Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Please help save my beloved Yikes tower

Please help save my beloved Yikes tower
Scoo
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2003, 03:18 PM

Major Problems! Help!

My Mac:
G4 PCI (yikes) with Radeon Mac edition
PowerLogix 550 Zif upgrade
1 GB RAM

Frequent lock ups and/or unresponsive UI, frequently after Safari crashes.

New hard drive with low level reformatting and a clean install of OS X 10.2 doesn't help.

Zapping PRAM doesn't help.

Disk Warrior rebuild doesn't help.

FSCK finds no problems.

Unplugging USB hub doesn't help.

Is it a hardware component failure? Could the PRAM battery be causing this? I can't afford a new Mac!

I'm out of ideas, any and all suggestions welcome. The idea of putting my old buddy out to pasture is breaking my heart.
The music is not in the
piano- Clement Mok

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 11, 2003, 03:26 PM

It could be the power supply, or the power coming in to the system.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2003, 04:23 PM

Try pulling out the extra RAM, just leaving one DIMM in. If the problems persist, swap that DIMM. If the problems go away, add back the DIMMs one at a time until you find the culprit.

Also, you can try a full reset. Unplug everything from the computer (outside ports only, leave the drives and internal components attached) then pull the battery. Wait 20-30 minutes, put the battery back in, and power back on.

If you suspect power problems, get a small UPS. It will cost under $100 and remove that concern.

If none of the above works, try disconnecting the CD drives, powering back on and see if the unit runs correctly. If problems persist, reconnect the CD and disconnect the hard drive, Then boot off a test CD (an OS CD or an AHT CD if you still have it) and run the machine for a while. If this corrects it, the problem is with the disconnected drive (or, less likely, the controller on the logic board or cable to the drive).

If after all that you still have problems, it's the logic board or processor.

Good luck, and post back if you need more help!

Scoo  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2003, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by Xaositect:
Try pulling out the extra RAM, just leaving one DIMM in. If the problems persist, swap that DIMM. If the problems go away, add back the DIMMs one at a time until you find the culprit.
I'll try this first, and report the results. Thanks a lot all.

Also, you can try a full reset. Unplug everything from the computer (outside ports only, leave the drives and internal components attached) then pull the battery. Wait 20-30 minutes, put the battery back in, and power back on.

If you suspect power problems, get a small UPS. It will cost under $100 and remove that concern.

If none of the above works, try disconnecting the CD drives, powering back on and see if the unit runs correctly. If problems persist, reconnect the CD and disconnect the hard drive, Then boot off a test CD (an OS CD or an AHT CD if you still have it) and run the machine for a while. If this corrects it, the problem is with the disconnected drive (or, less likely, the controller on the logic board or cable to the drive).

If after all that you still have problems, it's the logic board or processor.

Good luck, and post back if you need more help!
The music is not in the
piano- Clement Mok

Scoo  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2003, 06:57 AM

It was the RAM. I pulled all DIMMs, tried running with one at a time. The second DIMM was the culprit, it wouldn't even get past login. The three remaining DIMMs are back in the machine, and it is once again running like a champ, and a good deal faster too.

Thanks so much for your help everyone! MacNN Forums rule!
The music is not in the
piano- Clement Mok

superblue
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2003, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by Scoo:
My Mac:
G4 PCI (yikes) with Radeon Mac edition
PowerLogix 550 Zif upgrade
1 GB RAM
By the way, what do you think of the Zif upgrade? I'm running a 400mhz PCI Yikes G4 and am curious about the upgrade - how much do they cost?

Forum Links
Forum Rules