Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > VNC/screen sharing to Ubuntu 10.04

VNC/screen sharing to Ubuntu 10.04
herbsman
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2010, 03:49 PM

Bizarre problem here. I have a ubuntu 10.04 (32bit) desktop that I am trying to VNC into for remote access with my mac. I can vnc fine, and the ubuntu desktop does appear in the screen-sharing window, but no matter what the screen is stuck and unresponsive. When I type things or try to move windows, nothing happens.

Now the really strange part is when I reconnected a display to the ubuntu box, the same windows that I try to move while on my mac are actually moving! So it is getting my keyboard strokes and mouse movement, only on the mac's screen sharing app doesn't indicate this.

I have tried the built-in os x screen sharing app and chicken of the vnc, and both are exhibiting the same problem.

Any ideas?

herbsman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2010, 08:11 PM

Couldn't find anything anywhere. I googled this nonstop but just found a bunch of irrelevant links.

However, problem resolved! I installed ubuntu 10.04 64bit :T

Yeah the issue wasn't really resolved, but it works now B-)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2010, 10:40 PM

If this happens again, if the machine is in the same physical vicinity you could use Synergy or X11 forwarding. I've never gotten a whole lot of love with VNC to other machines as far as keyboard mapping goes.

herbsman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2010, 10:01 PM

found the solution! or some other guy did. i'm not sure why i didn't find this earlier but this is the fix to the problem. enable 32 bit mode for the 'screen sharing' app and the problem goes away.

Snow Leopard Screen Sharing bug (white screen of doom) at DASMOTHERBOARD.COM

i actually ran into this problem again as my other ubuntu machine was having issues so i wiped and re-installed 32bit on accident and ran into the problem again. besson3c thanks for the tips but my linux machine is meant to be headless so synergy wasn't an ideal solution, and i wanted to google this one last time before trying the x11 solution.

Forum Links
Forum Rules