Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Startup disk is almost full

Startup disk is almost full
sayyruhh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2008, 07:51 PM

I've been getting the message that my startup disk is almost full a lot recently. I keep deleting files, but it keeps saying that. I guess i'm not deleting enough stuff. I've gotten to the point where i don't know what to delete anymore, because I use pretty much all of the applications on my computer. Is there anything that I am missing that I could delete that takes up too much space? Help! Thank you!

timmerk
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2008, 08:50 PM

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2008, 09:01 PM

Check out OmniDiskSweeper to figure out what's taking up most of your space. It's a shareware program, but even if you don't want to pay, it will still tell you where the big files are — the only difference is that you have to delete them yourself.

Also, I would recommend getting a good-sized external hard drive. That way you can store much more data without having to worry about your startup disk becoming too full.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Gavin
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2008, 12:56 AM

I find a fully loaded OS X takes about 20GB once it gets rolling with virtual memory, caches, log files, and application support files.

You can usually clear up some quick space by dumping some caches, especially the Quicktime cache.
Look in the Caches folder inside your Library folder. You can safely delete the contents of most of the subfolders.

/Users/you/Library/Caches/QuickTime delete the downloads folder inside this folder.

Also if you have iLife installed that takes up a huge amount of space with themes and audio loops, etc. Several GB. Look in the /Library/Application Support folder. Zapping things from this folder may cause problems with your software!!! But if you are never going to use the Sunflower theme from iDVD you can free up some space by deleting the file. /Library/Application\ Support/iDVD/Themes/iDVD\ 7/Sunflower-Main.theme , etc.

Finally the language translations inside your applications can take up lots of room. Chances are you will not run iTunes in Dutch or Polish so you can get rid of them. go here http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2008, 03:29 AM

What Size? is also great for seeing how much space files are taking up on your drive. It used to be free but it's $12.99 now. Works great though. http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize/

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2008, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
What Size? is also great for seeing how much space files are taking up on your drive. It used to be free but it's $12.99 now. Works great though. http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize/
It was great when it was free but not that it isn't I use omnidisk sweeper since the free portion of that allows you to scan the drive (just not delete within the app)

Additionally the changes that were made to what size made it take a step back in usability imo.
~Mike

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2008, 08:53 AM

Use GrandPerspective to see a visual representation of your HD and find where all your space is going.

http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net/

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2008, 10:15 PM

Monolingual is a program for removing unnecessary language resources from Mac OS X, in order to reclaim several hundred megabytes, or more, of disk space:

http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2008, 08:55 PM

You know, I meant to post this a few days ago but I tried that out and it's awesome. It's a great replacement for the discontinued DeLocalizer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules