Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PCI G4 files to D1.8 G5

PCI G4 files to D1.8 G5
Scoo
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2004, 08:27 AM

I will soon be purchasing a Dual 1.8 G5 to replace my trusty Yikes! machine. Can I use Carbon Copy Cloner to move files over a LAN? Also, The Yikes! is running Jaguar, will there be any issue moving my home folder from Jag to Panther?
The music is not in the
piano- Clement Mok

CIA
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2004, 09:38 AM

Shut down both machines and start up one holding down "T" on the keyboard. This boots the machine into "Target Disk Mode", turning it into essentially a big expensive firewire hard drive. Hook a firewire cable directly from one machine to the other and then boot the other machine normally. You can copy over your file data this way, and you should re-install your apps off of CD anyway for the best results in general. Remember when all is said and done to repair permissions using disk utility.
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

OreoCookie
Jan 10, 2004, 10:03 AM

Don't use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your whole user dir and expect it to work. The Prefs might not work.

Copy your lib instead and import addresses and other things manually. For that, the regular copying in the Finder should do it. As suggested above, I'd also use target disk mode.

Make sure, you have a backup left.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2004, 08:36 AM

CCC is best for copying and making backups of SYSTEM folders and OS installations, not for transferring files.

That is unless you want to clone an entire drive.

Use Target disk Mode.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2004, 05:32 PM

You could also boot from the 'Software Restore' CD and partition your new G5's drive (I recommend doing this anyway) into at least two partions.

On the second partition, install a fresh copy of Mac OS X, and reboot to that install.

Now use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your G4's hard disk (with your Yikes machine booted in firewire target disk mode) onto the first partition of your G5's hard disk.

Now boot from the G5's software CD and perform an installation of OS X over your cloned G4 install using the 'archive and install' option to preserve all your user settings and software installs.

This is how I moved my 10.2.7 install on my old G4 Quicksilver over to my new G5. It upgraded flawlessly and everything has worked fine since.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 13, 2004, 05:45 PM

FYI: The Yikes! G4 will not boot as the target disk because it has a different FireWire controller that does not permit that 'feature'. You can, however, use the G5 as the target disk and it's drive(s) will appear on the Yikes! just fine.

Also, you don't have to shut down the G4, just the G5 since it will be the target disk. Putting the G5 in Target Disk Mode would have the exact same effect as plugging in a FireWire HD into the G4, it doesn't require a shut down to work. You'll just need to be a little patient because it can take a few seconds for the disk(s) on the G5 to mount on the G4s desktop.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

OreoCookie
Jan 14, 2004, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by rhogue islander:
You could also boot from the 'Software Restore' CD and partition your new G5's drive (I recommend doing this anyway) into at least two partions.

On the second partition, install a fresh copy of Mac OS X, and reboot to that install.

Now use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your G4's hard disk (with your Yikes machine booted in firewire target disk mode) onto the first partition of your G5's hard disk.

Now boot from the G5's software CD and perform an installation of OS X over your cloned G4 install using the 'archive and install' option to preserve all your user settings and software installs.

This is how I moved my 10.2.7 install on my old G4 Quicksilver over to my new G5. It upgraded flawlessly and everything has worked fine since.
No, I would recommend a clean install, especially with a G5.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Jan 25, 2005, 12:02 AM

Hmmm...so instead of manually unscrewing the hard drive out of my dad's old g3, dumping into a firewire case, and plugging that into the new mini mac I got for him, I can just put the mini mac into target mode, and it will mount onto the G3?

Originally posted by Lateralus:
FYI: The Yikes! G4 will not boot as the target disk because it has a different FireWire controller that does not permit that 'feature'. You can, however, use the G5 as the target disk and it's drive(s) will appear on the Yikes! just fine.

Also, you don't have to shut down the G4, just the G5 since it will be the target disk. Putting the G5 in Target Disk Mode would have the exact same effect as plugging in a FireWire HD into the G4, it doesn't require a shut down to work. You'll just need to be a little patient because it can take a few seconds for the disk(s) on the G5 to mount on the G4s desktop.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2005, 12:31 AM

Correct.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Jan 25, 2005, 12:55 AM

thanks!
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2005, 12:37 AM

You guys are all screwing everything up. Seriously. You can use Carbon Copy Cloner to get your ENTIRE /Users directory as long as you copy over the netinfo database as well.

Exact same question with two slightly different models:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...41#post2379516
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules