Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > The "Picture Frame" Glossy Display Test

The "Picture Frame" Glossy Display Test
ghporter
Administrator
Sep 2, 2007, 07:32 PM

After seeing so many people post that they just "know" the glossy screen on the new iMac "won't work because of all the reflections," I have come up with a simple way to test out this conclusion.

Go to a hobby or arts and crafts store and buy an inexpensive picture frame-the kind that comes fully assembled and with glass in it. These inexpensive frames tend to have particularly shiny glass. While there, get a piece of black felt that will fit in the frame (or that you can cut to fit. Once you get home, open the back of the frame and put the felt (cut to fit) into the frame and button it up. Now put that frame where you might put an iMac. Sure, it's not the size of an iMac display (that sort of frame would be rather expensive for this sort of test) but you can get a decent-sized frame for less than $5. For example, this 8 X 10 frame through Hobby Lobby costs $3.99. It would give you a 12.8" diagonal "simulated screen" to test locations with. An 11 X 14 frame (much closer to the actual size of the 20" iMac screen) only costs $5.99.

I've been a scientist for so long that supposition just grates on me. Hopefully, a test like this will show some folks they were wrong-and give others something to go on when they say it won't work for them.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

idyll
Senior User
Sep 2, 2007, 08:10 PM

wow

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007, 09:47 AM

"Wow" it is that simple to actually test if there will be problems, or "wow, I can't believe someone posted something substantive."? As I said, I got tired of people with nothing to go on but a "feeling" saying the new iMac is crap because of its screen. Give it a try. See if you might have reflections in your chosen work location, and then how hard it isn't to eliminate those reflections with a tiny adjustment in angle.

jmichael
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2007, 10:22 AM

May sound simple, but the test works. I tried it with a picture about the same size as the 24" iMac. I had earlier spent time at an Apple store testing the actual product, and glare was not an issue for me there. Your test helped me confirm glare would also not be an issue for me in my office. Thanks.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2007, 05:33 PM

No one is interested in actually testing to see if the glossy will be a problem or be fantastic for them. They're too busy ranting about how glossy screens are the end of the world and you must be a blind drooling retard if you like them.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
No one is interested in actually testing to see if the glossy will be a problem or be fantastic for them. They're too busy ranting about how glossy screens are the end of the world and you must be a blind drooling retard if you like them.
i know i've posted a lot about the glossy screens here, without ANY of the attitude suggested above.
i went to the apple store twice, played with the new imacs.
even my salesman agreed with me: the glossy screen is not for everyone (not for me, not for him...)

if it works for you, go for it. if not, apple offers no matte option. as far as i can tell, THAT is the only real issue; not whether matte is better, or glossy sucks, or...anything juvenile.

this argument will not die (at least not on this forum, sigh...) but there's no winning point-of-view...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

idyll
Senior User
Sep 5, 2007, 09:51 PM

No, just wow about the fact that people rant so much that you had to do this. I think mduell has a point, that people are just ranting for the sake of ranting.. People will rant no matter what Apple does. Rarely can a huge group of people agree on one thing. And yeah, really, people should do a test like this if they are really worried and see that the glare isn't that bad at all.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by idyll View Post
No, just wow about the fact that people rant so much that you had to do this. I think mduell has a point, that people are just ranting for the sake of ranting.. People will rant no matter what Apple does. Rarely can a huge group of people agree on one thing. And yeah, really, people should do a test like this if they are really worried and see that the glare isn't that bad at all.
*see post just above this one...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Sep 6, 2007, 09:42 AM

idyll, thanks for clearing that up. I agree with mduell completely on this-it's become a "matter of faith" for so many people that they might not even take a new iMac if it was given to them. Their loss.

fisherKing, your posts have been about the most sensible of any in this whole screen discussion. Unfortunately, yours have been in the minority; see above.

jmichael, I'm glad this helped you. It also feels good to have at least someone take a logical approach to the issue. I'm glad I could be helpful.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2007, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
idyll, thanks for clearing that up. I agree with mduell completely on this-it's become a "matter of faith" for so many people that they might not even take a new iMac if it was given to them. Their loss.

fisherKing, your posts have been about the most sensible of any in this whole screen discussion. Unfortunately, yours have been in the minority; see above.

jmichael, I'm glad this helped you. It also feels good to have at least someone take a logical approach to the issue. I'm glad I could be helpful.
may be a minority viewpoint, but a valid one; there is a segment of macusers (graphics pros, video people, etc) who would prefer a matte screen and are being ignored by apple.

apple used to BE the company for the minority viewpoint, but has become the new sony (whether that is good or bad is, i guess, a matter of opinion).

am happy with my new mini, and (matte) LG monitor...

Forum Links
Forum Rules