Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's everyone doing today?

What's everyone doing today?
MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2012, 09:38 AM

I'm working. Staring at excel. All. Day. Long. Does anyone do anything interesting/exciting for a living? Are any of you stay at home moms/dads? My uncle (about to turn 60) finally got the job of his dreams as a pilot for the Cleveland Clinic. I just hope it doesn't take me that long to wake up every day and actually be excited about work.

What's the real point of this thread? I'm bored and I've hit a brick wall at work.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2012, 09:44 AM

Fighting with the unit tests for the socket abstraction layer. Needed to deal with the usb ethernet adaper getting yanked.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2012, 10:13 AM

I'm too busy to post at 'NN. Seriously.

-t

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2012, 10:15 AM

Me too :/

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2012, 10:25 AM

I gave my dad a hand removing his old oil furnace. He switched the whole house over to Natural Gas and now has a very small, extremely efficient Viessmann condensing boiler for heat. He also used Propane for the stove and dryer, and had those converted to natural gas as well.

The I went to Lowe's and ordered a Pella sliding door for my grandmother which I will be installing on Monday.

Now I'm sipping a beer in my apartment putting off doing the dishes for as long as possible.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2012, 11:00 AM

**** man. I've been thinking of removing the oil furnace as well....problem is, it would have to be electricity (no NG city hookups in my area), and I'm not sure if would be that big an improvement.

Anyways, I've been tearing out much of the inside of this place - walls are horsehair plaster over wooden lath, original 19teensish. Brutal. I've got plenty of beer if you want a "vacation"....
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2012, 11:12 AM

Been teaching all day.

Waiting for my next student.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2012, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
**** man. I've been thinking of removing the oil furnace as well....problem is, it would have to be electricity (no NG city hookups in my area), and I'm not sure if would be that big an improvement.
Anyways, I've been tearing out much of the inside of this place - walls are horsehair plaster over wooden lath, original 19teensish. Brutal. I've got plenty of beer if you want a "vacation"....
Eh, I'm no expert, but I don't think electric heat is really worth the hassle. Unless your boiler is already pushing 30 years old and you were going to need to replace it anyways.

I've torn down more horsehair plaster/lathe than I care to remember, find any treasures yet? I did a house once where we found a newspaper from 1904 in the walls, one of the pages had an article about a local problem with 'negros.' It was surreal.

Thorzdad
Aug 21, 2012, 01:40 PM

Just finished up a proof of a full-page ad for a local community newspaper. One of those ads where the store owner wants to make sure they mention every...damned...thing...they offer. And nothing but tons web-rez jpegs, including their logo, to shoehorn in. Just another day slaving away in Illustrator and Photoshop.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2012, 02:06 PM

Been trying to solve problems with Germans, Frenchies and Indians and drowning in procedure/emails/three-letter-anagrams while doing it.

And sweating. It was 100°F when I left the office. At 19H00.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 21, 2012, 07:37 PM

In Thailand, kind of.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2012, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
In Thailand, kind of.
Hookers don't count.

This afternoon I started making my third (and fourth) Thunderbirds replica puppet.

Here's number one and two...

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2012, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
[QUOTE name="ShortcutToMoncton" url="/t/491491/whats-everyone-doing-today#post_4185283"]

Eh, I'm no expert, but I don't think electric heat is really worth the hassle.  Unless your boiler is already pushing 30 years old and you were going to need to replace it anyways.

I've torn down more horsehair plaster/lathe than I care to remember, find any treasures yet?  I did a house once where we found a newspaper from 1904 in the walls, one of the pages had an article about a local problem with 'negros.'  It was surreal.
[/quote]
Will reply in the other thread I started, to not derail.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules