Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > If a matte option was announced...

If a matte option was announced...
calverson
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2008, 07:03 AM

I know that there is no chance of this happening, but lets just pretend...

If a matt MacBook Pro was announced in Jan 09, what would you do?

Be pissed off? Complain? Buy a new one?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2008, 08:18 AM

I'm content with my MBP, while I would prefer a matte screen, I found that the glossy doesn't suck and further more found I'm actually liking it
~Mike

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2008, 09:22 AM

I'd buy a glossy just as I did last time I bought a MBP.

tcphoto
Nov 27, 2008, 12:53 PM

If matte became an option I would sell mine and buy the matte version. You could bet that I would have exercised the 14 day return option if it was released in time. The glossy was pushed down our throats and as a photographer, I prefer viewing my images on a matte display.

ibook_steve
Nov 27, 2008, 02:36 PM

Who's Matt?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2008, 03:22 PM

I prefer the gloss finish. It's much brighter. If you have a problem, with the gloss, can't you buy a matte finish sheet that will cut the glare?

Kodachrome_Project
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2008, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
If matte became an option I would sell mine and buy the matte version. You could bet that I would have exercised the 14 day return option if it was released in time. The glossy was pushed down our throats and as a photographer, I prefer viewing my images on a matte display.
Not all photographers want the matt screens......just to disrupt that stereotype.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2008, 07:19 PM

Try and do that with a glossy screen.

Good luck.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2008, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by calverson View Post

Try and do that with a glossy screen.

Good luck.
Try that with *direct* sunlight on the display.

Good luck.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2008, 06:49 AM

Yeah, it would never work. But sure as hell a lot better with a matt.

OreoCookie
Nov 28, 2008, 06:56 AM

Not really. I always have problems in the morning writing my e-mails at the subway station (because just at that time, the sun is in my back and shines directly onto the display). The new glassy display is much, much brighter than my matte display (my student got one and it was side-by-side on my desk).

BTW, I've fixed the typo in the title.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2008, 07:40 AM

Yeah, it would never work. But sure as hell a lot better with a matt.
Actually, the opposite is true.

Glossy displays work rather well in direct sunlight, where matte displays give you a massive white smear that obscures *everything*.

You know, for all the threads started on the subject and all the whining, it seems pretty obvious that virtually nobody who wastes their time complaining on forums has ever actually bothered TRYING to WORK with a glossy display.

I'd guess that in your job, due to the bright and often direct lighting, the number of situations where glossy is actually a lot BETTER to work with (apart from the other benefits) probably outweighs the advantages, such as they are, of the matte display.

But don't let that get in the way of your complaining. You're obviously a busy man (as am I ).

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2008, 10:55 AM

Okay, well my friend bought out his MacBook and we did the same thing on the hill.

The difference was incredibly in my favor. While not in direct sunlight, with the amount of ambient light that was reflected off of his was much worse. I will have to do the experiment again in direct sunlight, although I think that matt > gloss with ambient light, and I am never in the position that I can't just turn 90 degrees and be out of the sun.

Oh, BTW I am not complaining. That was not the point of this thread.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2008, 11:06 AM

AFAIU there are matte sheets you can stick onto the glass. Assuming that works and the glass displays are even brighter, what reason would there be for Apple not to switch over everything to glass? (which incidentally is what they're doing right now)

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2008, 11:12 AM

If there were such a thing, that would probably be the best.

But that is off-topic.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 28, 2008, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Actually, the opposite is true.

Glossy displays work rather well in direct sunlight, where matte displays give you a massive white smear that obscures *everything*.

You know, for all the threads started on the subject and all the whining, it seems pretty obvious that virtually nobody who wastes their time complaining on forums has ever actually bothered TRYING to WORK with a glossy display.
Hear, hear! I don't know how many times I had to explain that to people who came in to buy machines from me.

What people often forget is that "anti-glare" is NOT the same thing as "anti-reflective". All an antiglare screen does is to not mirror back a direct reflection to you, but instead all that light energy is diffused across the entire display surface, severely reducing contrast.

amazing
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2008, 08:19 PM

Would this be a fair summary? It all depends on how much you use your laptop in direct sunlight. If you use your laptop more than 50% of the time in direct sunlight, then you should get a glossy screen. If you use your laptop more than 50% of the time inside, and if you spend more than 50% of your time dodging reflections and inconveniently located windows and lighting fixtures (what were those architects thinking, putting a window there?) then you should get matte.

The trouble with facetious summaries like mine, is that one size will never fit all--whether it's clothing size or matte vs. glossy screens. All anyone is asking for is to have that very important choice--which Apple used to allow.

Much as I would like to spend more than 50% of my computing life at an outdoor café in full sunlight, drinking cappuccinos with full broadband access, that doesn't seem to be happening.

I just switched from a matte 12" AlPB to a matte 15" MBP. I realized after the switch how much time I spent on the 12" readjusting the screen angle to compensate for the extremely poor viewing angle. It had become an unconscious habit--and if glossy had been added into the equation, there'd have been even more unconscious, habitual adjustments.

So, yes, you can develop habits where you make a glossy screen fit into your working life. After a while, you don't even notice you're doing it, just like you don't notice other tics. You just make it work.

Personally, I prefer matte.

Urkel
Nov 28, 2008, 08:36 PM

The same could be said for those defending the glassy screen. It's really unfair to categorize everyone who takes issue with reflection as "whiners". Especially when the biggest solution is "change your personal habits in order to minimize the problem". This is a computer. It's a tool thats sole purpose is to make our lives easier so if it doesn't do it's job according to the users expectations then why shouldn't they "complain". Things will never change if everyone shuts up about what's bothering them.

As for the topic, then I have found the screen to definitely be a problem and it's even caused me to cancel my MBP. I used my wifes Macbook and at home I had to move her desk from the window, and at work it was useless due to the overhead florescent lights. I'm back on my glossy Macbook and those issues are non-existent so for me Matte and Glossy are much preferred over Glassy.

(BTW. Another issue is that the Macbook screen is very washed out compared to the MBP which offers truer blacks. Maybe that helps but I'm not buying a Pro until I find out for sure.)

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 28, 2008, 09:18 PM

I'm just remembering (from not too long ago) the huge fuss people made about the matte screen on the original MBP... Oh, it's awful, they said. Oh, you'll get fuzzy pictures. You'll get rotten colors. It'll kick your dog and impregnate your daughter... Ok not that bad, but the others were repeated time and again. And now people are complaining because they can't get a matte screen... I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2008, 09:22 PM

time apparently is the biggest healer.

well, the point of this thread is not another matt vs gloss - rather, what would your reaction be if Apple decided to go ahead and release a matt version?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2008, 09:57 PM

Okay, well my friend bought out his MacBook and we did the same thing on the hill.

The difference was incredibly in my favor.
If that was a MacBook, the difference would have been incredibly in your favor - for obvious reasons, just as it would have been with an iBook G4 and a 15" alu Powerbook.

The displays in the MacBooks have not much in common with those in the MacBook Pros

Duh.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2008, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
(BTW. Another issue is that the Macbook screen is very washed out compared to the MBP which offers truer blacks. Maybe that helps but I'm not buying a Pro until I find out for sure.)
It's true. The MacBook Pro displays are a galaxy away from the MacBooks'.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2008, 10:02 PM

time apparently is the biggest healer.

well, the point of this thread is not another matt vs gloss - rather, what would your reaction be if Apple decided to go ahead and release a matt version?
Sorry - you're right. The premise of this thread was a different one.

Having spent some time with both (and having previously owned a 15" alu Powerbook and now running a 13" MacBook), I'd probably opt for the glossy at this point.

I didn't expect that I'd feel that way, but the MacBook Pros are really, really nice.

