Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Your Disk Cannot Be Prtitioned Because Some Files Cannot Be Moved

Your Disk Cannot Be Prtitioned Because Some Files Cannot Be Moved
JamesRedwood
Jan 3, 2007, 05:06 PM

I get the following error when trying to install BootCamp:

Your Disk Cannot Be Prtitioned Because Some Files Cannot Be Moved
Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format the disk as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

Ideas?

Weezer
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2007, 05:40 PM

the common suggestion is to remove your parallels HD if you have it on there. I get the same error, and no matter what I've done, I cant get rid of it. 60 gigs free, no parallels, just rebuilt my disk with diskwarrior, and I still get the damn error.

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

wingdo
Senior User
Jan 3, 2007, 06:04 PM

If you have an external HD you can use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to create a mirror of your internal drive boot off that, verify everything still works and then reformat your internal drive and then run CCC to put everything back on your internal drive.
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

djdeuce2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2007, 07:13 AM

is there a way to do this without formatin my whole damn driving i just spent weeks installing everything and i dont want to have to redo it all

Weezer
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2007, 11:37 AM

you can try idefrag, but some people have reported hosing your drive with it... YMMV

djdeuce2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2007, 01:58 AM

so no one has been able to fix this yet... errr im getting stressed

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 28, 2007, 01:13 PM

Have you actually tried following the specific instructions Boot Camp gave? What were the results/error messages?

I had an error message (not this one, but another that required using Disk Utility to fix) and following the instructions Boot Camp gave me fixed it. I had to run Disk Utility (FROM THE OS X INSTALL DVD) to repair the start up disk before Boot Camp would partition the drive. After that it was smooth as glass.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2007, 09:08 PM

I'm getting the same message. I wish it would tell me which file could not be moved.

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Have you actually tried following the specific instructions Boot Camp gave? What were the results/error messages?

I had an error message (not this one, but another that required using Disk Utility to fix) and following the instructions Boot Camp gave me fixed it. I had to run Disk Utility (FROM THE OS X INSTALL DVD) to repair the start up disk before Boot Camp would partition the drive. After that it was smooth as glass.
I can't figure out how to get into the Disk utility on the DVD.
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 2, 2007, 09:21 AM

It's simple. Once the DVD loads, you'll have a toolbar at the top of the screen with "Tools" in it. DU is one of those tools. Click and go!

Check back with us and let us know how it goes.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2007, 01:18 PM

didn't work for me

but I also didn't find it the way you said.. when I put in Disk 1, it launched a finder window, so I clicked on applications and then utilities, then DU. (I don't think it was creating alias'. )

What it suggests is to back up, format the harddrive, and then restore... but I am not going to do that. to much risk involved. any other tips?

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2007, 01:23 PM

Here is everything I am getting.. (and showing the utilities folder...

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2007, 01:44 PM

okay, so an offical answer..

I figured out what you were talking about, and booted into the OS X installer, clicked utilties, and then clicked DU, and then clicked repair disk (not repair permissions)

but it came back saying nothing needed to be repaired... and boot camp still doesn't work.

I also tried booting into "safe boot", which I assumed would be a lot like safe mode in XP (God mode basically) but it didn't change anything.. it still was restricted by permissions.

bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2007, 02:27 PM

I had the same problem. Weezer told you the answer. There are files on the disk that OSX can't move to make the new partition and booting from the DVD and running disk util will not defrag the disk to fix this.

ANSWER: YOU HAVE TO DEFRAG THE DISK! I used iDefrag then bootcamp worked great. I remember finding an Apple faq about this that says the same thing but there fix is to clone the drive then clone it back, thus defraging it.

On a side note, it actually doesn't have anything to do with fragmentation. It has to do with compacting the disk so that no files are on the outer sectors of the drive. You could have a 100% no fragmented file system but still have gaps between data and data on the outer sectors of the disk. They need to be moved to the inside of the disk. Boot camp will usually do this for you but the problem is if a system file, swap or something can't can't be moved while the OS is running is out there it can't be moved.. thus the error.

Have a nice day,
Bart
Powermac Sawtooth w/ 1.3ghz overclocked GigaDesigns 1ghz cpu
iBook G3-900

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2007, 02:20 AM

Thanks for the reply, do you know of any shareware/freeware defragger? I do not want to spend 30 bucks on a peice of software iwill only use once.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2007, 04:58 PM

There is freeware that you can use to clone your HD to another drive, erase your current drive, and then clone it back on. That will effectively defrag your HD, but you need 2 drives to do it.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2007, 05:03 PM

BTW: here are some cloning apps:

Carbon Copy Cloner 2.3 - MacUpdate

SuperDuper! 2.1.3 - MacUpdate

I'd probably use super duper, because its universal and has been more actively updated over the years. Its shareware, but you can clone a drive for free.

Pilkas_vilkas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by bartman00 View Post
I had the same problem. Weezer told you the answer. There are files on the disk that OSX can't move to make the new partition and booting from the DVD and running disk util will not defrag the disk to fix this.

ANSWER: YOU HAVE TO DEFRAG THE DISK! I used iDefrag then bootcamp worked great. I remember finding an Apple faq about this that says the same thing but there fix is to clone the drive then clone it back, thus defraging it.

On a side note, it actually doesn't have anything to do with fragmentation. It has to do with compacting the disk so that no files are on the outer sectors of the drive. You could have a 100% no fragmented file system but still have gaps between data and data on the outer sectors of the disk. They need to be moved to the inside of the disk. Boot camp will usually do this for you but the problem is if a system file, swap or something can't can't be moved while the OS is running is out there it can't be moved.. thus the error.

Have a nice day,
Bart
Strange, but it didn't help. I used iDefrag in the Quick mode (it didn't let me use any one algorithm else), then tried again to run Boot Camp and still I got the same error.
In an other forum I was advised to cliear up 30% of my HDD, but it did not help either. So I don't advise you to delete your movies as I did

Could anything else be done? I'm keeping the reinstall of my system as my last choice. And will it definitely help?

Forum Links
Forum Rules