Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > New Mac user how-to's

New Mac user how-to's
wfaries
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2001, 02:24 AM

I'm a new mac user and I just purchased a 233mhz blueberry iMac with OS 8.6. I'm searching for Internet sites that show beginners how to use the Mac OS 8.6 software and the Macintosh in general. Would anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Cipher13
Jan 6, 2001, 03:21 AM

I don't really know, but from what I gather the iMacs for dummies books or something are meant to be good.
Just make sure you get an older one pertaining to MacOS 8.6 and the original iMac.
Um... they didn't make 233MHz Blueberry iMacs - you mean the Bondi ones or a different speed iMac?
The best way to learn is to read posts around here, and experiment. You will pick it up quickly...

Cipher13

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2001, 05:24 AM

Do yourself a real favour and get:

MacWorld MaSecrets 5th ed by David Pogue and Joseph Schorr - IDG Books.

Amazingly entertaining and informative about all things Mac.

WDL

marc riede
Jan 6, 2001, 08:45 AM

Okay, wfaries:

You've come to the right place. These fora have been invaluable to me over the last year and Cipher 13 has been a great help @ 3066 posts [even though I've never said so before, Cipher].

As a relative newbie the first thing I would say to you is don't f*** with your system folder: Leave it alone until you know better.

Spend a month reading these posts: It will save you a year of trouble.

josntme
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2001, 10:32 AM

The best thing about a mac is the little help button at the top of your screen. It contains almost everything needed to operate a mac
You do not really understand something unless you can explain
it to your grandmother."
- Albert Einstein

marc riede
Jan 6, 2001, 11:17 AM

I'll also suggest:

Get your basic OS working solidly and soundly before you start introducing aliens: Then bring them in one at a time so if any of them f*** up you know who the culprit is.

MS programs [IE & OE] are particularly deviant and will screw you any chance they get. They're OK once you get them working though.

Research these fora before installing: Do your homework.

As with anything in life: Be solid, be safe and back-up.

PS: Go to http://www.versiontracker.com/ for all Mac stuff.

marc.

[This message has been edited by marc riede (edited 01-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by marc riede (edited 01-06-2001).]

wfaries  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2001, 11:35 AM

I'm sorry, the imac is the bondi blue. Thanks for the great advice. I have this forum bookmarked and will be coming back here regularly. I've tried other dummie books on other subjects and they were great so I will try that as well for the Macintosh. I'll also go under the Help menu and dig around. I'm having to do all of this on my own so I will definitely take it easy and not mess with anything until I understand it.

Thanks again!!

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2001, 01:57 AM

And don't hesitate to post questions about problems that you're having. One common problem that new folks have with the Mac OS is that the OS doesn't allocate memory dynamically to applications--you have to do it by hand to begin with, and then forget about it. So if you get a message that says you're low on memory, and you can't figure out why that should be the case, go to the Finder's Help menu and type in "adjusting your memory usage." It'll save you some trouble. Enjoy and welcome to the Mac community!
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

smic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2001, 04:46 AM

get the imac for dummies book
i had it but read thru it in a day and took it back
i thought i was a dummy but i learned more then i thought but it had alot of information
some i didnt know before and comes in handy now still
and that was a year ago
but in short it is a VERY awsome book for beginners to read

cheers
w3rd..
surrey represent

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2001, 12:12 PM

Biggest problem is how to backup files and data. What to do when things don't go right.

Amazon.com - look for Mac OS books like "how to get most out of iMac" and "Sad Macs" and "Troubleshooting" 4th Ed are also good to have around.

Disk Warrior is the first disk utility to turn to when Disk First Aid won't fix a problem.

If it needs more RAM, now is a good time to be buying memory also. More memory always helps (128MB is "adequate" and 192MB would be fine.

You use to be able to add a SCSI type card to the lower slot of the iMac series A and B to make backups easier and much much faster. Might want to check that dept out.

The only real problem is web browser, what to use, what to do if it crashes, etc. and while iCab is great it won't do Secure HTTPS for online shopping and banking activities. For which Netscape 4.08 or 4.6.x or IE 5.0.

Like others said, take your time as you add or install.

Apple has a lot of info online. There are still 8.6 "Reports" on MacIntouch or MacNN and also MacFixit

Gregory

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2001, 02:50 PM

Bah, im on my first iMac and i taught myself how to use it day by day. All it took was 3 clean installs, a new video/analog board and about 200 posts on what the hell was going on in this bulletin board......uhh on second thought, get the books.

------------------
--->Sk

Forum Links
Forum Rules