Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > best tv tuner card

best tv tuner card
digiology
Jun 9, 2001, 08:30 AM

Im getting a G4 tower soon, and I will have it in my room, so to save space I want to use my mac as a TV for my Playstation 2, I want to sit up close to it, as if it were a moniter, is it possible to get the quality as good as if it were a game made for the mac? Is it possible to get a scart port in the TV tuner card?
I want the best watching quality, and a decent recording facility, but it doesn't need to be that good. Thanx

PS I will most likely getting an internal one.
Stuff is great, never take it for granted.

csimon2
Jun 14, 2001, 11:51 AM

Unfortunately, the standard video cards for Macs and PCs all have the same problems when viewing anything larger than 640x480. This is the resolution of TV's, but PC monitors can of course get much higher. So when you view your games at full screen resolution, todays PC monitors aren't designed to specifically support the 640x480 res., and when it switches, the video will look grainy and the colors will likely wash out. If you view the video in window mode and say your monitor is set 1024x768 then it will look good. But then you have view your games in a small window. A good example would be to download a full screen movie trailer from Apple's website and look at it at full screen then hit escape to see it in your preferred resolution. If you can live with that, then by all means almost any PCI TV Board will give the same results (I like Formac). For recording, I have so far been very impressed with the results of the Formac Studio, as it allows you to capture in DV at 640x480 with no frame drops.

Forum Links
Forum Rules