Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Apple is toying with me..

Apple is toying with me..
MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 12:32 AM

Blah blah blah blah blah.. I had my decision set firmly into the ground that I was going to get the 12 inch Powerbook in June after school gets out. With all the goodies too.. iPod, keyboard+mouse combo, iCurve, etc. Would cost about 2100 dollars..

I had also been playing with Dual 1.25 G4 which cost about 2300 dollars, but figured I didn't need that much power.

But now Apple throws a G5 offer at me.. new 1.6 GHz G5 with Superdrive, 80GB harddrive and 256MB (definitely upgrading his) RAM for $200 off... which comes to $1399.

I don't need portability, but I thought it'd be cool. But maybe this offer is too good to pass up? It ends March 26th.
iamwhor3hay

masugu
Senior User
Mar 19, 2004, 01:34 AM

What are you going to do with the Mac???

If this is you only computer...maybe you need to opt for the PowerBook. The 1.6 desktop will be the 1st to become obsolete...

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 06:46 AM

Well, it could be argued that any G4 machine is already obsolete!

Resale wise, I think the G5 is the by far the best bet, but the fact that the offer ends on the 26th should indicate something

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by masugu:
The 1.6 desktop will be the 1st to become obsolete...
That's a somewhat relative statement. IT really depends on your usage and needs, for some the 1.6 will last years. I still have a 450MHz cube. Yes its slow but it does what I need it to do.

Mike

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by masugu:
What are you going to do with the Mac???

If this is you only computer...maybe you need to opt for the PowerBook. The 1.6 desktop will be the 1st to become obsolete...
Since he doesn't need portability, performance wise the Powerbook will be obsolete long before the G5 will.

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 01:17 PM

If you don't NEED a laptop don't get one. They become dated much faster and with the slow hard drives they always feel much slower then a desktop.

get the G5.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

MrForgetable  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 03:22 PM

Now my other dilemma is how fast are the next rev. G5's are going to be?
iamwhor3hay

djohnson
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 03:28 PM

Good question! If anyone here knows, they cant tell! I say dual 3Ghz, but others will say dual 2.4Ghz...

Spaceboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2004, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
Blah blah blah blah blah.. I had my decision set firmly into the ground that I was going to get the 12 inch Powerbook in June after school gets out. With all the goodies too.. iPod, keyboard+mouse combo, iCurve, etc. Would cost about 2100 dollars..

I had also been playing with Dual 1.25 G4 which cost about 2300 dollars, but figured I didn't need that much power.

But now Apple throws a G5 offer at me.. new 1.6 GHz G5 with Superdrive, 80GB harddrive and 256MB (definitely upgrading his) RAM for $200 off... which comes to $1399.

I don't need portability, but I thought it'd be cool. But maybe this offer is too good to pass up? It ends March 26th.
Ha. I went through the exact same thing, and decided to go with the G5. I didn't really need the portability, and would likely just end up breaking it accidentlly. I put my order in a few days ago, and shipped. Waiting on a new monitor, hoping they come out with newer lcds.. Figure I'll wait through the month on that, and use the crt I have until then.
i don't post much because i like to
watch, read, learn, contemplate the
many random e-thoughts on this MB.

Spaceboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2004, 12:40 PM

So what did you end up deciding, MrForgetable.

I got my G5 1.6 last night, and can't say I could be happier. It's really a great improvement over the 450 sawtooth I was using, although I didn't really have to have more power... It's nice to have it. Also, will be nice to play with garabeband and all that... My only complaint, was that it didn't come with the ilife cds, instead it's just on the generica system disks (at least I hope, didn't check them to see if they were indeed on there).

Now, just need to get rid of the G4, and apple 21 crt I have.. Waiting until the end of the month for that though. Just to see if it's true.. about the monitor increases, else I will likely get the sony 19 lcd instead.
i don't post much because i like to
watch, read, learn, contemplate the
many random e-thoughts on this MB.

MrForgetable  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2004, 11:44 PM

i think i'm going to wait until the end of the school year to get the mac. i still have like 28 hours to make a decision but i'll probably go with waiting. i don't need a computer right now so i won't rush myself into going into one of these ploys by apple
iamwhor3hay

Forum Links
Forum Rules