Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > They are out�

They are out�
asmujica
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2002, 09:43 AM

Guys, the new powerbook and ibook are out on the apple website. Go see...

zankoku
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2002, 10:56 AM

1Ghz TiBook WITH SuperDrive AND Radeon 9000 graphics?!?! I guess this is all (many of us) could have wished for!

El Pre$idente
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 11:02 AM

That's great. I paid �2700 UK for a Powerbook 800 only 4 weeks ago expecting Apple was going to only going to make a small upgrade and still keep prices high. Now the Powerbook 867 is �1900 and faster in every possible way.

Apple is the worst offender at this kind of thing in the business.

t_hah
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2002, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by El Pre$idente:
That's great. I paid �2700 UK for a Powerbook 800 only 4 weeks ago expecting Apple was going to only going to make a small upgrade and still keep prices high. Now the Powerbook 867 is �1900 and faster in every possible way.

Apple is the worst offender at this kind of thing in the business.
I am sorry about how you feel, but why do you really feel that way again? What you are trying to say is that if you buy a PowerBook then Apple should not upgrade their line, because you will feel bad? I do not think so, and you probably do not either. I have an 800 DVI, and I love it. If is fast enough, runs Jaguar like a dream. Maybe in a year I will upgrade.

Apple's move was awsome. People were complaining about price and performance. Now they fixed both. This is how you do good business.

I guess my suggestion to you, is not to ever buy a car.

t

El Pre$idente
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by t_hah:

I am sorry about how you feel, but why do you really feel that way again? What you are trying to say is that if you buy a PowerBook then Apple should not upgrade their line, because you will feel bad? I do not think so, and you probably do not either. I have an 800 DVI, and I love it. If is fast enough, runs Jaguar like a dream. Maybe in a year I will upgrade.

Apple's move was awsome. People were complaining about price and performance. Now they fixed both. This is how you do good business.

I guess my suggestion to you, is not to ever buy a car.

t
It's an awesome computer, fine. I'm also happy with my own Powerbook even though the combo drive is acting stupid.

But with other system builders we know what to expect in terms of upgrades and when to expect it and what prices to expect machines to be. With Apple, they sit on their specs and prices and every 6 months they fvck people who just recently bought machines.

They should at least have the courage to introduce price reductions way before an upgrade. I've made up my mind and I'm simply not going to pay the rest that I owe on my Powerbook. Fvck them if they can't look after me as a consumer.

cwasko
Senior User
Nov 6, 2002, 11:29 AM

It's an awesome computer, fine. I'm also happy with my own Powerbook even though the combo drive is acting stupid.

But with other system builders we know what to expect in terms of upgrades and when to expect it and what prices to expect machines to be. With Apple, they sit on their specs and prices and every 6 months they fvck people who just recently bought machines.

They should at least have the courage to introduce price reductions way before an upgrade. I've made up my mind and I'm simply not going to pay the rest that I owe on my Powerbook. Fvck them if they can't look after me as a consumer.
Well, if you know that "every 6 months" apple is going to rev the line, then why in gods green earth did you buy one a month ago? You purchased a computer right near the time in which most of the educated world knew that Apple was going to release something new and now you are PO'd at Apple? You need to get a grip on reality.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2002, 11:34 AM

cwasko is right, El!

You've still got the great Ti that you were happy with yesterday, so be happy with what you've been joyfully using for the last month!

I'm ordering one of the 1 Gig Ti's this morning, realizing that something great will debut at MWSF, or shortly thereafter (faster Superdrive, faster CPU, built-in Bluetooth, faster/larger harddrives, etc., etc., etc.) But I'll be happy with this Ti, knowing that it's everything I've been waiting for! (At least for another 1-2 years, when I'll upgrade again!!)

iBorg

rm199
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2002, 11:35 AM

i have to agree with the presidente - yes we all knew a HW update was coming, yes the potential was there for it to be a big one, but right up until yesterday the old pricing was still in use. This is the sort of thing that would have bricks thrown through shop windows. True Lies (tm)

Im not miffed in the slightest that i recently bought a dvi667 - my new challange is to sell it and buy the new one. Whats annoying is that this strategy does burn people that shelled out a major premium recently.

RM

cwasko
Senior User
Nov 6, 2002, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by rm199:
i have to agree with the presidente - yes we all knew a HW update was coming, yes the potential was there for it to be a big one, but right up until yesterday the old pricing was still in use. This is the sort of thing that would have bricks thrown through shop windows. True Lies (tm)

Im not miffed in the slightest that i recently bought a dvi667 - my new challange is to sell it and buy the new one. Whats annoying is that this strategy does burn people that shelled out a major premium recently.

RM
Thats why in the Apple world, it is ever more important to know when things are going to be released. This way you either buy the new introduced equipiment, or you buy the old stuff that was *just* replaced. When I buy, I buy it when its just released. If I can't afford what I want within a month of its release, I wait for the next increment.

El Pre$idente
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 11:45 AM

RM
And the value of the 667 and 800DVI have just plummeted because of the way Apple operates. I'd be lucky to get �1500UK now that the lowe end 867 is better than the 800 in a few ways. That's a heavy loss that I'm not going to take and that's why I'm simply not paying my deposits anymore. Fvck them. I'm moving from this country in a month anyway.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2002, 11:45 AM

Whats annoying is that this strategy does burn people that shelled out a major premium recently.
I know how that feels, too - I quickly bought a first generation Wallstreet 292 in 1998 (2 weeks before the "PDQ" Wallstreet came with better video chip and larger HD), and first generation Pismo in 2000 (again, a few weeks before rev. 2 came with larger HD and brighter screen).

