Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Heroes Season Premier

Heroes Season Premier (Page 5)
lavar78
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2007, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
And, uh, Micah is a little young for her, right? Despite that funny glow he gets on his face when he watches her?
Um... he's also her cousin. Ew. I think he's just a happy kind of guy.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Cold Warrior
Oct 23, 2007, 07:01 PM

and probably happy to be able to share solidarity with another gifted person.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2007, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
Um... he's also her cousin. Ew. I think he's just a happy kind of guy.
Legal in a surprising 26 states!
But I agree that he has that beatific smile most of the time.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2007, 01:33 AM

Wow, the last two episodes have really picked up. And tonight's episode proves my hypothesis that Sylar makes any episode better. I like his new mission to turn Maya into a Sylar Mini-Me.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2007, 12:15 AM

Great episode tonight, though I figured out who "Adam" is about 10 minutes before the reveal.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Rumor
Nov 6, 2007, 02:09 AM

Great episode. I had a feeling when they introduced Kensei, that he would have a lot more to do with the story line. Especially since the main symbol was his battle standard.

Next week looks like it is going to answer a lot of questions. I can't wait.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2007, 02:35 AM

Wow, the "Adam" part is crazy, props to you figuring it out early! That's one I didn't guess.

Can't wait for next week, this show is getting better and better!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2007, 03:17 AM

Eh, I more or less figured out the Kensei = Big Bad thing as soon as we saw that he was immortal. Still enjoyed it, though.

BTW, I still think there's a running contest in the NBC advertising department to see who can give Heroes the most bizarre commercial possible. Like, Elle is not a mystery — she's a character who appeared for a couple of minutes in one episode as a random hired gun and holds no interest for me other than being hot (and really, how many sexy psychopaths does this show need?).
Chuck
___

lavar78
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2007, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
Great episode tonight, though I figured out who "Adam" is about 10 minutes before the reveal.
Thanks to Big Mac (who pegged Kensei as the killer about a month ago), I figured out who Adam was last week. It was still cool. I'm almost positive they haven't replayed the death of Hiro's dad because it would give too much away (now that we know Kensei's power).

At first I suspected that he came to our present with Hiro, but then I realized he could've just kept living. How do you defeat someone who can't die? Leave him drifting in space? At the bottom of the ocean? In a normal prison?

lavar78
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2007, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
BTW, I still think there's a running contest in the NBC advertising department to see who can give Heroes the most bizarre commercial possible. Like, Elle is not a mystery — she's a character who appeared for a couple of minutes in one episode as a random hired gun and holds no interest for me other than being hot (and really, how many sexy psychopaths does this show need?).
Ah, but they've hinted that she's not just "a random hired gun." All signs point to her being

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2007, 08:43 AM

Wozers. What a show. I'm enjoying. The Adam plot twist was slightly predictable, but good. Will the irish girl ever come back? If history changes, will she be lost in time?

Rumor
Nov 6, 2007, 02:02 PM

Eh, I more or less figured out the Kensei = Big Bad thing as soon as we saw that he was immortal. Still enjoyed it, though.

Does that mean Clair is immortal as well?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2007, 07:09 PM

I SOOO wish they would just kill off Claire's dad already so she can get on with being the hot super chick instead of the cute-but-whiney super chick.

(goes off fantasizing about all the weird fetish things one could do with a super-healer…)
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2007, 08:45 PM

I like Mr. Bennett. He's pretty much the only character on this entire show with any balls.
Chuck
___

scottiB
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2007, 09:59 PM

Meh, this show is losing what promise it had. Episodes move glacially until sweeps when plot lines are tied-up in minutes.

Mohinder has no spine. Molly's big bad from last season, which could've been terrifying, is some shmoe who's vanquished into a kitchen. The powerful Linderman was actually Adam/Kensei's disciple? WTF? And Peter is spending season two trying to figure out how to control his powers--just like season 1.

The show needs better pacing and better pay-offs.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2007, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by scottiB View Post
Mohinder has no spine.
That's the truth, but it's always been true. I've always kind of viewed him as this comedy relief character who isn't half as clever as he thinks he is.
Chuck
___

Cold Warrior
Nov 6, 2007, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by scottiB View Post
Meh, this show is losing what promise it had. Episodes move glacially until sweeps when plot lines are tied-up in minutes.

Mohinder has no spine. Molly's big bad from last season, which could've been terrifying, is some shmoe who's vanquished into a kitchen. The powerful Linderman was actually Adam/Kensei's disciple? WTF? And Peter is spending season two trying to figure out how to control his powers--just like season 1.

My sentiments exactly. It's pacing like a show in its 6th season, not its 2nd. The whole Peter-amnesia plot feels like a Star Trek TNG episode in the Holideck: just fluff and filler.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2007, 11:38 PM

I like Mr. Bennett. He's pretty much the only character on this entire show with any balls.
Yeah, but he's politically incorrect. So he will be killed off. This is a Peter/Mohinder show. :/

Originally Posted by scottib

Well said.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Cold Warrior
Nov 6, 2007, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Yeah, but he's politically incorrect. So he will be killed off. This is a Peter/Mohinder show. :/
It's an NBC show. I'm surprised they haven't given Rosie a cameo yet.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2007, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Oh, I think it's the Peter/Hiro show (with special guests Mohinder and Claire). That being said, Peter's the one they almost have to eliminate inevitably, because he's way too powerful (the Thor/Superman dilemma, as it were). I suppose they could just de-power him or send him into hiding (kind of like the future timeline from last season). Boy did the Nathan get the short end of the power stick in that family.

Rumor
Nov 7, 2007, 10:09 PM

What does Peter's mom do? Or Hiro's dad? Those are the questions I want answered.

Uriel
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2007, 12:05 AM

'Heroes' Creator Apologizes to Fans

Tim Kring admits mistakes were made at the beginning of season 2, but promises to get back on track

On the chilly Monday morning that Hollywood's writers went on strike, Heroes creator Tim Kring called from the streets outside the Hollywood studio where his NBC series is shot. ''Yes, I'm picketing my own show,'' says the 50-year-old writer-producer. ''So surreal.''

But Kring wasn't calling to discuss labor woes — he was calling to explain why Heroes, suffering a creative decline and a 15 percent ratings drop from the same period last year, went from Human Torch hot to Iceman cold. The good news? A turnaround appears to be under way. After weeks of sluggish storytelling, the Nov. 5 episode recaptured some of last season's fanciful energy. We've also seen the next two episodes — and we like them, too. The cliff-hangers are back. Narrative purpose has been discovered. Old favorites like Peter (Milo Ventimiglia) and Horn-Rimmed Glasses (Jack Coleman) take center stage. Even more encouraging: Kring himself is keenly aware that Heroes is broken. Here's his candid critique:

THE PACE IS TOO SLOW ''We assumed the audience wanted season 1 — a buildup of intrigue about these characters and the discovery of their powers. We taught [them] to expect a certain kind of storytelling. They wanted adrenaline. We made a mistake.''

THE WORLD-SAVING STAKES SHOULD HAVE BEEN ESTABLISHED SOONER The premonition of nuclear apocalypse created a larger context that unified every story line last season. Kring now sees that Volume 2 (the first 11 episodes of season 2) would have been better served if Peter's vision of viral Armageddon had appeared in the season premiere rather than episode 7. ''We took too long to get to the big-picture story,'' he says.

THE ROOKIES DIDN'T GREET THEMSELVES PROPERLY New Heroes Monica (Dana Davis), Maya (Dania Ramirez), and Alejandro (Shalim Ortiz) ''shouldn't have been introduced in separate story lines that felt unattached to the show. The way we introduced Elle (Kristen Bell) — by weaving her in via Peter's story line — is a more logical way to bring new characters into the show.'' (That said, Kring says a few newbies won't make it beyond this second volume, which wraps Dec. 3.)

HIRO WAS IN JAPAN WAY TOO LONG Hiro's (Masi Oka) time-bending adventure in 17th-century Japan — where he mentored samurai hero Takezo Kensei (David Anders) — finally came to an end on Nov. 5. But Kring says it ''should have [lasted] three episodes. We didn't give the audience enough story to justify the time we allotted it.''

YOUNG LOVE STINKS Kring regrets sticking Claire (Hayden Panettiere) with a super-dud boyfriend and forcing Hiro to moon over a cutesy princess. ''I've seen more convincing romances on TV,'' he admits. ''In retrospect, I don't think romance is a natural fit for us.''

Yet while Heroes has finally found some dramatic traction, this second volume is pretty much a wash. The Dec. 3 episode has been retooled to function as a potential season finale — a move inspired by the writers' strike and a desire to give the show ''a clean slate'' when it goes back into production for Volume 3. At that point, Kring wants to craft a rebooted Heroes that can attract new fans and win back those who've tuned out: ''The message is that we've heard the complaints — and we're doing something about it.''
''Heroes'' creator to fans: I'm super sorry | Heroes | Television News | TV | Entertainment Weekly

Cold Warrior
Nov 8, 2007, 12:16 AM

Thankfully, it sounds like he gets it.

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2007, 02:35 AM

Wow. Sounds like every single complaint was covered. Interested to see what changes they make for the rest of this season and the beginning of next.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
What does Peter's mom do? Or Hiro's dad? Those are the questions I want answered.
I was wondering about Hiro's dad last season. After the last ep and the whole "You're the most powerful of us all." line I'm wondering what her thing is.

And what was up with her and Hiro's dad. Rrrrrrraaaaaarrrrr.

Stupid strike.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2007, 01:47 PM

Damn all those points is exactly the same complaints I have been saying.

I think it may be too late to save it now as they lost 15% from season 1 and if season 2 gets cut short because of the writer strike then season 2 will leave a REALLY bad impression for the remaining fans and even less will return for season 3.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2007, 02:27 PM

I'm still annoyed they didn't kill off Peter and Sylar. Plus a lot of the show simply feels disjointed.

I actually did like the Hiro Japan story though, and the Ando filler. Quite amusing.

Let's just say, perhaps this writers' strike is a good thing... maybe a chance to lose some of the writers that aren't quite pulling their weight.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2007, 02:31 PM

It didn't make sense for Peter to die. Nothing short of a precision spear to the brain can kill him.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2007, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Damn all those points is exactly the same complaints I have been saying.

I think it may be too late to save it now as they lost 15% from season 1 and if season 2 gets cut short because of the writer strike then season 2 will leave a REALLY bad impression for the remaining fans and even less will return for season 3.
They had no viewers before it started. If they can work with that, I think they can come back from a 15 percent loss.
Chuck
___

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2007, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It didn't make sense for Peter to die. Nothing short of a precision spear to the brain can kill him.
I'd say a nuclear blast trumps a spear to the brain.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2007, 02:46 PM

Not if he's the source of energy. Ted was never hurt by his own energy.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I'd say a nuclear blast trumps a spear to the brain.
As Claire proved in Company Man, no it doesn't.

BTW, weren't Ted's hands always all blistered and bandaged from his power?
Chuck
___

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2007, 03:27 AM

I'm still annoyed they didn't kill off Peter and Sylar.
Why? Sylar is the most interesting character on the show. However, it looks like there won't be much more of Sylar this season because Zachary Quinto is leaving to play Mr. Spock in the new star trek movie.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 04:33 AM

I think they said he'll be gone for 11 episodes, so roughly half the season. It's a shame, because Sylar is the best character on the show.

You know, I like Christopher Eccleston and all, but I think him turning down the Sylar role is the best thing that even happened to Heroes.
Chuck
___

Cold Warrior
Nov 9, 2007, 10:30 AM

Sylar might as well be gone now. Like the season mostly so far, he's there but not really. Lame plots with him so far. I hope he comes back in force. He's a bad ass, a great character IMHO.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Why? Sylar is the most interesting character on the show. However, it looks like there won't be much more of Sylar this season because Zachary Quinto is leaving to play Mr. Spock in the new star trek movie.
He was one of the most interesting characters, but they've really milked it too much. I'd rather see the focus on something else for subsequent seasons.

Also, the fact that they wouldn't kill off either Peter or Sylar suggests to me that the show isn't as willing to take any significant risks to advance the plot as perhaps I'd hope they would be. It's kind of annoying when you KNOW characters aren't gonna die.

But we shall see.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 11:06 AM

It wouldn't have made sense to get rid of Peter, but Nathan on the other hand. . .

