Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Firewire or USB backup?

Firewire or USB backup?
jtleavens
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2000, 08:34 PM

Anyone have any ideas on backup peripherals (a tape drive would be great) which has a Firewire or USB interface? I haven't been able to find one anywhere.

I know that I can get a SCSI adapter for Firewire, but I'm hoping to buy something that isn't SCSI.

Anyone here know of such an animal?
Justin Leavens

P
May 25, 2000, 12:17 PM

Castlewood Orb is such an animal, available with USB or Ultra-SCSI. 2.2 GB discs. Haven't tried it myself, but I read a review that liked it. USB isn't too fast though.
http://www.castlewood.com/
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

JimWall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2000, 12:47 PM

I use a USB CDRW for back up and man it is slow, maybe I should''ve gone SCSI. It does work though and is reliable.

------------------
James Wall
[email protected]
James Wall
[email protected]

Stephanie
Jun 5, 2000, 12:12 PM

Has anyone heard of a hard drive (ide) to USB transformer kit?
I just found one in a catalog for PC's, and am wondering if anyone's tried it on an iMac. The catalog doesn't list the manufacturer so I can't check with them on compatibility.
I've just 'crossed over' from the windoze world and a 2nd hard drive was my backup preference back there.
--Steph

ertrob1
Mar 27, 2001, 07:21 PM

what about a USB harddrive? i came across this website www.storageusa.com then i purchase a USB hard drive where i'm now using with my ImacDV for storage purposes. the good thing about it is it is a self assembly kit where you can open it and attached a bigger hard drive yourself if needed.

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2001, 10:38 PM

Ertrob, please don't post spam here. The only reason you'd respond to a buried post 10 months old is if you're working for your touted company and trying to promote it. It's a good idea, but try not to make it so obvious.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Fyzycyst
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2001, 01:24 PM

I'm (finally) moving from my PowerComputing to an iMac DV SE 350 and the one thing I want to bring along is my HP DAT tape drive (w/ Retrospect). Any recommendations?? Especially w.r.t. the various USB-SCSI and Firewire-SCSI devices.

Thanks.

- Eric.

Forum Links
Forum Rules