Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Have you used Disco AND Toast? How do they compare?

Have you used Disco AND Toast? How do they compare?
Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2007, 01:15 AM

I'm finally getting some disc burning software.

I have narrowed the selection down to Toast 8 and Disco 1.0.

Have you worked with both? If yes, what's your opinion? How do they compare?

I know, Disco is only in 1.0, so I wonder if it is working well, or still a kind of "pay to get your beta" release...

On the other hand, applications, that got just developed, can score with a more modern code and architecture, so I don't want to rule Disco our for being only 1.0.

And there's the price. Toast costs 80$, Disco 30$. Maybe it's just the well known name your are spending the extra 50$ on...

More important than the price is reliability.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2007, 01:29 AM

Disco is a 'delicious' front end to Mac OS X's burning tools with superfluous smoke rising off the top of the window. It was in heavy development and hype/marketing until version 1.0.2 came out and since March 6th there haven't been any blog posts or any sign of what's to come.
Disco gets the job done. It will burn a cd image or it'll burn a bunch of files to a cd for you. The first is easily done with Disk Utility and the second with the Finder. Other than the disc catalogue, you're not getting anything that Mac OS isn't providing you with already, for free.

Toast has some neat features which I would rather pay for. I like the fact that you can drop a movie into Toast and it will convert it and burn it to a DVD for you, playable in a regular DVD player.
Toast just seems to be a more established application, developed by a more established company. $80 is a lot to spend though.

If you really need a third party cd burning application and have the money, I suggest Toast. Personally, iTunes (for audio/mp3 cds), Finder (for data), and Disk Utility (for cd images) works very nicely for me and the price is nice.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2007, 01:56 AM

Toast is good. And it has a delicious Core Animation-like interface in 8 anyway

I like the fact that you can burn any video (including DiV-X, Xvid etc.) to a DVD or make a DVD from a VIDEO_TS folder (essential in my work).

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2007, 06:24 AM

Disk Utility in your Utilities folder, can burn disks a well as Disco.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2007, 07:31 AM

Disco is an overhyped application with a "cool" interface. But as far as burning goes it doesn't offer much, if anything, over Mac OS X' default capabilities.

I've used Toast as long as I used a Mac and it hasn't failed me once. For me it's a must have application.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2007, 07:34 PM

Thanks for your replies and the warnings regarding Disco.

I guess I'll go with Toast for the advanced features, like spinning a file over several discs, and the easy conversion of file formats to burn a dvd.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2007, 07:54 PM

Good choice.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2007, 08:27 PM

I see you've already made up your mind, but yes, Toast>Disco.

Forum Links
Forum Rules