Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Macintosh LC

Macintosh LC
macjhlc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2004, 06:38 PM

Hello everyone, New here.
My name is Josh and Im not new to Macs, but not an expert yet.
The day before I went to a thrift shop and picked up a Macintosh LC and a color Mac monitor, both untested. It turned out the monitor was completly fine. The LC however had a dead power supply. (turning it on cause a small fire in the back of the PSU) Luckly the computer itself wasent damaged, (Only the PSU) Being the smart person I am with computers I rigged a AT power supply from an old AT PC case to work with the LC. On the first try the LC powered on a booted to some ancient MacOS 6.x or so. My friend is a Mac fan, and owns a new Powerbook or Ibook. He is pretty sure that Mac OS 7.5.3 can run on the LC. I downloaded the 7.5 Network Access boot disk. and Popped it into the LC, and it booted up. Now - how do I get the MacOS 7.5.3 disk images from Apple's website to the LC. (it has no SCSI port for connecting a SCSI CDROM) and until I get 7.5.3 on the LC Network support will be impossible (the NIC card/modem works only in 7.5 and above) Can I format the HDD and copy the contents of the boot floppy to the HDD? Then copy all the 7.5.3 disk images to floppies?

--Josh

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2004, 10:16 PM

Can I format the HDD and copy the contents of the boot floppy to the HDD? Then copy all the 7.5.3 disk images to floppies?
I believe you can.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

macjhlc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2004, 11:27 PM

Do MacOS versions 7.0.1 and earlier have the option to enable color? I know the LC is color, and my monitor is color too, but it's black and white.

-- Josh

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2004, 02:46 AM

My LC came with 6.0.7 and it was of course driving its Apple 12" color monitor (which is still functional btw). And the LC definitely does have SCSI. But I frankly don't know what you'd want with an LC. Mine served me well, but that was about 14 years ago now. Also, since the LC has a maximum RAM capacity of 10MBs, I don't think it's advisable to run 7.5 on it. 7.1 was the sweet spot.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

macjhlc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2004, 11:08 AM

I understand what your saying "why would I want an LC?" However I used an Amiga 1000 computer as my main computer from 1991 to about 1998. So I'm used to computers of the same type. I prefere older computers (especially Macs and Amigas) over Micro$uck based PC's of today. When ever I have the chance to pick up an older Mac or Amiga I take that opportunity. Anyways, Thanks for the info.

-- Josh

Forum Links
Forum Rules