Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Summer 2001 iMac and PCI G4 tower RAM compatible?

Summer 2001 iMac and PCI G4 tower RAM compatible?
Scoo
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2004, 10:48 AM

I had the very good fortune to inherit an "obsolete" (ha!) summer '01 500 Mhz iMac from my work. I also have a G4 PCI PowerMac which is now my son's game machine.

The iMac has 128 MB RAM and is running Panther, barely, the G4 has 768. My trip to RAMseeker.com seeems to indicate that these machines use the same type of PC100 RAM. Is this the case? Son doesn't need that much RAM, could I swipe a 256 DIMM from the G4 for the iMac?
The music is not in the
piano- Clement Mok

pat++
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 05:58 PM

The iMac uses PC100 SO-DIMM modules and the PowerMac G4 uses PC100 SDRAM... not the same thing I would say... it's not going to fit...

P
Dec 31, 2004, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by pat++:
The iMac uses PC100 SO-DIMM modules and the PowerMac G4 uses PC100 SDRAM... not the same thing I would say... it's not going to fit...
Sorry, no. An iMac manfactured in '01 would have to be the slotloading model, and they use regular SDRAM - which is the same as the RAM used in the G4. Belive me, I have one of those (though a slightly older model) and it's regular SDRAM. Scoo, go ahead and swipe.

The first flat-panel iMacs, which do use SO-DIMMs for on of the slots, were released in early 2002. The older iMacs, discontinued in mid 1999, also use SO-DIMMs, but the slotloaders do not.

P
Dec 31, 2004, 06:51 PM

<double post>
( Last edited by P; Dec 31, 2004 at 07:08 PM. )

Scoo  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2005, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by P:
Sorry, no. An iMac manfactured in '01 would have to be the slotloading model, and they use regular SDRAM - which is the same as the RAM used in the G4. Belive me, I have one of those (though a slightly older model) and it's regular SDRAM. Scoo, go ahead and swipe.

The first flat-panel iMacs, which do use SO-DIMMs for on of the slots, were released in early 2002. The older iMacs, discontinued in mid 1999, also use SO-DIMMs, but the slotloaders do not.
Alas, swipe I did, to no avail. The 256 Meg DIMM from the G4 fit perfectly, but I got the flashing "?" folder at boot time.

C'est la vie. Back to RAMseeker.com I guess.
The music is not in the
piano- Clement Mok

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 2, 2005, 03:45 PM

Well, they definitely use the same RAM. Perhaps it wasn't seated properly in the iMac? (In fact, that G4 is pickier about RAM than that iMac.)

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules