Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you Blog?

Do you Blog?
MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2004, 11:18 AM

So, I was wondering how many of you actually blog. If so, why, and what?

Such as, I keep a weblog to let my friends and family know what I'm up to while at college and now, what I'm doing in Japan. I also keep a photoblog for no real reason other then to show off cute photos me of. My Linkblog is just a venue to show off odd links I found, usually off other linkblogs.

http://www.joshuazimmerman.com

Then again, who here think blogs are just loads of sh*t? Some sort of online self masturbation. Do tell.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2004, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
Then again, who here think blogs are just loads of sh*t? Some sort of online self masturbation. Do tell.
Yes*. Except when you're letting friends and family afar know how you're getting on.

* yes, blogging is loads of sh*t.
( Last edited by Sherwin; Nov 22, 2004 at 11:40 AM. )

Aiglos
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2004, 11:36 AM

Nope.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 22, 2004, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Yes. Except when you're letting friends and family afar know how you're getting on.
That's pretty much what my two are (one in Danish for family and friends at home, one in English for friends in other places).

Although I would say in my case "blogging" is a gross exaggeration. I'm lucky if I can get my act together enough to make one entry a month these days... I originally made the blogs so I wouldn't have to write mails home, because I absolutely suck at writing mails home - but it turns out I'm just as bad with blogging... *sigh*

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Nov 22, 2004, 11:44 AM

My blog: Everything Apple

A recent entry: Dual G5 2.4 GHz PCI Express nForce4 blade announced

Continuous Computing Corporation has announced a dual G5 blade server which uses Apple's U3H Northbridge (aka IBM CPC925) controller. This server is called the LINUXbladePPC20A.

The design supports dual G5 PowerPC 970FX 2.4 GHz CPUs, a 1 GHz HyperTransport bus, PCI Express, and up to 8 GB DDR400 ECC memory, all in a blade server form factor with a total maximum power utilization of under 200 Watts.

This represents the first G5 board available which supports the new PCI Express interface, and it uses the nVidia nForce4 chipset popular on the PC side. Apple does not yet support PCI Express, but one might suspect they will adopt it in 2005.

It's also nice to see that the cramped blade design can handle 970FX CPUs of up to 2.4 GHz. Apple has built 2.3 GHz Xserves for Virginia Tech, but they are a custom configuration not (yet) available to the general public, and they are used with specialized cooling equipment.

ie. I don't bother with blogs about myself. Apple stuff is much more interesting. I post every few days, and sometimes more than once a day.

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2004, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
That's pretty much what my two are (one in Danish for family and friends at home, one in English for friends in other places).

Although I would say in my case "blogging" is a gross exaggeration. I'm lucky if I can get my act together enough to make one entry a month these days... I originally made the blogs so I wouldn't have to write mails home, because I absolutely suck at writing mails home - but it turns out I'm just as bad with blogging... *sigh*
Yeah, I set up blogs for a bunch of my friends. I believe 9 in all. Its been about 8 months and only 2 of us actually post any more. Some people don't care to blog, other people just have their parents read my blog to find out what they're doing. I hate my life.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2004, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
Nothing in Chinese?

Some (most?) of you reading this may know of Faye Wong, a Chinese singer. She�s very good; a little like Bj�rk sometimes, but still Chinese.

She's about the only Chinese pop star whose music I have the least bit of interest in. I also like Bj�rk, despite how out-of-it she seems most of the time.

P.S. I just ordered the 2046 DVD, which stars Faye Wong.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2004, 12:15 PM

No, I don't blog. Mine is kept on my Mac only.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2004, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Nothing in Chinese?
Japanese? ????

(I guess MacNN doesn't do Japanese characters)

hayesk
Nov 22, 2004, 12:19 PM

Before the Internet did people paste their diary pages to telephone poles? I'm just curious as to why people think the world cares what they have to say?

sideus
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2004, 12:20 PM

Don't blog and don't read them. I don't need to know about Jackie and how she spilled her strawberry ice cream cone on the cute guy she has a crush on and which she now feels like a clutz.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2004, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
Before the Internet did people paste their diary pages to telephone poles? I'm just curious as to why people think the world cares what they have to say?
They care about as much about blogs as they do about cranky posts in MacNN forums.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 22, 2004, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Nothing in Chinese?
Hehe... no, not at the moment. Maybe after I go back, I'll make one in Chinese for the friends I have here, but for now, I can just talk to them face to face...

Some (most?) of you reading this may know of Faye Wong, a Chinese singer. She�s very good; a little like Bj�rk sometimes, but still Chinese.
She's about the only Chinese pop star whose music I have the least bit of interest in. I also like Bj�rk, despite how out-of-it she seems most of the time.

P.S. I just ordered the 2046 DVD, which stars Faye Wong.
Yup, she's pretty much the only one I listen to as well (of the Chinese pop scene, that is). Chinese music with obvious influences from both Bj�rk, Tori Amos and the Cranberries (all of whom I love) is an interesting mix to me.

I haven't seen 2046 yet... Another movie I should get my ass together and watch. I mean, it's not like we don't have no less than two copies of it lying around in the flat...

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 22, 2004, 12:38 PM

(I guess MacNN doesn't do Japanese characters)
MacNN has nothing against Japanese, works fine (as long as everybody uses the same character encoding, which can be done easily by everybody setting it to "automatic selection").

Proof: 私の名まえわオイシニ。(Yeah, I have no idea if I wrote that right or wrong, it was a pure guess at the grammar and mixture of Kanji/Hiragana/Katakana, and I had to spend a few minutes figuring out how the Japanese input system works first... But right or wrong, it still shows that Japanese works just fine on MacNN!)

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2004, 12:39 PM

mike.cosentino.name

i have had the domain for a while and never really had all that much to put on there, besides some drawings, and flash work i do once in a while.

i then started posting blog entries. it is mostly for my friends and family (stray people come across it once in a while). what i have been up to and pretty much stuff i find interesting that i think others might want to read.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2004, 01:24 PM

Hell no !

-t

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2004, 02:12 PM

No, to make it worth anything it would be too personal for the internet. Making it less personal would turn it into one of a the million cruddy blogs no one reads.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2004, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
Who cares what William Shakespeare has to say. Or T.S. Elliot for that matter.

It's not what they have to say � it's how they say it. I read this one blog which is utterly hilarious. Bloggers are essentially writers. Sometimes you run across a blogger/writer who you find entertaining.

Isn't that the same reason I stay here at MacNN? I read this crap because I find it entertaining.

A blog works the same way.

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2004, 04:16 PM

Blog? Me? No.

Not a blog per se, but see 'Gibor' link in sig, if you care. Started it in high school, now it's just sitting there, really.

benandkelley
Nov 22, 2004, 05:11 PM

nope. don't blog. got better ways to spend my time.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2004, 05:14 PM

Yes... on xanga.com

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 07:58 AM

Well, if you ever find yourself with a lot of free time you could spend it looking at sex blogs. I don't know how my friend found them, but he once directed me to a bunch of blog devoted to people's dumb sex lives.

Before blogs people just complained to other geeks via online forums. oh wait...

?????????Lets see if this actually shows up as Japanese this time. That or MacNN hates me.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2004, 09:48 AM

?????????Lets see if this actually shows up as Japanese this time. That or MacNN hates me.
I'm guessing the latter.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2004, 10:12 AM

I photoblog. I tried to blog about design for a while, but I really liked the idea of just showing off things in the world around me.

-Link in my sig.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2004, 11:27 AM

I blog. I whore for my blog in my sig.

Taloston Man
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2004, 12:25 AM

Yesh.

http://www.ExposedBrain.com

It's a collective... myself, a room-mate, and friend of ours.
I primarily write in a day-by-day journalistic fashion, with the occasional interludeshift into ideological self-examination, and [visual] artistic presentation. It's something of a tool for keeping personal record, giving others a taste of what's afoot, and further developing my skills as both an articulator and a writer [creative, or otherwise... if there is such a thing].
Trevor Haldenby
www.ExposedBrain.com/trevor
MacBook 2.0 GHz / 2 gigs RAM | 60GB vidiPod, Shuffle

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 12:33 AM

i have a xanga blog that i post personal/boring stuff on. not many people read that one, except for my school friends now dispersed far and wide. then you have my site (see sig) where i post up whatever i shoot photos of. it gets random visitors, since i post photos in various places on the web with links "back home".

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
I blog. I whore for my blog in my sig.
Don't we all though?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2004, 10:49 AM

The problem isn't MacNN. The problem is that Safari doesn't handle the text encodings intelligently. If you manually choose something like UTF-8 on the reply editing page, then the text will show up in the thread correctly, provided your browser then correctly guesses UTF-8 to be the correct encoding. That's hit-or-miss at best.

Right now, the best solution seems to be using Firefox, which automatically converts the characters into HTML entities. They show up correctly regardless of the encoding. You can also use a service provided by the app UnicodeChecker in Safari via the Services menu to achieve the same result.

Back on topic: I've been keeping a blog, also in order to let my friends and family keep up with my activities in Japan. What software do you guys use? I've been using NanoBlogger, and find it pretty convenient.
( Last edited by wataru; Nov 24, 2004 at 12:03 PM. )

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2004, 07:39 PM

Publisher: 'Blog' No. 1 word of the year

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/interne...eut/index.html

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2004, 08:48 PM

rarely and badly

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2004, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
Publisher: 'Blog' No. 1 word of the year

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/interne...eut/index.html
peloton was #7

good word

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 09:58 PM

I used to blog with stories, etc, but then I realized nobody really cared, so i add a picture to everything I blog

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2004, 10:48 PM

I keep a blog about art direction. It's got fair number of regular readers.

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2004, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by dampeoples:
I used to blog with stories, etc, but then I realized nobody really cared, so i add a picture to everything I blog
Pictures is what draws in the people, the words are what sends them away. Which is why I try and not put anything political on my webpage, unless its really pissing me off.

milkmanchris
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2004, 10:41 AM

Well, if you ever find yourself with a lot of free time you could spend it looking at sex blogs. I don't know how my friend found them, but he once directed me to a bunch of blog devoted to people's dumb sex lives.

Before blogs people just complained to other geeks via online forums. oh wait...

Yeah i have read some of those sex blogs, they are for deffo written by 30 year old bearded virgins, with too much time.

12" 1.33 G4 PB 80GB 768MB .....20GB iPod

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2004, 10:47 AM

God, I hate you MilkmanChris. No real reason. I just hate you.

redmeat.com

milkmanchris
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2004, 10:54 AM

Yeah i know we have had this conversation before.

However in a previous life i was that Milkman.

Whats your claim on my name

Taloston Man
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2004, 10:56 AM

Pictures is what draws in the people, the words are what sends them away. Which is why I try and not put anything political on my webpage, unless its really pissing me off.
Are Words inherently politikal?
Trevor Haldenby
www.ExposedBrain.com/trevor
MacBook 2.0 GHz / 2 gigs RAM | 60GB vidiPod, Shuffle

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by milkmanchris:
Yeah i know we have had this conversation before.

However in a previous life i was that Milkman.

Whats your claim on my name
I was so here first. You're just leeching off my fame here on MacNN. Which is why I have hired a hit man to kill you. Thats right. Kill you. Except I only spent $5 on him, so he may not be too good.

milkmanchris
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2004, 08:41 AM

I shall be awaiting your pint sized assasin

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by milkmanchris:

I shall be awaiting your pint sized assasin
He's at least four to five inches taller than that! Give me some credit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules