Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Downloading Bills / Statements

Downloading Bills / Statements
chichow
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2008, 09:52 PM

Running Leopard.

I hate manually downloading all my bills /statements.

1) Is there some sort of easy macro automater that I use in OS X to do this?
2) Can I encrypt the script since I am guessing I will have to hardcode username passwords?

Thanks

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2008, 04:25 AM

Can you give us a bit more information? What sort of bills / statements, and where are you downloading them from?
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

OreoCookie
Aug 25, 2008, 05:40 AM

Huh? How do you download your receipts? Are they sent to you by mail? Do you have to download them once a month from some website?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

chichow  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2008, 12:19 PM

Say I get a bill from the electric company? I get the statement in the mail. But I can also go to the electric company website and download my statement.

What I want is a way to automate the downloading of statements.
Some way to just capture my input and mouse clicks on a website, so I can just automate the downloading of statements...does this make sense? rather than doing it manually...

wrambro
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2008, 01:46 PM

Sounds like a job for Quicken...

chichow  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2008, 05:00 PM

but quicken will just give me the amount, vs what's actually on the statement.

basically i just like to keep the pdfs instead of hardcopy

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2008, 11:31 PM

It would indeed be nice if there was a secure way to automate the collection of online bills and statements.
I doubt it will ever happen. The trend is for companies to offer online only billing/payment as a way to save on the cost of mailing and processing paper based bills.
With online bill presentment the labor costs are transfered onto the consumer, so we end up running from website to website just to collect, organize, and pay each merchant depending on how each system is set-up.
So many financial sites have implemented security theater such as 'secure sign-on' methods or access tokens which don't lend themselves to automated sign-on techniques (and which probably don't do much to thwart hackers since they will just choose a different avenue of attack).
As long as the companies are saving money they don't really care how easy or hard it is for us to get access to our statements.
Heck, if anything this just creates a new market for other service to charge us for.
Paytrust offers a service that receives your paper bills by mail and then scans them and make them available online, for a fee of course.
There is also Yodlee Money Center which is free, bit i'm not sure if it offers exactly what you are looking for. It aggregates information from your bank and other financial institutions, but I don't think it collects actual statements...

macwall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2008, 01:37 AM

quicken has pretty good integration with banks and credit card companies

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2008, 02:03 AM

This is provider-specific. In Canada, Canada Post has a service called ePost which allows you to get electronic copies of the bills companies send you. It becomes handy because all your bills are in the ePost inbox where you can view/print/download them at your convenience. However, not all companies offer this service.

Some companies also can send you PDF versions of the bills via e-mail (though this is quickly being abandoned due to security issues, after all). The only alternative would be to write automator/shell scripts to automate this job for you.

daybreak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2008, 08:37 PM

is there a way that I can automate all my work. Like just click a button and it all gets done? I'm tired of doing it manually.
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8ghz 8gb RAM
Penryn Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 2gb Ram
Academy of Art University

Forum Links
Forum Rules