OreoCookie
Nov 29, 2008, 03:47 AM

I didn't expect that I'd feel that way, but the MacBook Pros are really, really nice.
Ditto.
A friend of mine got one and it put my first-gen ProBook to shame. I didn't think I'd like them that much, in particular the display. We have CFL lights in the office, but once this thing was switched on, you didn't notice them at all. Brightness, contrast, colors, the screen is really top notch.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 29, 2008, 04:47 AM

It's true. The MacBook Pro displays are a galaxy away from the MacBooks'.
Also, the MacBook Air has a much better LCD than the regular MacBooks.

x user
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2008, 01:48 PM

I replaced my Rev.A MBP Matte screen with a Glossy when it cracked, and i've never looked back, Glossy has been MUCH nicer in every light except florescent...

tcphoto
Nov 30, 2008, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kodachrome_Project View Post
Not all photographers want the matt screens......just to disrupt that stereotype.
I gave my opinion, not a generalization of all photographers. You are welcome to state your own opinion but don't read more into mine.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2008, 04:19 PM

I don't think that Kodachrome meant it personally.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 6, 2008, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I gave my opinion, not a generalization of all photographers. You are welcome to state your own opinion but don't read more into mine.
No, your wording clearly implied that all photographers feel the same way.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'm just remembering (from not too long ago) the huge fuss people made about the matte screen on the original MBP... Oh, it's awful, they said. Oh, you'll get fuzzy pictures. You'll get rotten colors. It'll kick your dog and impregnate your daughter... Ok not that bad, but the others were repeated time and again. And now people are complaining because they can't get a matte screen... I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
I don't remember that. Such a complaint would have seemed very odd, since Mac laptops had always had matte screens before that, and it certainly wasn't new on the MBP.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 7, 2008, 11:00 AM

Well yes, it's true that all PowerPC and earlier laptops had matte screens -- the original MBP just added a glossy option. When the MBP went LED-backlight, though, the matte screen was changed, to a version somewhat less matte than in previous models.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2008, 11:05 AM

I agree. My 17" Penryn is has a much more reflection, or "glossiness", than my 15" Yonah MacBook Pro.

thechidz
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2008, 12:36 PM

I have a matte mbp

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2008, 08:35 PM

I would not select a matte option because I believe we have seen what direction the MacBooks and MacBook Pro's will be headed - glossy screens. I want the newest technologies - I would not buy a new computer and ask for an old operating system; I will start adapting now.

Reminds me of the people that refused to go to OS X and stuck with 9 as long as they could.
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

steve666
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2008, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
The same could be said for those defending the glassy screen. It's really unfair to categorize everyone who takes issue with reflection as "whiners". Especially when the biggest solution is "change your personal habits in order to minimize the problem". This is a computer. It's a tool thats sole purpose is to make our lives easier so if it doesn't do it's job according to the users expectations then why shouldn't they "complain". Things will never change if everyone shuts up about what's bothering them.

As for the topic, then I have found the screen to definitely be a problem and it's even caused me to cancel my MBP. I used my wifes Macbook and at home I had to move her desk from the window, and at work it was useless due to the overhead florescent lights. I'm back on my glossy Macbook and those issues are non-existent so for me Matte and Glossy are much preferred over Glassy.

So the glossy screen on the white plastic macbook isn't so bad? I am thinking of returning the aluminum MBP I just bought (even thought its matte). I just don't like the screen or the aluminum for that matter.
I know the new MB's will bother me with the glass but if the old style MB's glossy screen isn't bad I would go for it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2008, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by steve666 View Post
So the glossy screen on the white plastic macbook isn't so bad? I am thinking of returning the aluminum MBP I just bought (even thought its matte). I just don't like the screen or the aluminum for that matter.
I know the new MB's will bother me with the glass but if the old style MB's glossy screen isn't bad I would go for it.
To me it sounds like you should go to an Apple store and check out these different displays side by side. You could bring your matte MBP with you and compare that one as well. These things are difficult to assess in a forum. And when it comes to your personal preference there is no right or wrong - all that counts is your own impression of the displays.

steve666
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2008, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
To me it sounds like you should go to an Apple store and check out these different displays side by side. You could bring your matte MBP with you and compare that one as well. These things are difficult to assess in a forum. And when it comes to your personal preference there is no right or wrong - all that counts is your own impression of the displays.
Good idea-I will try that.

dosequis09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2008, 09:12 PM

it might persuade me to buy one

jsnowbordr47
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2009, 12:17 AM

I bought my MBP with a matte screen in November of 2007, and it may be the last one I buy for a while. I'm a graphic designer and I can't stand the glossy displays. Even our Mac Design lab at my school opted to go with the older white iMacs rather than the Aluminum iMacs because of the screen.

Matte is definitely the way to go, until Apple offers a matte screen solution to the new MBP I'm going to do everything I can to keep my current MBP going. Though 5 years from now, I might have to settle for whatever is on sale.

If they did release one, I'd be really tempted to go out and buy a new one. That's what I love about my Mac Pro, I have the freedom to choose my own display (a matte one).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2009, 05:38 AM

Apple will go all-glossy and not offer any such solution.

Third parties however already offer the solution. It's a thin film you stick onto a glossy display that acts like a diffusor. It's basically what the older matte displays already had "built in".

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 3, 2009, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by jsnowbordr47 View Post
I bought my MBP with a matte screen in November of 2007, and it may be the last one I buy for a while. I'm a graphic designer and I can't stand the glossy displays. Even our Mac Design lab at my school opted to go with the older white iMacs rather than the Aluminum iMacs because of the screen.
Yes, but other than 5 minutes in an Apple Store, did you or your lab administrator actually ever work with a glossy machine? The glossy screens work great, especially for color-dependent applications.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2009, 01:43 PM

i've avoided reading this thread (until now); i have a new macbook, and basically love it. BUT...i'd trade the glossy screen for a matte screen in a heartbeat; i'd just prefer a non-reflective screen, and would rather see my work (or email, or a movie) than see myself, or room lights (or whatever) on the screen.

obviously this is a personal preference; i see that a lot of people prefer the glossy screen; just wish there were a choice...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 4, 2009, 02:15 PM

I'd like to remind everybody what the topic of discussion in this thread is:
Originally Posted by calverson
well, the point of this thread is not another matt vs gloss - rather, what would your reaction be if Apple decided to go ahead and release a matte version?
So lets please keep it this way.

Insults and bickering do not belong on these forums.
( Last edited by seanc; Jan 4, 2009 at 03:16 PM. )

Carla V.
Jan 4, 2009, 11:19 PM

I'd like one that's a bit half-way there, not as glossy as current MBPs but not as dead as old DELLs.
Spheric Harlot, you're so right, THAT is quite hard on a matt

Carla V.
Jan 4, 2009, 11:21 PM

btw, does anyone know a way in which I could keep the screen clean for a bit longer, I don't touch it or anything but I clean it one day and the next its all filled with dust and stuff... :S

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2009, 06:50 AM

Go into a vacuum.

clockworkwar
Jan 5, 2009, 09:05 AM

Glossy isnt really a problem.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2009, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by clockworkwar View Post
Glossy isnt really a problem.
That's right. It's not.

And sorry to get "off topic," but is anyone else getting tired of it being described as "glossy?" I think the terminology being applied is one of the main reasons for all the apprehension and disdain. "Glossy" makes it sound like it is nothing more than a matte screen (probably considered to be normal mainly due to its prolific use in the past) with lipgloss or some other gooey junk unnecessarily smeared all over it for the sake of appeasing to a percentage of "non-pro" customers who prefer looks (bling?) over function. I resent that.

Instead of "glossy" it should just be called what it is: GLASS. It doesn't look glossy. It looks like glass. (Glassy?)

Glass is a material that has advantages over matte. That these screens need to be defended by saying things like "isn't really a problem" is so ridiculous. The complaints about them got really old and boring a long time ago.

Back on topic: If matte were announced, I wouldn't care.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2009, 09:57 AM

my macbook sure looks glossy to me...

anyway, what's the big deal here? for those of us who prefer a matte screen, such an option would be great.
and for those happy with a 'glass' screen..what's the problem? wouldn't it be fine if apple provided solutions for more of it's userbase (rather than less)?

there's no 'better' here, just different (& this is the company that told us to 'think different')
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2009, 10:08 AM

There is a matte option, just not from Apple. You can stick a third-party diffusor film onto your glossy/glassy screen to make it matte. It's basically adding a layer the old matte screens had "built in". Without it they would have always been "glossy".

Forum Links
Forum Rules