Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > B&W G3, MacOS X & not DSL

B&W G3, MacOS X & not DSL
sehix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2000, 12:43 AM

I've installed MacOS X beta several times in the past day, with the same general result:
No connection to internet over DSL.

Using the same settings as other systems here, it doesn't see the net, although I can ping a few IP addresses outside the local firewall.

MacOS X installed on ATA drive, MacOS 9 on first SCSI drive, MacOS 9 installed on ATA drive for Classic use.

Everything seems to work fine, except for DSL connection to internet. Suggestions?

My config:

�B&W G3/400/512MB
�Apple Multiscan 20 monitor
�Drives:
� ATA bus: Maxtor 20GB ATA/33
� SCSI bus (Adaptec 2940U2B, U2LVD):
IBM, 9GB U2-LVD
Quantum Atlas V, 18GB U2-LVD
�Printer:
LaserWriter 4/600 over ethernet
�ADB bus:
Apple Extended keyboard II
Kensington Thinking Mouse (4-button)
�USB bus:
Agfa 1212u scanner
Sony CRX-100E CD-RW

Wetsponge
Sep 20, 2000, 10:21 AM

are you using a DSL modem connected directly to your computer? Are you using a Hardware router, any software routing? In OS 9, did you use EnterNet 300 to connect Via PPPoE? If your DSL connection uses PPPoE, there is not support yet for OS X, you will have to get a HardWare router (which is what I use) and everything is peachy

sehix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2000, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Wetsponge:
"are you using a DSL modem connected directly to your computer?"

Darn...forgot to include that. Sorry.

"Are you using a Hardware router, any software routing?"

MacSenseTech MIH-120 xRouter connected to a Fujitsu Speedport DSL modem.

"In OS 9, did you use EnterNet 300 to connect Via PPPoE?"

Nope, direct (DHCP setup) connection through router.

"If your DSL connection uses PPPoE, there is not support yet for OS X, you will have to get a HardWare router (which is what I use) and everything is peachy "

Maybe the peaches aren't quite ripe yet. :}

Someone elsewhere suggested configuring for connection through LAN rather than DSL modem...we'll see.

Thanks.

Sep 21, 2000, 01:35 AM

Sehix says

"Someone elsewhere suggested configuring for connection through LAN rather than DSL modem...we'll see."

They are right. If you have your system connected to a router, which connects your DSL modem to your LAN or even directly to your ethernet port, you SHOULD configure your connection as a LAN connection.

sehix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2000, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by [email protected]:
Sehix says

"Someone elsewhere suggested configuring for connection through LAN rather than DSL modem...we'll see."

They are right. If you have your system connected to a router, which connects your DSL modem to your LAN or even directly to your ethernet port, you SHOULD configure your connection as a LAN connection.
I tried. No joy. (Setting up either way, DHCP or fixed IP address...none joy.)

Next time, I try connecting directly to the DSL modem with a crossover cable.

Everyone else at home is going to be *so* happy being booted off the net during the test. (I'll tell them it's for a good cause.)

Mr. Ed
Sep 21, 2000, 11:11 PM

I've got a Rev. A iBook that, when connected to an ethernet hub when it boots up, won't communicate with my DSL modem. *IF* I wait until the iBook displays the "happy mac" icon and THEN connect to the ethernet hub, it works fine (i.e., its gets the IP address via DHCP and I can connect). In fact, I'm posting this reply from my OS X iBook connected via DSL right now.

--Ed

sehix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2000, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by sehix:

This approach worked. Now to figure out why the router approach failed...for one thing, it appears that the DHCP server lied about the DNS addresses.

sehix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2000, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by sehix:

This approach worked. Now to figure out why the router approach failed...for one thing, it appears that the DHCP server lied about the DNS addresses.

abnyc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2000, 08:18 PM

I've been playing w/OS X client since the DP1-4 and I've liked it a lot. unfortunately the absence of VPN support built-in to Mac OS X PB is Apple's lack of a coherent & aggressive internet strategy. Third-parties and the crazy substition of sockets for streams (with only
'iffy' remedial possibilities via the Network
Kernel Extentions mechanism) PPPoE , RADIUS, IPv6/sec, SHIVA crap and whatever that whole category of substitution Network Kernel Extentions for the existing Mac OS 9.

Here is great chance w/Mac OS X client to try and recapture some netorking momentum by making sure that the VPN experience is embeded
and brilliantly executed.
your mother

Forum Links
Forum Rules