Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Graphic Designers and 12"PB

Graphic Designers and 12"PB
ablao
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2003, 02:42 PM

I was wondering if there are any graphic designers out there using a 12 AlBook as their
main computer (using a display of course). How is the speed/performance of programs like, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and Quark on it compared to a 15" Albook.

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2003, 04:01 PM

I don't know about the comparison with a 15", but I can tell you the 12" is plenty to run photoshop, Indesign, etc. If you max out the ram, especially, it can run whatever filters you want or handle pages and pages of layouts with high-res images.

As far as screen real estate goes, a 12" running at 1024x768 is a pretty decent amount for use as a sketchpad. If you know lots of adobe keyboard shortcuts especially, you can get rid of the toolbars and have even more room to work with. Hook up to an external monitor, and you can look at a 11x17 spread without a problem. (don't bother with apple monitors, either. They're nice, but you could have a giant freakin' flatscreen for the price of even the smallest apple monitor. Color management is still a job for a monitor spider if you need accurate color.)
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2003, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by ablao:
I was wondering if there are any graphic designers out there using a 12 AlBook as their
main computer (using a display of course). How is the speed/performance of programs like, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and Quark on it compared to a 15" Albook.
I am now using my pbook as my main computer. It is a rev B 12".

I have a 21" sony p1110 flat screen that I can hook up to, but actually I have not had the notebook for more than a week. Since I have not started any major projects in that time, I have not needed to hook it up to the external screen, but for all touch up work that I have done, PS has been extremely fast. In fact, I still have the stock 256 ram in here and it is faster than my athlon 1800 with 512 ram.

It definetly is fast enough and I think that you shoulld be fine.

Scoo
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2003, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Fellow2000:
I am now using my pbook as my main computer. It is a rev B 12".

I have a 21" sony p1110 flat screen that I can hook up to, but actually I have not had the notebook for more than a week. Since I have not started any major projects in that time, I have not needed to hook it up to the external screen, but for all touch up work that I have done, PS has been extremely fast. In fact, I still have the stock 256 ram in here and it is faster than my athlon 1800 with 512 ram.

It definetly is fast enough and I think that you shoulld be fine.
I too am considering a 12 AlBook for graphics/iDVD/surfing to suppliment my beloved Yikes! PCI G4. Does it do "Clamshell" mode? If the graphics card diverts all video memory to an external monitor I may just get one....
The music is not in the
piano- Clement Mok

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2003, 11:46 AM

I'm going to buy a 12PB for my graphic design work at the end of this month...maybe a second monitor as well.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

Macola
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by Scoo:
I too am considering a 12 AlBook for graphics/iDVD/surfing to suppliment my beloved Yikes! PCI G4. Does it do "Clamshell" mode? If the graphics card diverts all video memory to an external monitor I may just get one....
Yes, it works just fine in clamshell mode (Rev A 12", I assume Rev B is similar).
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2003, 03:38 PM

i use:

~ quark 5
~ illustrator 10
~ freehand mx
~ photoshop 7
~ streamline 4
~ after effects 5
~ image ready 7
~ acrobat 5
~ suitcase 10

i tried the 12" for design work but it was too small. i found zooming in and out to see the entire composition a pain in the arse. sure, you can attach a larger monitor but that doesn't bode well with the person sitting next to me on planes.

also, i like the fact that i can get 1GB RAM in my Ti and 2GB RAM in my 15" aluminum.

Forum Links
Forum Rules