Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > "Cropping" a song?

"Cropping" a song?
Mobile Mod
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2005, 11:26 AM

Hey all, I was wondering if there was a way to "crop" some mp3 files that I have? I basically want to make some ringtones but I just want certain parts of certain songs. I know you can do this pretty easily on Windows but do not know of a program on the Mac that does it.

Any help is appriciated,
Justin
AlPB 15" Rev. C (1.5GHz) | 30GB 5G Apple iPod Video | SE S710a

Apple Certified Portable Technician, Apple Certified Desktop Technician, Apple Certified Help Desk Agent

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2005, 11:41 AM

Yes, we have had a thread on this before.

You can use iTunes to do it. If you do a search, you should be able to find the exact steps.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Mobile Mod  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2005, 11:46 AM

What should i search for? I searched first but finding the terms for this is what made it so hard for me find it... Also, i know in itunes you can make it start the song at a specific time, but would that transfer to my phone as well?

Thanks,
Justin
( Last edited by Mobile Mod; Oct 24, 2005 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Forgot content)

Apple Certified Portable Technician, Apple Certified Desktop Technician, Apple Certified Help Desk Agent

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2005, 11:48 AM

Allow me to quote myself from that thread, found here. .

From an edited hint a long time ago at macosxhints. I've done it and it works flawless. If you have bluetooth, you can send the file via bluetooth then save it on the phone. Once it has been saved, you can make it a ringtone.

First, in iTunes you need to go to Prefs, then Import, then change your import settings to mp3. Then, find the song you want, and go through the song to figure out which part you want to be the ringtone (IE: 00:30.00 to 00:42.00) and then Command-I to get info on the song

Under the Options tab in the Get Info menu, check both start and stop time and enter the start and stop times for the ringtone section (IE: Start time 00:30.00 End Time 00:42.00).

You may want to play it once to make sure it's well cropped. Then, just select the song in your library and go to Advanced -> Convert Selection to MP3. It will automatically convert ONLY the portion of the song that you selected to a new, cropped MP3 file, which can then be dragged onto the desktop and used.
My Nokia 6630 handles AAC files as well so you can leave it as as AAC or convert it to AAC > Podcast quality to save even more space. I've done songs from the iTMS as well with no problems.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Mobile Mod  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2005, 11:54 AM

Thanks a ton man!

Justin

macanon
Oct 26, 2005, 09:57 PM

I heard about a program, Audacity? Anyone use this for shortening songs? i'm fed up with itunes!

pacey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2005, 11:45 AM

Audacity is SUPERB for editing audio. And it's free!!
It works perfectly on OSX Tiger and Panther, previous OS's I can't be sure on. It's simple to use and gets the job done without hassle. I'm a Logic user but sometimes I use Audacity to cut down or edit out a certain part of a song because it's so quick to do. If you download the LAME mp3 converter (freeware) you can also export your audio to mp3. I'm pretty sure you can import mp3's off-the-bat with Audacity though, I think it's just exporting to mp3 that requires the converter.

The guys at work are sick of me going on about Audacity... but I still see them using it!!
Pacey

pacey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2005, 11:47 AM

PS: You can make fade in/outs and crossfades automatically with it - which I imagine you may need to do if you're using a part of a song for a ringtone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules