Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > NDAs of Thunder

NDAs of Thunder (Page 2)
subego
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2018, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I doubt too many people think of Avenatti as a hero on a white horse, so him being outed as a bit sleazy isn't going to matter too much. He still seems to have a mountain of really good dirt to sell. The bigger plot point that eventually will be outed is who, exactly, is funding him and feeding him all the dirt?
Well, yeah... the hero on the white horse is Trump.

It’s the whitest horse you ever did see.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2018, 08:55 AM

I doubt too many people think of Avenatti as a hero on a white horse, so him being outed as a bit sleazy isn't going to matter too much. He still seems to have a mountain of really good dirt to sell.
He hasn’t done a good job of selling a (Green) mountain of coffee.
Stormy Daniels' lawyer once bought a coffee chain for $9 million with a famous Hollywood actor — and all the shops mysteriously closed earlier this year amid dozens of lawsuits

The bigger plot point that eventually will be outed is who, exactly, is funding him and feeding him all the dirt?
A friend posted it’s Organizining for Action. It would not surprise me if it was. My bet it’s Mueller, paying and feeding. Mueller my have his own problems.
Mueller may have a conflict — and it leads directly to a Russian oligarch
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 15, 2018, 09:12 AM

I doubt too many people think of Avenatti as a hero on a white horse, so him being outed as a bit sleazy isn't going to matter too much. He still seems to have a mountain of really good dirt to sell. The bigger plot point that eventually will be outed is who, exactly, is funding him and feeding him all the dirt?
It'd impact his credibility. As it is now, his credibility is questionable. He infers more than he accuses. The lobbying stuff was huge but I'd be surprised if he could deliver more non-Stormy bombs.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 15, 2018, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
My bet it’s Mueller, paying and feeding. Mueller my have his own problems.
Mueller may have a conflict — and it leads directly to a Russian oligarch
You are certifiable.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2018, 09:54 AM

Mueller has used questionable tactics before.

Silverglate: How Robert Mueller Tried To Entrap Me
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 15, 2018, 11:57 AM

So, to be clear, you think it's more likely the former GOP deputy AG and head of the FBI had corrupt links to the Russians than an amoral NYC real estate businessman?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2018, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
So, to be clear, you think it's more likely the former GOP deputy AG and head of the FBI had corrupt links to the Russians than an amoral NYC real estate businessman?
Corrupt, don’t know. Shady to say the least. There are questions about using him to try and rescue former FBI agent Robert Levinson, which State scuttled at the last minute. His whereabouts are unknown today.

Deripaska also appears to be one of the first Russians the FBI asked for help when it began investigating the now-infamous Fusion GPS “Steele Dossier.” Waldman, his American lawyer until the sanctions hit, gave me a detailed account, some of which U.S. officials confirm separately.

Two months before Trump was elected president, Deripaska was in New York as part of Russia’s United Nations delegation when three FBI agents awakened him in his home; at least one agent had worked with Deripaska on the aborted effort to rescue Levinson. During an hour-long visit, the agents posited a theory that Trump’s campaign was secretly colluding with Russia to hijack the U.S. election.

“Deripaska laughed but realized, despite the joviality, that they were serious,” the lawyer said. “So he told them in his informed opinion the idea they were proposing was false. ‘You are trying to create something out of nothing,’ he told them.” The agents left though the FBI sought more information in 2017 from the Russian, sources tell me. Waldman declined to say if Deripaska has been in contact with the FBI since Sept, 2016.

So why care about some banished Russian oligarch’s account now?

Two reasons.

First, as the FBI prepared to get authority to surveil figures on Trump’s campaign team, did it disclose to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court that one of its past Russian sources waived them off the notion of Trump-Russia collusion?

Second, the U.S. government in April imposed sanctions on Deripaska, one of several prominent Russians targeted to punish Vladimir Putin — using the same sort of allegations that State used from 2006 to 2009. Yet, between those two episodes, Deripaska seemed good enough for the FBI to ask him to fund that multimillion-dollar rescue mission. And to seek his help on a sensitive political investigation. And to allow him into the country eight times.

I was alerted to Deripaska’s past FBI relationship by U.S. officials who wondered whether the Russian’s conspicuous absence from Mueller’s indictments might be related to his FBI work.

They aren’t the only ones.

Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz told me he believes Mueller has a conflict of interest because his FBI previously accepted financial help from a Russian that is, at the very least, a witness in the current probe.

“The real question becomes whether it was proper to leave [Deripaska] out of the Manafort indictment, and whether that omission was to avoid the kind of transparency that is really required by the law,” Dershowitz said.

Melanie Sloan, a former Clinton Justice Department lawyer and longtime ethics watchdog, told me a “far more significant issue” is whether the earlier FBI operation was even legal: “It’s possible the bureau’s arrangement with Mr. Deripaska violated the Antideficiency Act, which prohibits the government from accepting voluntary services.”

George Washington University constitutional law professor Jonathan Turley agreed: “If the operation with Deripaska contravened federal law, this figure could be viewed as a potential embarrassment for Mueller. The question is whether he could implicate Mueller in an impropriety.”

Now that sources have unmasked the Deripaska story, time will tell whether the courts, Justice, Congress or a defendant formally questions if Mueller is conflicted.
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 16, 2018, 07:37 PM

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...x-ehrat-590958
The general counsel for Swiss drugmaker Novartis has resigned, the company announced Wednesday, over his role in a consulting contract with President Donald Trump’s longtime personal attorney that has wrapped the company up in U.S. federal investigations.

Novartis’ CEO has previously acknowledged that “we made a mistake” in paying Trump attorney Michael Cohen $1.2 million as part of a yearlong contract aimed at understanding how the president might approach healthcare policy in the U.S. On Wednesday, Novartis general counsel Felix Ehrat said he would resign, effective next month.

Last week, AT&T announced that its top public policy official was retiring over the Cohen payment.
Totally normal for these guys to resign over above-board payments.

OGE recommends Trump's payment to Cohen get looked at by DOJ

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.e7706bd13dc8
Michael Cohen, President Trump’s personal attorney, solicited a payment of at least $1 million from the government of Qatar in late 2016, in exchange for access to and advice about the then-incoming administration, according to several people with knowledge of the episode.

The offer, which Qatar declined, came on the margins of a Dec. 12 meeting that year at Trump Tower between the Persian Gulf state’s foreign minister and Michael Flynn, who became Trump’s first national security adviser. Stephen K. Bannon, who became chief White House strategist, also attended, the people said.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 16, 2018, 07:40 PM

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...ancial-records
In the days since, there has been much speculation about who leaked the confidential documents, and the Treasury Department’s inspector general has launched a probe to find the source. That source, a law-enforcement official, is speaking publicly for the first time, to The New Yorker, to explain the motivation: the official had grown alarmed after being unable to find two important reports on Cohen’s financial activity in a government database. The official, worried that the information was being withheld from law enforcement, released the remaining documents.
The report also refers to two previous suspicious-activity reports, or sars, that the bank had filed, which documented even larger flows of questionable money into Cohen’s account. Those two reports detail more than three million dollars in additional transactions—triple the amount in the report released last week. Which individuals or corporations were involved remains a mystery. But, according to the official who leaked the report, these sars were absent from the database maintained by the Treasury Department’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, or fincen. The official, who has spent a career in law enforcement, told me, “I have never seen something pulled off the system. . . . That system is a safeguard for the bank. It’s a stockpile of information. When something’s not there that should be, I immediately became concerned.” The official added, “That’s why I came forward.”

Seven former government officials and other experts familiar with the Treasury Department’s fincen database expressed varying levels of concern about the missing reports. Some speculated that fincen may have restricted access to the reports due to the sensitivity of their content, which they said would be nearly unprecedented. One called the possibility “explosive.” A record-retention policy on fincen’s Web site notes that false documents or those “deemed highly sensitive” and “requiring strict limitations on access” may be transferred out of its master file. Nevertheless, a former prosecutor who spent years working with the fincen database said that she knew of no mechanism for restricting access to sars. She speculated that fincen may have taken the extraordinary step of restricting access “because of the highly sensitive nature of a potential investigation. It may be that someone reached out to fincen to ask to limit disclosure of certain sars related to an investigation, whether it was the special counsel or the Southern District of New York.”
So of the two logical options here, I'm going to go with Mueller locking up potentially explosive info from prying eyes over the Trump admin managing to delete incriminating info.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 18, 2018, 08:38 PM

So of the two logical options here, I'm going to go with Mueller locking up potentially explosive info from prying eyes over the Trump admin managing to delete incriminating info.
https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/s...82570742927361
ormer fed Chuck Rosenberg, speaking on @MSNBC, just said there are a number of legitimate reasons to remove SARS reports from the database, somewhat rebutting the claims in the New Yorker story. He noted Mueller likely has bank records far more detailed than the SARS.
Rather good point.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 30, 2018, 04:09 PM

Just realized why the RNC hasn't fired Cohen. He needs every $ he can get for legal fees.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 1, 2018, 10:13 PM

https://twitter.com/MichaelCohen212/...80058760540160
Spent Saturday afternoon with @GStephanopoulos @abc (not on camera) interview for Monday’s @GMA. My silence is broken!
Off camera interview for morning TV? Errrrrr...

andi*pandi
Jul 2, 2018, 12:54 PM

todays globe had cohen article "my family and country comes first"
which means
"I've learned Trump will throw me under the bus, so him first"

Thorzdad
Jul 2, 2018, 01:09 PM

Off camera interview for morning TV? Errrrrr...
Phoned-in from an undisclosed location?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2018, 01:14 PM

I wouldn’t get up that early to watch it, so I probably wouldn’t get up that early to go to it either.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2018, 01:19 PM

Has it been noted Cohen just looks like the world’s biggest ****in chump?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 2, 2018, 01:42 PM

Political reporters saying this is one last signal flare to Trump to start paying for his defense or pardon before he flips.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 24, 2018, 10:03 PM

Cohen's lawyer gave the first tape to CNN. I, uh, can't think of a metaphor for this.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 24, 2018, 11:10 PM

When the guy you claim gave you legal advice releases a tape he secretly recorded of one of his clients

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2018, 01:18 AM

7/5. Would womp again.

