Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Playing PS Vita, anyone?

Playing PS Vita, anyone?
HamSandwich
Mar 9, 2014, 03:13 PM

Hey,

thinking about getting a PS Vita. Good idea?

I read about Tearawyay, sounds fun. Anything else, what should I get? What to avoid?

Greetings,
Pete

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2014, 03:21 PM

Sorry Pete, Vita is a dead horse.

HamSandwich
Mar 10, 2014, 01:18 PM

Oi. Liked it somehow. Could be true, though.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 10, 2014, 01:33 PM

I want one for Borderlands 2. Love that freaking game.

ibook_steve
Mar 10, 2014, 03:27 PM

I'm currently going through AC: Liberation. Not a bad game though the graphics are a bit "janky."

I have Tearaway and I've started going through it, but I think it's been a bit overrated. It just seems like a standard 3D platformer with my face on the sun so far.

My Vita playtime is significantly less than my 3DS mostly due to the ridiculous cost of the memory cards.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2014, 11:27 AM

Okay, no... Vita is actually not dead. There are some incredible games. I haven't played Tearaway yet, but I'm looking forward to starting it when it inevitably goes on sale.

My Vita favorites:

Persona 4: The Golden
If you like JRPGs, then you'll easily get 100 hours of value from this game. The Japanese high school setting seems strange, and actually kept me from picking up the game at first, but the battle system, social rankings, and strategies give this game tremendous legs. It's the #1-ranked Vita game for a reason.

Lumines: Electric Symphony
If you're old enough to remember how Tetris basically sold the Original Gameboy almost single-handedly, then you'll know why Lumines is still PlayStation's portable puzzle king.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss
It's not up to the level of its console brethren, but still a great title, especially considering that it's portable.

OlliOlli
This one is pretty new, but it's the most addictive skateboarding game I've played since Tony Hawk 2. I know that might not sound like a lot, but I'm telling you, this game is fantastic. It's also coming out for PS3 and PS4.

Super Stardust Delta
Made by the guys responsible for the PS4's best launch title, Resogun.

Speaking of which, perhaps the Vita's greatest strength is the cross-buy feature that allows you to buy games across multiple systems in a single purchase. Here are the games that are also available on other Sony systems that are worth the buy:

- Guacamelee! (I can't recommend this game enough)
- Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
- Thomas Was Alone
- Rayman Legends
- Rayman Origins
- LIMBO
- Sound Shapes
- Terreria
- Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
- Final Fantasy X / X2 HD Remaster
- The Walking Dead: Season One
- Spelunky
- Retro City Rampage

Another point: any original PlayStation games that you buy on PSN are playable on the Vita. Taking up space on my memory card at the moment:
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
- Final Fantasy VII
- Final Fantasy IX
- Chrono Trigger
- Final Fantasy Tactics
- Metal Gear Solid

Other Vita titles I hope to check out:
- Soul Sacrifice
- Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2014, 09:05 PM

You should add Toukiden and Dragon's Crown to that list as well. With Dragons Crown you can even cross play with PS3 users.

Forum Links
Forum Rules