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2007, 11:48 AM

Also, the fact that they wouldn't kill off either Peter or Sylar suggests to me that the show isn't as willing to take any significant risks to advance the plot as perhaps I'd hope they would be. It's kind of annoying when you KNOW characters aren't gonna die.
Yeah, Superman, Batman, Spiderman and others all sucked because you knew the main character, the hero of the story, wasn't going to die.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Yeah, Superman, Batman, Spiderman and others all sucked because you knew the main character, the hero of the story, wasn't going to die.
The difference here is Heroes is a collection of heroes, who can be killed, and basically they set the entire season up so that two of the main characters WOULD be killed. They advanced the story based on this premise, not on the premise that they were opening up cans of whupass on the bad guys.

However, then they just magically appear alive later. Not the greatest story telling IMO.

It kind of reminds me of Seaquest DSV. They re-introduced a whole bunch of characters in a later season by simply making them magically appear out of the blue, like in the bar, in showers, etc., cuz they couldn't figure out a way to bring them back elegantly.

So, they spend lots of episodes telling us how Peter is going to die... and then he explodes in a nuclear blast... and then he somehow conveniently just ends up in a shipping container, missing his memory.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 12:07 PM

No one ever said Peter was going to die. They only said he was the bomb.

Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2007, 04:18 PM

We may not ever see Sylar again this season, because as of right now it's looking like an 11 episode season unless those writers get back on track.

(And they've indefinetely postponed "24." F^ckers.)

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2007, 04:23 PM

So, they spend lots of episodes telling us how Peter is going to die... and then he explodes in a nuclear blast... and then he somehow conveniently just ends up in a shipping container, missing his memory.
Dude, you're not getting it. Peter met Claire and got her regenerative abilities. Remember when Claire took Ted's blast and lived? Remember how Taeko is now still alive as Adam (even though he blew up 2,000 years ago in Japan?) They all have the same power. They can't die.

Unless, as was stated, they get a spear to the head that no one removes. Then they would be dead, assuming the spear was never removed. But I think if it's removed, they come back to life, I'm not positive though.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 04:46 PM

Yes, Peter came back to life after his confrontation with Sylar. Claire pulled a glass shard from the back of his head.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 06:19 PM

No one ever said Peter was going to die. They only said he was the bomb.
In fact, we had been told Peter was not going to die, because he was alive in the future after having blown up New York. If anybody thought he was going to die, they're a sucker.
Chuck
___

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2007, 02:01 AM

Yes, Peter came back to life after his confrontation with Sylar. Claire pulled a glass shard from the back of his head.
Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of, thanks. Wasn't there one too where Claire pulled something out of her own head (or was it chest?) after she seemed dead.

Cold Warrior
Nov 10, 2007, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of, thanks. Wasn't there one too where Claire pulled something out of her own head (or was it chest?) after she seemed dead.
it was the stick she fell on when that football player tried to rape her by the stands. It stabbed into her brain, and the coroner removed it after cutting her open for an autopsy.

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2007, 01:42 PM

Oh damn you're right. Now I want to go watch the first season again, it seems I only vaguely remember most of it!

Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2007, 01:58 PM

The thing is, The Kensei still alive thing doesn't really make sense. Why isn't he 2,000 years old? It can't be that his abilities prevent him from getting old, because he reaches 30, right? Same with Claire, she grew for 18 years or whatever. Kensei should be like this tiny wrinkled old man that want to die but can't.

Cold Warrior
Nov 10, 2007, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
The thing is, The Kensei still alive thing doesn't really make sense. Why isn't he 2,000 years old? It can't be that his abilities prevent him from getting old, because he reaches 30, right? Same with Claire, she grew for 18 years or whatever. Kensei should be like this tiny wrinkled old man that want to die but can't.
You're over-analyzing. His ability to heal probably extends to the cellular and DNA level, in which case his cells, organs, and body exist in a constantly-rejuvenated state. Old age is a byproduct of a body's failure to repair itself. His system seems to have set its clock at 30 or so. Claire's may do the same (although the show will be long gone by then).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2007, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Oh damn you're right. Now I want to go watch the first season again, it seems I only vaguely remember most of it!
It was a fairly early storyline. I think she dies and comes back in episode three — either that or she comes back at the beginning of episode four. Or probably both, knowing this show.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Nov 10, 2007 at 02:28 PM. )
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules