Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Quark Dongles

Quark Dongles
feldmeth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2000, 11:02 PM

We upgrade our Macs to G4s. QuarkXpress Passport 4.1 requires a dongle (seriously) to copy protect itself. We follow the Quark web site instructions, purchase Griffin iMate ADB to USB adapters and ...the Quark installation software says it can't find the dongle. According to the Quark web site, we have done it correctly. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Greg Feldmeth

Ruddigger
Senior User
Dec 21, 2000, 02:07 AM

I didn't think you could run dongle's through adapters. I also though they had a USB version of their dongle. At my school, the server G4 has a dongle and all the other computers run Quark through that dongle. Not quite sure how they have it set up though...

------------------
-Ruddigger
------------------
Have you had your
gigaflop today?
Proud owner of the Original Macintruck

Riemert.NL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2000, 12:18 PM

Make sure you use the latest drivers for the i-mate and check if the i-mate is working with Apple system profiler. We have three G 4's with i-mate , no problems and check out update 4.1.1 for Quark

feldmeth  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2000, 09:26 PM

Thanks,

It turned out that we needed to install the newest iMate driver. Griffin's web site explained that, Quark's didn't. I think they may want to develop a USB dongle. This installation turned out to be a pain in the rear.

G Feldmeth

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2000, 12:11 AM

No one has ever complained about my dongle not working... oh wait, wrong bulleting board...

MacInLove
Dec 22, 2000, 01:25 PM

We have 4 license of quark 4.11.
1 ADB dongle, 1 ADB dongle with Imate and 2 USB dongles.
We had big problems with the combination ADB dongle and Imate.
After a few month the Imate made it impossible to shut down the G4 instead it did restart over and over again. We had to pull out the plug and remove the Imate which we had to through away.
After a long call with Quark they sent as the USB dongle which work great. A few weeks late we ordered one more license and got a quark with ADB dongle and an Imate.

The answer I got were that rainbow has not enough to dongles for the market.

Hylton Coxwell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2000, 06:32 PM

For anyone having any problems with Quark:

If you're doing page layout, stop fooling around and go buy either InDesign or PageMaker.

If you're doing ad creation ... buy Multi-Ad Creater2 and save yourself a lot of hassle.

Everything about these programs is far better designed than that sub-standard Quark (just go through the install process on Quark and in any of the above and you'll see what I mean).

ibookguy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2000, 07:26 PM

Sorry Hylton, I have to disagree. As a prepress sys admin, I have to deal with all the rip problems and postscript errors. Quark is by far, better at getting the jobs out! That is what it's alll about, right?

Michael
Michael

andrewg
Dec 22, 2000, 07:42 PM

Try trapping in InDesign or Pagemaker. Forget it

feldmeth  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2000, 07:58 PM

Interesting discussion. Started with a Quark dongle problem (now solved), now into a Quark vs. Pagemaker debate. We are a private school in Pasadena, California that made the expensive (for us) migration to Quark from Pagemaker about three years ago for our publications, quarterly news magazines, student newspaper, yearbook, you name it. It was well worth it. While neither program is what you would call intuitive, Quark is much more powerful. Our students have mastered its essentials with no training.In addition, our local printing bureaus have told us to bring Quark, not Pagemaker to them for professional printing jobs.

------------------

Hylton Coxwell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2000, 01:17 AM

Hi Michael,

Yes, I too am a sys admin ... for a large newspaper. And my point was: people should be using the program that best suit their needs. For example people doing basic layout (little or no color seps required) will find PageMaker that best for the job. <-- Yes, forget trapping ... but if you don't really need it, who cares?

Multi-ad Creator2 is by far the best for ad creation ... because it gets the job done. And InDesign has proved itself as our tool of choice for complex layout in our office.

As far as service bureaus, PS errors are concerned ... here's one word that's made life much easier for us:"PDF."

Now, the only reason we have Quark is to be able to open files sent to us by the odd ad agency that's still using it (or seem to be unable to figure out how to make a PDF from it??). If we were using Quark, there's no way we'd get three editions out the door each week.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Dec 26, 2000, 01:31 AM

IMHO PageMaker was never that great, I also don't believe it'll be around much longer with InDesign around. I demoed InDesign at home, but at my place of work (printing pre-press graphics firm) we still use QuarkXPress, and we have PageMaker (which see's very little action). 99.999% of every file we receive from agencies and vendors are Quark.

I haven't received a single InDesign file from a client or agency to date. When I demoed the app I was quite impressed with the major improvements made to thier previous layout application PageMaker. InDesign definitely has a better UI than PageMaker that much is obvious.

But as mentionned above output is the real test, I never had the chance to test InDesign in a real working environment, and have only heard that it's got a long way to go to replace other industry standard layout software. If they ever truly work out those problems however, they could potentially give QuarkXPress a run for it's money.

As for the dongle issue (which is what this thread was supposed to be about in the first place), I can only add that if your'e using them in a classroom keep them locked up, and issue them as needed. When I was taking a Quark Class a few years back (I'm an older student) students were literally stealing the things. By the end of one semester about 50% of the dongles were "MIA". Several students couldn't even work because there were not enough dongles, and not every college kid owns QuarkXPress at home.

Eventually they started locking them up and making us turn in our ID's in exchange for them. We'd get our ID's back when we returned the dongles at the end of each class.

Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules