Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > MX1000 Bluetooth and OS X

MX1000 Bluetooth and OS X
muya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2005, 09:11 PM

I went out and bought the MX5000 combo because i was tired of waiting for a nice bluetooth mouse to be sold on its own. Anyway, the mouse is great but i have a few problems. Maybe someone can help me out. I can't get a few buttons mapped. They are acknowledged by OSX but i can't figure out how to map them. The buttons are the Forward and Back buttons and the Scroll Down and Scroll Up. I have used USB Overdrive but still cannot get these buttons to work. I have gotten the Switch Task button mapped successfully to expose, thank God. And I also had the back button mapped to the Dashboard but I don't want it mapped to that and no other buttons would work for the Dashboard.

Any help?

Darthmaul4114
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2005, 06:58 AM

i downloaded the drivers for my MX510 and i assume it works basically in the same fashion as the ones for the MX1000. for back and foward, it was already programmed into the driver i downloaded, but if not, set the button as a keystroke, and set the keystroke to command-left (for back) and command-right (for forward). basically what you would press on your keyboard to do the same function. if you want to have a button do an expose task, same concept, but first you have to disable its action in the keyboard controls or else when you try to get the logitech program to detect it, it will just carry out its expose task anyways. after about 5 minutes of thinking and then realizing this i did it. it works great. for about the past 4 months all i have been able to do with it is scroll up/down and left/right click.

o yea, as for the scrolling...mine was already preset to do that as well. it was just set to the 'scroll up and down' task. maybe it has a probelm with the mx1000 because it has the horizontal scrolling as well doesnt it? dunno how to help you there unless its a listed function in the drivers.

make sure to go to logitech.com and get the latest ones.
1.5Ghz 15" Alluminum Powerbook, 1.5Gb RAM, 64mb VRAM
iPod 4g 40GB
Dell 2405FPW

muya  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2005, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Darthmaul4114
i downloaded the drivers for my MX510 and i assume it works basically in the same fashion as the ones for the MX1000. for back and foward, it was already programmed into the driver i downloaded, but if not, set the button as a keystroke, and set the keystroke to command-left (for back) and command-right (for forward). basically what you would press on your keyboard to do the same function. if you want to have a button do an expose task, same concept, but first you have to disable its action in the keyboard controls or else when you try to get the logitech program to detect it, it will just carry out its expose task anyways. after about 5 minutes of thinking and then realizing this i did it. it works great. for about the past 4 months all i have been able to do with it is scroll up/down and left/right click.

o yea, as for the scrolling...mine was already preset to do that as well. it was just set to the 'scroll up and down' task. maybe it has a probelm with the mx1000 because it has the horizontal scrolling as well doesnt it? dunno how to help you there unless its a listed function in the drivers.

make sure to go to logitech.com and get the latest ones.

Thanks for the help. Logitech doesn't actually have drivers for this mouse. I guess because it's Bluetooth. I haven't found a way to assign key to the buttons.

Darthmaul4114
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2005, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by muya
Thanks for the help. Logitech doesn't actually have drivers for this mouse. I guess because it's Bluetooth. I haven't found a way to assign key to the buttons.
hmm weird, cuz when i was looking, i think i found some drivers for the MX1000 here:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/do...id=9409,OSID=9

or would they be different because yours is bluetooth and that one is RF
1.5Ghz 15" Alluminum Powerbook, 1.5Gb RAM, 64mb VRAM
iPod 4g 40GB
Dell 2405FPW

muya  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2005, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Darthmaul4114
hmm weird, cuz when i was looking, i think i found some drivers for the MX1000 here:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/do...id=9409,OSID=9

or would they be different because yours is bluetooth and that one is RF
Yeah I have those drivers installed and they are indeed different because of the Bluetooth. I don't think they should be but someone at logitech has his head up his ass.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2005, 02:29 AM

The MX1000 is RF only, isn't it? The MX900 is the Bluetooth model.

dazzla
Senior User
Oct 31, 2005, 02:39 AM

You get a bluetooth MX1000 with the MX5000 desktop set.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10776

Logitech support for OS X sucks, I wanted to pick up another DiNovo but there's still not a mention of drivers for them.

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2005, 05:47 AM

I have the MX900 bluetooth mouse and have been using the GamePad Companion preference pane to map all of the extra buttons. It takes a little bit of experimenting at first to figure out which button is which in the preference pane (because its a generic mapper) but it works just fine. Not 100% that it works with the MX1000 but its worth a try. Download it at http://www.carvware.com/gamepadcompanion.html.

Cheers.

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2005, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by dazzla
You get a bluetooth MX1000 with the MX5000 desktop set.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10776

Logitech support for OS X sucks, I wanted to pick up another DiNovo but there's still not a mention of drivers for them.
How's this for a sales pitch worthy feature: "...see caps lock status at a glance."

muya  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2005, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by gradient
I have the MX900 bluetooth mouse and have been using the GamePad Companion preference pane to map all of the extra buttons. It takes a little bit of experimenting at first to figure out which button is which in the preference pane (because its a generic mapper) but it works just fine. Not 100% that it works with the MX1000 but its worth a try. Download it at http://www.carvware.com/gamepadcompanion.html.

Cheers.
this worked! thank you so much. still have trouble with the page up/down buttons but it isn't so important. thank you!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2005, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by gradient
How's this for a sales pitch worthy feature: "...see caps lock status at a glance."

Yeah, its pretty easy to impress those Windows users, I guess.

Wow! I can see the Caps Lock!

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2005, 06:36 PM

Hmm, glad I saw this. I have two MX900s already, and need a bluetooth mouse now for the Mac Mini. I was going to pick up another 900, but I think I'll wait now for the MX1000 Bluetooth version to be available separate from the keyboard bundle. Then I'll just have to decide what system gets what mouse.
<This space under renovation>

gjas18
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2005, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by muya
I went out and bought the MX5000 combo because i was tired of waiting for a nice bluetooth mouse to be sold on its own. Anyway, the mouse is great but i have a few problems. Maybe someone can help me out. I can't get a few buttons mapped. They are acknowledged by OSX but i can't figure out how to map them. The buttons are the Forward and Back buttons and the Scroll Down and Scroll Up. I have used USB Overdrive but still cannot get these buttons to work. I have gotten the Switch Task button mapped successfully to expose, thank God. And I also had the back button mapped to the Dashboard but I don't want it mapped to that and no other buttons would work for the Dashboard.

Any help?

Did you ever get the keyboard to work? My parents got the MX5000 Desktop for the PC Im building them and I paired the mouse and keyboard with my powerbook (BT 2.0 rocks ). Anyway, the mouse worked fine but the keyboard would pair as a MX 5000 keyboard but I couldnt type anything. I was thinking of getting one but if the keyboard doesnt work its not really worth it.

Is it really too much to ask to have a good bluetooth keyboard and mouse? (Apple's dont count. The mouse has only one button and I have never like the pro keyboard. Although, I love my powerbook keyboard)

Even on the PC side logitechs drivers suck royally. Is it that hard to put as much thought into the software as they put into the hardware?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2005, 11:37 AM

Hey guys - I got the DiNovo Media Desktop Laser kit (Mouse, keyboard and that silly num lock thing)
the keyboard works perfectly;
the mouse works, just need to figure out how to map buttons (with overdrive i imagine)
and obviously the media pad doesnt work.

El Mago
Jan 23, 2006, 10:10 AM

Any more help? I have the mx1000, and I can't even get to a screen to configure it using logitech's control center. Has anyone else been able to do this? I keep losing connection with it as well????

shughes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2006, 05:14 PM

Having similar problems as other. Bought the MX5000 desktop for keyboard and mouse, but can't get the keyboard to work. OSX recognizes the bluetooth keyboard and the volume slider will work, but nothing else. I'm using Mac OS X 10.4.5 on an Intel MacBook Pro. Either Logitech's support for OS X sucks or OS X's support for Bluetooth sucks. Maybe a little bit of both since Apple doesn't yet support A2DP.

irving47
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2006, 12:13 AM

shughes: What about USB Overdrive? Does that help any? The new version does support Macintel boxes natively... Can't hurt to try. I almost bought the 5000 kit today, so I'd be really interested to hear if any more functionality is gained...

Thanks,
Mark

j_gets
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2006, 06:48 PM

I am writing on my intel mac mini with my MX5k desktop. I haven't taken time to try to remap all the extra function bits, but I can type. In order to get it to work, I had to plug the bluetooth dongle into a USB port and not use the native bluetooth built into my machine. I expect that the dongle processes button presses into keystrokes, and since they do not offer mac drivers the system can't process presses to keystrokes with the native wireless.

If you have success remapping the extra keys, let me know what you use. I may give it a go if I find some extra time.

J

j_gets
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2006, 05:45 AM

USB Overdrive works fine for the mouse, but does not allow to modify the keyboard buttons that are non-functional without the extra software. Anyone know of a good keyboard editor that works with intel macs?

El Mago
Mar 21, 2006, 12:55 PM

Get Steermouse for it...it works absolutely wonderfully.

El Mago
Mar 24, 2006, 02:02 PM

ecking01
Forum Regular
May 14, 2006, 03:27 AM

Still waiting for a bluetooth mx1000 to be sold separately because I stupidly bought the apple bt keyboard....damn logitech what's wrong with you?

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by El Mago
Get Steermouse for it...it works absolutely wonderfully.
Were you saying this in response to the question about assigning the extra keys on the keyboard? Or is it just about mouse buttons?

On another note, I just discovered that GamePad Companion went Universal a few days ago, for anyone who cares..

Forum Links
Forum Rules