software available for things like accounting. Having this machine and graphics capability dreastically improved my BASIC skills. It even had a 5MB hard drive (full height) which was massive!

When I entered High School they had PETs and I took some CS classes. When I switched schools around grade 10 they had Apple II computers. I loved LodeRunner

Shortly after leaveing HS incomplete I landed a job as a company which had a 512K Macintosh. I loved that thing and I guess you could consider that my first "switch" to Mac. I came to acquire that 512K Mac shortly afterward and used it for at least a year as my computer of choice. It landed me a job at a company which distributed Mac hardware and software to resellers. I joined them as Technical Support and quickly became their Mac networking expert. While there I had a Mac II, SE and IIcs.

When I left them I couldn't afford a Mac for myself so I ended up back in the PC world and started working with Xenix. Usenet and UUCP was starting to get popular and I had my Xenix box polling others in the Usenet world for email and news. It was fun and I got to learn *NIX stuff.

Shortly thereafter I was offered another Mac job and was back again in the Mac world, "switch" #2. That lasted about a year and then once again, for financial reasons, was back in PCland.

By this time the Internet was just going public. I racked up some massive and as yet unpaid ISP bills. Linux 0.9 was out and I started playing with that and found myself becoming involved more and more with the Internet, *NIX and PCs. I've been doing that ever since.

Around Dec of 03 I started looking at notebooks. I wanted a notebook but Windows XP was giving me no end of grief. If I was going to invest in a $3000 notebook I certainly didn't want it to be a purchase I'd regret.

I talked around with some friends. One had a Dell and it was a really sweet machine. Great display, powerful, it was my #1 choice. Another friend had an iBook. He loved it and he loved OSX. So that was my #2 choice.

After considering my options for a couple of months I knew that I needed good application support (email, contacts, word processing, general office apps), it needed a GUI I could work with all day long (that took Linux out of the picture), it needed to work solidly without all those stupid hardware issues notebooks are famous for. I knew that I wasn't dependent on Windows so a Mac with Office was a viable solution.

My final decision was reached when while I was staying at my Dell friend's place I was surfing the Internet on his notebook. He had gone to bed so when I was done I shut the lid to put it to sleep. The next morning he said that I shouldn't close the lid because it caused Windows to crash. My decision was reached! That was precisly the sort of thing I didn't want in a notebook!

I ordered my PB two weeks later. I guess that's switch #3 for me. I haven't looked back since My PB and OSX work flawlessly. No stupid hardware issues and the software support is great. I use VirtualPC to download the OBD-II codes from my car but other than that I have no need of Windows.

Cheers and happy Macing

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2004, 08:13 PM

Welcome back.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2004, 02:58 PM

Welcome cthree, its nice to have you here. My first experience was with Apple in 1983. It was after college. Already working as a nurse. At that point no computers in the work place.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2004, 05:25 PM

I had an Apple II, then a Color Computer, then some Tandy 286 clone thing, then a Pentium 120. Then I saw th light and I have never looked back.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2004, 12:02 AM

Ah yes, the wonders of LodeRunner. How I remember playing that game at night... only to hear the birds chirping and rushing to bed to get at least 2 hours of sleep in before school.

We had an Apple //e Platinum with 80 column card, Apple BASIC, ProDOS card, serial card, color screen, mouse, and printer. My neighbor ran a priate board with his Apple II+, 4 phone lines, and 8 5.25 floppies.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

deedar
Mac Elite
May 31, 2004, 12:43 AM

What's a "sorted past"?

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
May 31, 2004, 03:22 PM

welcome back to the one true computer faith

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2004, 03:10 AM

Great computer-story with a happy ending

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2004, 03:17 AM

Originally posted by deedar:
What's a "sorted past"?
He must be a neat freak.

Forum Links