Thorzdad
Jul 25, 2018, 07:59 AM

Cohen's lawyer gave the first tape to CNN. I, uh, can't think of a metaphor for this.
Breakup video your girlfriend sends you from her new boyfriend's bedroom?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 25, 2018, 09:21 PM

Not a staggering number, but doesn't seem choosy, either.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 26, 2018, 09:03 AM

Is whatever state he's in a one-party-consent state?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 26, 2018, 09:37 AM

Yes, NY is. Dunno about D.C. Or if for any of these he was traveling with the campaign.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 26, 2018, 10:41 PM

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2018, 10:46 PM

I read “lessen legal troubles” as “you ****ing greaseball... where’s my pardon?”

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 26, 2018, 10:48 PM

Trump Organization Finance Chief Called to Testify Before Federal Grand Jury

This strikes me as something that should terrify Trump

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2018, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I read “lessen legal troubles” as “you ****ing greaseball... where’s my pardon?”

Translation: in hell, Judas!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 21, 2018, 04:55 PM

andi*pandi
Aug 21, 2018, 05:02 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 22, 2018, 07:04 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.5c85b502a9fc
President Trump’s former longtime attorney and his onetime campaign chairman were separately declared guilty Tuesday of eight crimes each, a dramatic collision of two investigations that intensified the legal and political pressure on the embattled president.
...and deputy RNC finance chair. Let's not forget that.

Earlier Tuesday, Cohen pleaded guilty to five counts of tax evasion, one count of making a false statement to a bank and two campaign finance violations: willfully causing an illegal corporate contribution and making an excessive campaign contribution.

“Guilty, your honor,” Cohen said eight times as Judge William H. Pauley III read the counts.

Cohen told the court that “in coordination with and at the direction of a candidate for federal office,” he and the chief executive of a media company worked in the summer of 2016 to keep an individual from publicly disclosing information that could harm the candidate. And he said he worked “in coordination” with the same candidate to make a payment to a second individual.

“I participated in this conduct . . . for the principal purpose of influencing the election,” he said
So our current president is an unindicted co-conspirator.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 23, 2018, 05:50 PM

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pecker-...ase-1535041976
David Pecker, the chief executive of the company that publishes the National Enquirer, was granted immunity by federal prosecutors for providing information about Michael Cohen and President Trump in the criminal investigation into hush-money payments for two women during the 2016 presidential campaign, according to people familiar with the matter.

In exchange for immunity, Mr. Pecker, the CEO of American Media, Inc. and a longtime friend of Mr. Trump, has met with prosecutors and shared details about payments Mr. Cohen arranged in an effort to silence the two women who alleged sexual encounters with Mr. Trump, including Mr. Trump’s knowledge of the deals, some of the people said.

andi*pandi
Aug 23, 2018, 05:54 PM

The make america kittens plugin is doing a great job, but seems confused by twitter screenshots and other texty things. Ah well. Kittens!

reader50
Administrator
Aug 23, 2018, 06:43 PM

David Pecker, the chief executive of the company that publishes the National Enquirer {...} and a longtime friend of Mr. Trump
After all those claims of Fake News, and bad mouthing the free press. Suddenly I'm wondering if Trump uses the National Enquirer as his baseline for quality news.

For those outside the USA, the National Enquirer is an alternative paper. Has stories about alien babies swapped in at birth, Elvis sightings, and probably how the Illuminati are still pulling all the strings. Fake National Enquirer issues were featured in the original Men In Black movie, for tracking alien activity in New York City.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 23, 2018, 07:22 PM

You could just call it a tabloid. I believe everyone is familiar with those.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 23, 2018, 07:46 PM

Apparently everyone is - including me. But for some reason, that word didn't come to mind. Annoying in retrospect.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 24, 2018, 10:58 AM

Trump organization CFO granted immunity per WSJ.

That's a really big one

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2018, 12:20 PM

Lanny Davis had Cohen plead to crimes that are not crimes. He most likely did so to avoid longer time on the tax charges. Trump could have paid 1000 women for their silence and it still would not be a FEC violation according to Levin. The goose has laid a lead egg.

45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 24, 2018, 02:43 PM

Chongo, you also forgot to bring up the talking point about how this has nothing to do with Russia - that's a very useful point being repeated over and over again by people that are trying to downplay the significance of what's happening.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 24, 2018, 03:31 PM

How do you plead to crimes that aren't crimes?

Can I plead to finding Pepsi delicious?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2018, 04:51 PM

How do you plead to crimes that aren't crimes?

Can I plead to finding Pepsi delicious?
Sure, and you can implicate your employer by saying they told you to drink it.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2018, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Chongo, you also forgot to bring up the talking point about how this has nothing to do with Russia - that's a very useful point being repeated over and over again by people that are trying to downplay the significance of what's happening.
Yeah, there is no evidence of collusion with Russia on the part of Trump, so they are straying from the mandate.

From 11/09/2016 on trying to impeach Trump for anything that occurred prior to taking office. Remember, even if Trump is removed, you get President Pence.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insider.../#5748d5e1491b

In 1873, when the House was considering the impeachment of Vice President Schuyler Colfax for allegedly fraudulent acts that occurred prior to his election, the House Judiciary Committee determined that impeachment under the Constitution “should only be applied to high crimes and misdemeanors committed while in office and which alone affect the officer in discharge of his duties.” Colfax, whose term was set to expire within weeks, was not impeached.

However, in 2010, District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana Judge Thomas Porteous was removed from office after he was found guilty on four articles of impeachment stemming from charges that he had accepted bribes, used a false name to elude creditors and intentionally misled the Senate during his confirmation hearings – all actions which occurred prior to his appointment to the federal bench. The issue of the timing of the misconduct appears never to have been raised during the Senate impeachment hearings. Arguably, a clear link existed between Porteous’s wrongdoing and his service as a federal officer. Nevertheless, no clear-cut answer lies as to whether a federal official can be impeached for past wrongs.
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2018, 05:27 PM

There it is!!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2018, 05:31 PM

Russian collusion?
45/47

reader50
Administrator
Aug 24, 2018, 05:32 PM

Lanny Davis had Cohen plead to crimes that are not crimes.
That doesn't make sense. Cohen pleaded guilty to 8 charges. I haven't been able to find the actual charges, but here are the summaries from Wikipedia (all sourced):

A) Five counts of tax evasion. (5 years of falsified tax returns, paying too little tax?)
B) One count of making false statements to a financial institution. (Probably overstating his income or assets to secure loans. This is fraud upon the bank, causing them to issue loans they might have declined.)
C) One count of willfully causing an unlawful corporate contribution. (not sure what this was)
D) One count of making an excessive campaign contribution at the request of a candidate or campaign for the "principal purpose of influencing [the] election. (paying off "someone" during the campaign, to help the outcome. If the campaign had done it, it would have to be disclosed in their financial filings. So Cohen did it on the side, and was reimbursed by Trump later, to keep it off the books. Evading the public disclosure laws. If you view it as a personal contribution by Cohen, then it would vastly exceed the individual contribution limit.)

Cohen is guilty of all 8 counts (he said so in court). Tax evasion is definitely a crime - try it, and see what happens. Lying to the bank to get loans, open accounts under another name, etc, are crimes. Try those too - I'll attempt to visit during your time inside, if you're anywhere nearby.

I'm not sure about C), but D) is also true. Stormy offered to return the money. I personally find it really hard to return tens of thousands of dollars, especially if I hadn't received it. But Stormy stated in court filings that she did receive it, and Cohen has plead guilty of paying it.

So at the least, 7 of the 8 counts are true, and crimes. If C) turned out to be BS, why did Cohen plead guilty to it? And how did a single charge turn into multiple "crimes that are not crimes"?

andi*pandi
Aug 24, 2018, 05:40 PM

Why would anyone drink Pepsi unless their boss told them to?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 24, 2018, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Why would anyone drink Pepsi unless their boss told them to?
(**** no caps)
BECAUSE ITS STERILE AND I LIKE THE TASTE

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 24, 2018, 05:52 PM

so they are straying from the mandate.
The mandate says Mueller's allowed to prosecute crimes that he may find during the investigation.

Also, this has nothing to do with the Mueller investigation. This is SDNY.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2018, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
D) One count of making an excessive campaign contribution at the request of a candidate or campaign for the "principal purpose of influencing [the] election. (paying off "someone" during the campaign, to help the outcome. If the campaign had done it, it would have to be disclosed in their financial filings. So Cohen did it on the side, and was reimbursed by Trump later, to keep it off the books. Evading the public disclosure laws. If you view it as a personal contribution by Cohen, then it would vastly exceed the individual contribution limit.)
45/47

andi*pandi
Aug 24, 2018, 07:09 PM

Isn't this like 3 threads you've posted this Hannity video to?

"clinton mob family"

ya no.

Forum Links
Forum Rules