But each time, I got the same great machine that I fervently wanted, and I realize that every computer I will ever buy will be superceded by "the next great thing" within a short time.

iBorg

El Pre$idente
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by iBorg:

I know how that feels, too - I quickly bought a first generation Wallstreet 292 in 1998 (2 weeks before the "PDQ" Wallstreet came with better video chip and larger HD), and first generation Pismo in 2000 (again, a few weeks before rev. 2 came with larger HD and brighter screen).

But each time, I got the same great machine that I fervently wanted, and I realize that every computer I will ever buy will be superceded by "the next great thing" within a short time.

iBorg
In the PC market you know what to expect. The increments are monthly and you know how long to hold off before upgrading. The prices are cheaper too.

I'm still going to do a Winona and teach them a lesson for this one.

losta
Nov 6, 2002, 12:01 PM

Perfect! Just what I was waiting for I'm ordering the SuperDrive model and selling my iBook!
Thanks in advance.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2002, 12:02 PM

I'm still going to do a Winona and teach them a lesson for this one.

You're gonna wear a "see-through" dress to court???

iBorg

rm199
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2002, 12:09 PM

Dont get me wrong i love technology upgrades, but radical pricing changes has knock on effects especially on resale value.

Hey at the end of the day you cant make everyone happy - someone always get the short end of the stick.

All I know is that I'm bying this new one next time im in the US and the 667 is on the market as of today

RM

El Pre$idente
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 12:23 PM

You're gonna wear a "see-through" dress to court???

iBorg
I saw that dress! She was HOT! She's my queen. Can we have a Winona forum?

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2002, 12:25 PM

People are never happy. First you complain it is too expensive. Then when the price drops the resale value of old computers drop... Can't have both!

El Pre$idente
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by proux:
People are never happy. First you complain it is too expensive. Then when the price drops the resale value of old computers drop... Can't have both!
I don't give a sh-it now. Someone has just reminded me there are more beautiful things in life and they have vaginas.

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2002, 12:33 PM

For a minute I was upset at the drop in price because my 667 wouldn't be worth as much when I came to sell it. Then I realised the only reason I'd sell it was to buy a new one, and the new one will be cheaper, so I don't loose anything!

I think I'll skip this revision and wait for the next lot though.

-mrwalker

rm199
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2002, 12:39 PM

im over the moon actually, i was about to get a dualie (the dvi667 just isnt running games well at 1600x1200) this might be the answer until a doom3 capable dualie comes out.

All I'm saying is that most other premium product vendors dont crash resale prices for their client base.

RM

euphras
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2002, 04:10 PM

That�s the normal way when you buy a computer. In Germany we say:" Go buy it and then don�t look at computer advertisements for at least 1/2 year!"

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2002, 04:20 PM

I'm ordering one of the 1 Gig Ti's this morning, realizing that something great will debut at MWSF, or shortly thereafter (faster Superdrive, faster CPU, built-in Bluetooth, faster/larger harddrives, etc., etc., etc.) But I'll be happy with this Ti, knowing that it's everything I've been waiting for! (At least for another 1-2 years, when I'll upgrade again!!)
When is MWSF again? I thought someone said January. Would they release another update so soon?? I'm thinking about giving Apple another chance with their Tibooks but can't afford another one until end of January when my scholarship money comes in. I for one definitely think this is a great update but would really like bluetooth and 5400 HDs. Would also like to know the paint and heat problems has been fixed. As for the superdrive.. eh... I could take it or leave it.

Once again, the updates are great... not complaining so no one start b*tching at me
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2002, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by DigitalDNA:

When is MWSF again? I thought someone said January. Would they release another update so soon?? I'm thinking about giving Apple another chance with their Tibooks but can't afford another one until end of January when my scholarship money comes in. I for one definitely think this is a great update but would really like bluetooth and 5400 HDs. Would also like to know the paint and heat problems has been fixed. As for the superdrive.. eh... I could take it or leave it.

Once again, the updates are great... not complaining so no one start b*tching at me
Early January. There will be no updates to the powerbook in early January. I am amazed that there are still people who think there will be a dramatic upgrade in January less than two months after this dramatic upgrade.

jcjr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2002, 04:55 PM

I saw that dress! She was HOT! She's my queen. Can we have a Winona forum?
anyone have a link to a pic of this dress??

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 6, 2002, 05:33 PM

Yeah, I would imagine there would be at least six months to a new version, and they we are hopefully looking at a whole new design.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2002, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Yeah, I would imagine there would be at least six months to a new version, and they we are hopefully looking at a whole new design.
at the present time, im waying my options on getting a new PB or wait til the next design or release. my problem is do i want a new laptop every 6 months or so. most likely cant afford it. eeheh
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

El Pre$idente
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by jcjr:

anyone have a link to a pic of this dress??
Fvck off. She's mine.

DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2002, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Well thats kind of what I would expect. I guess I'll wait and see how everyone else likes the new Tibooks. I just can't see spending money on another one if they are still plagued by paint, heat, and poor airport reception problems. No bluetooth and HD speeds dropping to 4200 are the least of my concerns. If the fixed the others, I would be more than happy to give Apple the benefit of the doubt a second time around.
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

Forum Links
Forum Rules