Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Film Competition > **Ideas for next competition

**Ideas for next competition
Demonhood
Administrator
Jan 31, 2002, 05:46 PM

While everyone waits for the judges, I'd like to hear some ideas about making next year's competition even better. I'll throw some out to start things up:

- More publicity. The obvious choice. I'll try to get a temporary tab on the main page as well as some cross promotional stuff going on so that more people know about the competition.

- Different categories. Maybe more than 5. I think I'd like to keep Computer Related, Music Video & Animation, but the rest can be changed.

urbanmastermind
Jan 31, 2002, 07:00 PM

I feel that (all of the above)

Other possible categories (to replace misc) could be:
1- Documentary
2- Drama
3- Comedy
4- And maybe individual awards for writing, direction, music etc... Just a thought....

Other ideas of mine would be to have a permanent forum devoted to sharing your film, photography, music, or artwork. I'm beyond impressed with the things here and would love to see other's art. I know I would be willing to be an admin either in a new section or here next year (Y'know lighten the workload ). Maybe even a 'meet the judges' section.

Either way, I really appreciate what you've done Demonhood. Your hard work shows through and through.

sdchef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2002, 10:27 PM

Perhaps a change on "music video" to reflect original music concepts vs. using an existing artists song to advance the theme of a video.
Amateur, student and professional catagories?
fatmac->macplus->P550->280c->PM7250->Yosemite->iMac800-> Intel iMac 2gig

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2002, 11:33 PM

make a science fiction category too!

sdchef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2002, 05:13 AM

Just had one of those midnite thoughts...
How about an ongoing festival in which "winners" are picked monthly, possibly by community vote. Each monthly winner goes on to the BIG award at the end of the year. I know it's loony but...

urbanmastermind
Feb 4, 2002, 01:00 PM

That's a cool idea, I would love that...

One more idea: Faster turnaround on the judges decision... I mean less than 20 days...

peace,
Evan

jwardell
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2002, 02:55 PM

I agree with more winning categories. Not just a "best of" each category, but things like best editing, sound mixing, cinematography, best original soundtrack, etc. Maybe these wouldn't receive as big a prize as the "best" ones but it would be nice even to have the recognition. It's hard to judge best overall especially when entries vary so widely. Maybe pick up a sponsor or two, which would help both with the publicity and with prizes.

I will soon be starting the editing of this year's ski video, one more ski trip to go!

Kimbup Boy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2002, 01:37 AM

In terms of categories... I was thinking that it was great to see films from people who were first timers or were just doing this stuff for fun at home... and these films (many were very good) shouldn't have to compete in the same category with a film made by someone for his work or for a school environment project, etc...

There should be two sub catergories within a main catergoy of, say ex.. Animation - "amateur" + "pro?"

Kimbup Boy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2002, 01:40 AM

I don't know if anyone already did this, but... On Apple's quicktime site, they have "hot picks", and they have a link where people can submit websites with cool Quicktime content..

don't you think MacNN Film competition, that showcases great films/animation using great apple products, and showing mainly off their iTools homepages is a great submit?

here's the link http://www.apple.com/quicktime/hotpi...lus/index.html

urbanmastermind
Mar 3, 2002, 05:18 PM

Word. That would be cool to get it listed with Apple...

Anyway.. almost two weeks since last post and two months since the comp ended... what's everyone been up to lately?

Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2002, 09:22 PM

I'm starting to get a bit curious myself... is there at least an estimated time until judging?

nitram_again
Mar 4, 2002, 09:12 AM

here's a few ideas:
1. a theme. you pick it, we make it. it could be as simple as a word like "couch" or "fat".

2. a category for iMovies made using ALL the supplied (standard) sound effects.

3. in the spirit of the Oscars, Best Foreign Film. Do Aussie flix count?
_ _ _ _____________ _ _ _
Martin

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
Apr 2, 2002, 01:43 PM

it has been suggested that you, the macnn community, judge the competition.

what do you think of that?

if we were to implement this, i think it'd be restricted to people that have been registered before a certain date (so no stacking the deck). it might be offset by mod/admin voting, but i dunno.

keep the ideas coming.

basspower
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2002, 02:33 PM

i like the idea of have the participants vote on the winners. i do not think that the entire community should be able to vote because there is only so much one can do to prevent "stacking the deck." some people have multiple names and others have many registered friends. i think that anyone who submits an entry should get to vote on every catagory exept the one for which they submitted an entry. the only problem with this system is that there is no gaurantee that the voters will view all of the entries.
Bass players do it deeper.

sdchef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2002, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by basspower:
<STRONG>i like the idea of have the participants vote on the winners. i do not think that the entire community should be able to vote because there is only so much one can do to prevent "stacking the deck." some people have multiple names and others have many registered friends. i think that anyone who submits an entry should get to vote on every catagory exept the one for which they submitted an entry. the only problem with this system is that there is no gaurantee that the voters will view all of the entries.</STRONG>
this brings up a very sad thought that the idea of the artist, the creativity of the film, the skill behind the editing means nothing and it's back to high school popularity contests. i was very excited to finally enter a film in a contest, even when i had to butcher the compression to make it fit a web site, i felt confident that what i had put together would strike a chord with some audience. now i just feel like the new guy at school with no friends and no rep. it doesn't seem likely that it will matter who judges if the misgivings already there include multiple names and stacked decks. sad

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
Apr 2, 2002, 03:58 PM

the alternative to allowing members (or only people that enter) to vote is for me to organize a group of admins/mods that would guarantee to me they would get their scores in by a certain date. this would mean less people would vote, but you wouldn't have the same concerns about stacked decks or popularity contests.

or perhaps people that enter can vote (except in the categories they enter in..or at least not for themselves ) and the mods/admins vote as well. only the mods/admins votes count for 1.5 or 2 votes. this would likely offset any obvious stacking, and it'd still be an award given by your peers.

or not, i'm just thinking off the top of my head here.

sdchef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2002, 02:32 AM

one thing that would be emmensely helpful would be a sponsor offering server space to host the festival. I am sure that others in this competition had similar problems as i in putting an adequately sized qt file on limited websites. if some of you are doing these just as webmovies more power to you but i design my films for tv size screens. trying to compress 2 gb dv files to a 320x240 film that will fit on my apple webpage and still look like anything...ouch! you all know that seeing spacecowboys or monophobe would look bitchin on a big screen compared to what we are trying to judge.
anyway just an idea

icanadian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2002, 01:27 AM

As a member and a participant I would like to suggest that a panel of judges be selected from a pool of volunteers.

Perhaps interested people could nominate themselves with details of why they would make a good and impartial judge. then the participants from this year would elect the next panel.

this would take some pressure off the admins and allow anyone with the time and ability to help

just an idea
This space for rent.

basspower
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2002, 02:59 AM

Originally posted by icanadian:
<STRONG>As a member and a participant I would like to suggest that a panel of judges be selected from a pool of volunteers.

Perhaps interested people could nominate themselves with details of why they would make a good and impartial judge. then the participants from this year would elect the next panel.

this would take some pressure off the admins and allow anyone with the time and ability to help

just an idea</STRONG>

What criteria would a good and impartial judge have?
Bass players do it deeper.

icanadian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2002, 05:00 PM

a good judge may have experence/training in the arts mabey even in film. An Impartial judge would be a person that has no relationsip with any of the people who enter.
This space for rent.

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2002, 08:55 PM

hey all, i've been reading your posts, and it seems like a lot of fun what you are all doing (especially the part about getting listed on apple). Is this competition just MacNN users, or is there more people involved in it ? It seems like a great way for everyone to get to know each other. My wife is an art major, and she says that you can tell a lot by a person by the photographs they take, etc. Anyway, I'll get to the point..Can someone tell me when the next competition is going to start ? I'd like to get involved with it. Thanks in advance,

Anim8r

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 13, 2002, 12:23 PM

I like the idea of having people apply to judge and then get selected by you guys. Everyone votes on judges, judges vote on movies. Sound's good to me.

We tried to have more volunteers from Mods but I don't think anyone had the time.

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
Jun 20, 2002, 09:45 PM

the only problem with picking judges is you have to make sure they're impartial. or at least mostly so.
well, whatever happens, i'll pick the judges for next year a few months in advance, and make sure they're available.

speaking of next year, how does mid October sound for the start of the next competition?

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
Sep 3, 2002, 01:55 PM

this is a bump to see if this forum will come back onto the front page.

and to say that the current time frame for the next competition will likely be October 15 - December 15 with a ruling on the winners sometime in January.

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
Sep 21, 2004, 01:39 AM

A real bump this time.
The competition will be returning at the end of this year.

One of the rule changes I think I want to put in place is that each entry must be made for this competition. I'm not 100% sure on this one yet though.
Please contribute your suggestions to this thread.

*remember to view the old film comp sub-forum at 'since the beginning'. otherwise nothing will show up*
( Last edited by Demonhood; Sep 21, 2004 at 01:47 AM. )

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2004, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
A real bump this time.
The competition will be returning at the end of this year.

One of the rule changes I think I want to put in place is that each entry must be made for this competition. I'm not 100% sure on this one yet though.
Please contribute your suggestions to this thread.

*remember to view the old film comp sub-forum at 'since the beginning'. otherwise nothing will show up*
I'm new to MacNN and don't know if you know about
http://www.48hourfilm.com/

I'm afraid to bring it up because I'm sure you already know of it.
I'm afraid NOT to bring it up because it's an interesting project and I'd kick myself if you HADN'T heard of it and I didn't bring it to your attention.

I have no experience with it. I just know it exists. Don't even know if I'd participate in the MacNN contest, but I do have a camera.

FYI

Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

Forum Links
Forum Rules