Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 upgradeable?

G4 upgradeable?
digiology
May 10, 2001, 08:38 PM

I will be soon buying either a sawooth G4/400 or a new G4/466, and I'd like to know if the processor is upgradeable, so that in around 18 months I can upgrade it. Will the Apolla G4 chips comming later this year be a possible upgrade? What about the G5 next year? I just want to know this so that I will know wether to wait or not.

Thanx

------------------
Stuff is great, never take it for granted.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2001, 10:27 PM

I don't think that you can upgrade a 400 or a 466 but if you get a single 500 you can get another card with a 500 G4 on it for about 1000 check out www.macmall.com and CPU upgades. For the G5 no matter what every one says we won't see it fo about a Year and thats is really optimistic. Apple will tax out the G4 about a gig plus before they will jump up to the next level. This is all pretty sceptical becasaue of IBM might take over the production or share it with Moto. But it is all ways nice to dream.

------------------
I Have a Super Computer

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
May 10, 2001, 10:53 PM

you can upgrade both the 400 and 466 with cpu upgrade moduals, i dont know why G4ME say you cant

digiology  (op)
May 12, 2001, 08:18 AM

G4ME probobly means you cant at the moment because there isn't much of a selection, I just want to know if in a years time will I be able to upgrade.

------------------

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2001, 09:12 AM

Well here is the answer:

The G4 like the G3 uses a ZIF slot to hold the processor. A processor upgrade that works in the G3 works in the G4 due to a very similar architecture. Currently there is not really an upgrade for that machine, but since there are a LOT of G3 and G4's in the world, upgrade companies will most likely create upgrades that work on these machines in the future. I would actually expect quite a few upgrades. Of course there is no promise of upgrades, it will most likely happen.

------------------
Robert Accettura
Owner/Webmaster of

AirSluf
Senior User
May 12, 2001, 03:21 PM

New CPU speeds are finally getting fast enough and plentiful enough for third party upgrades to make sense. With the G4 stuck at 500 for a year, it made the upward move non-cost effective. Waiting for X to come out as well played into that. Now upgrades can be designed that are guaranteed to work out of the box for 9 and X, not just a hope and a prayer.

G4Man
May 12, 2001, 06:39 PM

I have a G4/400 agp sawtooth. I wanted to know if later in the future or if someone was selling a G4 733 processor chip, I could swap out my 400mhz chip and pop in a 733mhz or anything higher than 400mhz. I know people are selling 450mhz and some 500mhz chips on eBay.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2001, 07:20 PM

Not yet, but I would expect them most likely in August.

------------------
Robert Accettura
Owner/Webmaster of

zac4mac
Mac Elite
May 14, 2001, 01:10 AM

My G4 doesn't have any ZIF connectors. I think this changed with Sawtooths.
Processor daughter card has a connector that looks like a high density SCSI connector, with the processor soldered to the card.
No effective difference tho. End result is a small, cheap card with a big chunk of silicon. This ensures upgrades will be available.

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules