Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Powerpoint presentations bad for learning

Powerpoint presentations bad for learning (Page 2)
finboy
Apr 9, 2007, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Nobody asked questions about the schools' reputations, just whether or not they were accredited.
Accreditation now focuses on research output/quality as well as assurance of learning (assessment) of program outcomes, but the focus is much more now on accreditation status than it ever has been. Most faculty job listings specify a terminal degree from an accredited university (!). That's why there's a projected 5 year shortage of faculty coming up, and our salaries are through the roof (not that MY dean noticed).

As for the "training vs. education" debate I mentioned before: I just spent two hours in committee discussing new programs and whether they cross the line from education to training. It ends up not being a concern in our current specialized case, after explanation, but overall a major consideration at all levels. Folks brought the PowerPoint issue up for discussion as well.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2007, 11:09 AM

You'd also have to apply this topic in different ways depending on the subject matter.

For example, I think Powerpoint is essential in some sciences, especially memory-intensive ones such as biology. Anyone who's taken a cell biology or microbiology or evolution biology or biochemistry course would probably agree that having Powerpoint slides which can break down complex diagrams makes things a hell of a lot easier, in my opinion. My biochemistry professor actually mentioned in class how difficult it was for her to learn some of the concepts we were going through, since it all came out of a book or a prof's messy diagrams on a blackboard.

I dunno, I also learn almost entirely from visual cues as well, so it's all good.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2007, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
You'd also have to apply this topic in different ways depending on the subject matter.

For example, I think Powerpoint is essential in some sciences, especially memory-intensive ones such as biology. Anyone who's taken a cell biology or microbiology or evolution biology or biochemistry course would probably agree that having Powerpoint slides which can break down complex diagrams makes things a hell of a lot easier, in my opinion. My biochemistry professor actually mentioned in class how difficult it was for her to learn some of the concepts we were going through, since it all came out of a book or a prof's messy diagrams on a blackboard.

I dunno, I also learn almost entirely from visual cues as well, so it's all good.

greg

Why would Powerpoint be necessary? There are many varieties of overhead projectors, including digital ones.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2007, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Why would Powerpoint be necessary? There are many varieties of overhead projectors, including digital ones.
I think in this context he meant "a projected visual aid able to be changed by clicking a button or something" rather than "Microsoft™ Office™ Powerpoint™"

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2007, 11:23 AM

This is interesting, if only because I actually did a speech in college on the detriments of powerpoint to the education system. I did some research and came up with some interesting stuff, most of which I've forgotten.

One thing that stuck was a news article I found about how a team with NASA used PowerPoint to explain some complex engineering crap for a space shuttle, and the presentation was so poorly composed and cluttered and unorganized that they actually missed catching some incorrect calculations in the presentation. It was pretty bad.

PowerPoint isn't inherently evil, but people don't know how to use it anymore. It's great for displaying, as people have mentioned, diagrams or images or maps. But the bad side comes out when people try to put all the content from their lectures or lessons on a PowerPoint. My US Government teacher in high school did the same thing, but with overhead projector sheets - he put tons of crap on there, so you spent the class period copying down everything instead of listening. I've been in many meetings at my current job where people stuff slides with too much content, so that they can use it as a crutch to avoid having to remember too many things.

PowerPoint has a notes section for each slide. You can put scads of information in that part, and when the class or meeting is over, send out the presentation file (or even convert it to a PDF to keep people from inadvertently changing the content). That way, everyone has everything, and you an still be a good presenter.

The other part is that kids in grade school use PowerPoint to excessively supplement their speeches, and they never learn correct form in public speaking. Kind of like how kids rarely focus on reading anymore because everything they read is made into a movie.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules